Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Slayer

Victory's 200 year old Figurehead was cut up by a chainsaw

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

934
[REVY]
Members
2,631 posts
14,430 battles

So this article popped up in Facebook: Apparently, Victory's 200 year old Figurehead was cut up by a chainsaw in error........in 2009.

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/hms-victory-royal-navy-battle-trafalgar-b1799397.html

 

 

  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,159
[GWG]
Members
7,396 posts
14,182 battles

Officials in Spain and France:  "Whatever...  Can't see the big deal here.  Nothing interesting here.  Go back to what you were doing."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,125
[CO-OP]
Members
2,811 posts
28,367 battles

Destruction of a national treasure.  I'm sure the chainsaw operator will never live this down.

image.jpeg.b57aa56aa00bc5b2c60869091cd24e29.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
934
[REVY]
Members
2,631 posts
14,430 battles
23 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Destruction of a national treasure.  I'm sure the chainsaw operator will never live this down.

image.jpeg.b57aa56aa00bc5b2c60869091cd24e29.jpeg

on the one hand, yeah it sucks to be him, but on the other, I blame whomever was in charge of the restoration/renovation.

Someone had to approval the removal of the figurehead. Someone had to approve of it being cut up. The pieces were saved. Why have it cut up if you were saving it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
195
[WOLF8]
Members
705 posts
9,477 battles

Unlike hair styling, this might be an appropriate use for Gorilla Glue.  :cap_haloween:

  • Funny 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,358
[PVE]
Members
7,852 posts
23,816 battles
2 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

on the one hand, yeah it sucks to be him, but on the other, I blame whomever was in charge of the restoration/renovation.

Someone had to approval the removal of the figurehead. Someone had to approve of it being cut up. The pieces were saved. Why have it cut up if you were saving it?

My thoughts exactly...

"This is garbage...chop it into pieces...

Now put it in that storage bin to save"...

Wait...Wut???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
515
[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,628 posts
4,925 battles

It sounds like the work of some obscure Monty Pythonesque bureaucratic agency like say the Ministry of Historical Inaccuracies who ordered it to ensure it was the real thing after reading a post on some website that it was a fake... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,216
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,839 posts
25,782 battles
19 hours ago, Murotsu said:

It sounds like the work of some obscure Monty Pythonesque bureaucratic agency like say the Ministry of Historical Inaccuracies who ordered it to ensure it was the real thing after reading a post on some website that it was a fake... 

It sounds so absolutely ridiculous that something like this should happen.  And then one remembers how things are at work, at any organization.  I then thought, "Yeah, I can easily see this happen."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
934
[REVY]
Members
2,631 posts
14,430 battles
On 2/14/2021 at 12:31 AM, Murotsu said:

It sounds like the work of some obscure Monty Pythonesque bureaucratic agency like say the Ministry of Historical Inaccuracies who ordered it to ensure it was the real thing after reading a post on some website that it was a fake... 

 

22 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It sounds so absolutely ridiculous that something like this should happen.  And then one remembers how things are at work, at any organization.  I then thought, "Yeah, I can easily see this happen."

Article names the agency

 

Quote

What was believed to be a 'modern replica' sculpture was consequently cut into six pieces with a chainsaw and put into storage and in 2012, responsibility for HMS Victory (and all related material in storage) passed from the Ministry of Defence to the National Museum of the Royal Navy.

 

Edited by Lord_Slayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×