BrushWolf

Crime Story

11 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,884 posts
14,882 battles

Binging Crime Story and one thing that always stands out to me with period shows is that the cars and trucks all look too good.

[WPORT]
Members
8,118 posts
13,166 battles
5 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Binging Crime Story and one thing that always stands out to me with period shows is that the cars and trucks all look too good.

It's a side-effect of the vintage vehicles being "props".  
In order to keep them in available condition, they need to be kept in "showroom" condition.  Fully restored, fully functional and looking as "brand new" as possible.
They're collectable vintage vehicles that are the pride & joy of their owners when they aren't being used as movie/television story props, eh?

Edited to add:
Dear @BrushWolf, perhaps you'd prefer the car seen in this movie trailer for Electra Woman and Dyna Girl?

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,884 posts
14,882 battles
4 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

It's a side-effect of the vintage vehicles being "props".  
In order to keep them in available condition, they need to be kept in "showroom" condition.  Fully restored, fully functional and looking as "brand new" as possible.
They're collectable vintage vehicles that are the pride & joy of their owners when they aren't being used as movie/television story props, eh?

Truth but frustrating as there are never any faded rusted cars and faded paint which was the norm back then.

[WPORT]
Members
8,118 posts
13,166 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Truth but frustrating as there are never any faded rusted cars and faded paint which was the norm back then.

:Smile_honoring:

[GWG]
Members
7,396 posts
14,187 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

The scene is set in the late 70s, so we need dozens of rusted and burned out Vegas and Pintos scattered abandoned along the highways.

Edited by AVR_Project

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,767 posts
4,771 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

The scene is set in the late 70s, so we need dozens of rusted and burned out Vegas and Pintos scattered abandoned along the highways.

Disarmed bombs.  US companies trying to prove that cheap disposable cars are the bee's knees. 

I have to say, though, that they weren't nearly as boring to drive as some of the "quality" Japanese cars I've driven of late.

[WOLF7]
Members
875 posts
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Disarmed bombs.  US companies trying to prove that cheap disposable cars are the bee's knees. 

I have to say, though, that they weren't nearly as boring to drive as some of the "quality" Japanese cars I've driven of late.

You could get the Gremlin with a 304 cubic inch V8 and a 4 speed manual. That big of an engine in that small of a car was a recipe for fun. I think they called it the Gremlin X. Not all of the 70s econobox cars were junk.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,884 posts
14,882 battles
5 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Crime Story starts in 1963 long before clear coat paint so even cars only a few years old would have dull paint unless the owner waxed the car on at least a monthly basis.

[GWG]
Members
7,396 posts
14,187 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Crime Story starts in 1963 long before clear coat paint so even cars only a few years old would have dull paint unless the owner waxed the car on at least a monthly basis.

I recall Cadillacs with 6-shooter cap pistols welded to the trunk-lid chrome.  Some of the cars looked like they had 2 torpedo tube launchers in the grille.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,479 posts
6 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I went through three American pickups in the 70s. They were used but not that used. Two were less than six years old. All were piles of junk at less than 100,000 miles. I then bought a magazine that rated trucks (this was long before the Internet) and it said that Toyotas were the best. My first Toyota pickup lasted seven years and was only sold because it didn't have AC.  I drove my second for twenty years and over 250,000 miles. My current truck is 15 years old and has never had a single thing wrong with it. I will likely keep it for at least another ten years as the newer generation of Tacomas are actually a downgrade in quality from the 2nd gens.