You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
brywoo

new consumable- anti-radar chaff

9 comments in this topic

[IHW]
Members
5 posts
10,266 battles

I have a suggestion for a new player or ship feature. Radar is a feature currently available on certain ships. Since it is available what is the possibility of introducing ship fired "chaff" into the game to limit radar's usefullness within a fairly small area for a VERY limited time? The effect could be set into the programming as a similar coding to "smoke" but would only affect radar just as smoke only affects visual location but not echo or radar location. Chaff would be easy to introduce into the "MAP (control M)" screen, say as a blurred area of a different color (orange?) but would not appear at all (unless as a small pretty see thru cloud) on the main battle screen. Ship's would have a limited number of charges of chaff, a reload time, an effect timer, etc just as any other consumable. You could make it REALLY interesting by adding the chaff feature to an aircraft capability and have the ac "fire" chaff over friendly ships as "cover" for them just as ships "cover" each other with smoke screens.
Let me know what happens with this idea.

• Meh 1

[WOLF1]
Members
907 posts
1,888 battles
31 minutes ago, brywoo said:

I have a suggestion for a new player or ship feature. Radar is a feature currently available on certain ships. Since it is available what is the possibility of introducing ship fired "chaff" into the game to limit radar's usefullness within a fairly small area for a VERY limited time? The effect could be set into the programming as a similar coding to "smoke" but would only affect radar just as smoke only affects visual location but not echo or radar location. Chaff would be easy to introduce into the "MAP (control M)" screen, say as a blurred area of a different color (orange?) but would not appear at all (unless as a small pretty see thru cloud) on the main battle screen. Ship's would have a limited number of charges of chaff, a reload time, an effect timer, etc just as any other consumable. You could make it REALLY interesting by adding the chaff feature to an aircraft capability and have the ac "fire" chaff over friendly ships as "cover" for them just as ships "cover" each other with smoke screens.
Let me know what happens with this idea.

Well I think chaff was only used on aircraft, namely to disrupt German radar systems for British bombers at night raids. I doubt the effectiveness of chaff on ships IRL. The chaff will fall down into the water and become useless quickly, unless a plane above drops it.

this will disrupt the ship’s radar signature but the radars just pick up a larger area of reflected radio waves, so maybe it will be increased dispersion?

also how would this chaff be deployed? Mortar systems on ships? Secondary gun shell? Squadrons of planes dispersing it?

[GPORT]
Members
221 posts
13,088 battles
26 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

Well I think chaff was only used on aircraft, namely to disrupt German radar systems for British bombers at night raids. I doubt the effectiveness of chaff on ships IRL. The chaff will fall down into the water and become useless quickly, unless a plane above drops it.

this will disrupt the ship’s radar signature but the radars just pick up a larger area of reflected radio waves, so maybe it will be increased dispersion?

also how would this chaff be deployed? Mortar systems on ships? Secondary gun shell? Squadrons of planes dispersing it?

Might wanna re-check your military research history...........

Heck , even an old C64 game called Strike Fleet had chaff......it went off about 1/2 second after CWIS fired up .

[GPORT]
Members
221 posts
13,088 battles
30 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

Chaff was tried back when they started using missiles ......they wanted to see if it worked for the anti-ship missiles to decoy it into exploding in the wrong area / place .

Members
4,081 posts
44,059 battles

I believe the raspberry jam is still by far the most effective method used by all armed forces to mitigate radar. Unfortunately, Great Britain cornered the market on Raspberry years ago and hence electronic warfare was the obvious solution. Counter electronic jamming. 

The way it worked is you analyzed the incoming signal and sent back the inverted equivalent frequency. But many used multi frequency multiphase radar, and that made it more sophisticated and more computational analysis would have to be made to invert all the frequencies at once since they would shift across multibands several times per second. 

Jamming is hard bottom line, stealth is easy. Or you have to establish a good line of close in weapon defense to mitigate attack. Because you can't mathematically stop all of it.

In WW2, it was that every nation had some form of radar, but some nations adopted too late. WG can't level that field. Because some nations had it better than others. 

The only mitigation for this video game radar is to not get caught out in the open when it is activated by a cruiser. If you make a cruiser use it and you are behind cover, then he wasted it. He can't get you and neither can his team. But you have to lure him into activating it. 

Tricking a cruiser to activate their radar and waste it is a very useful tactic. It does win games, Because he sees you, but he can't do a damn thing about it. And you see him and you wait until he stops, then you attack him. 

The hunter does not like being hunted. So long as there is an island, you can work a cruiser to a nervous wreck. Remember, as a DD, you have concealment advantage. And when he runs out of radar, he has no advantage anymore. 

Make a cruiser waste them. It is actually fun and engaging. The added benefit is you are spotting the cruiser and your team sees that cruiser the whole time. A cruiser wants to be dark most of the time. But to be seen all the time can be unnerving. 

DD players should use their stealth skills more. Less guns initially when radars are there. Creep about like a hunter. 

A radar cruiser really does not like that. 

[WOLFG]
Members
11,782 posts
10,933 battles
14 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

I believe the raspberry jam is still by far the most effective method used by all armed forces to mitigate radar.

Only Lone Star would give someone the raspberry.

[IHW]
Members
5 posts
10,266 battles

LOL, some good responses, some-- ehhh. Yes, I was thinking along the lines of a periodic fired chaff type dispersal system that would blanket a limited area to "temporarily" disrupt radar in a very limited area, sort of a cloud like area until all of the chaff flakes had fallen into the sea. Each mortar charge to last for perhaps 30 seconds in the air. As I previously stated this is a short term effect, long enough to perhaps "break" an initial radar lock and at least allow a chance for a ship to get away. I realize the physics of a real world system but we're talking WOW where real world isn't always realized. Perfect example-- in WOW a bb's shell ricochet's off a dd with no damage or effect. Real world- a bb shell even hits water near the dd hull and plates/frames are warped by the water displacement/ballistic physics alone, never mind the charge in the shell or the actual kinetic energy transmitted from a ricochet to a hull.   PLEASE. 

Also I did mention the possibility of an ac firing chaff as cover for a ship. All of this is something I'd like WOW to look at as a bonus feature for a consumable. 

[WOLF1]
Members
907 posts
1,888 battles
4 minutes ago, brywoo said:

LOL, some good responses, some-- ehhh. Yes, I was thinking along the lines of a periodic fired chaff type dispersal system that would blanket a limited area to "temporarily" disrupt radar in a very limited area, sort of a cloud like area until all of the chaff flakes had fallen into the sea. Each mortar charge to last for perhaps 30 seconds in the air. As I previously stated this is a short term effect, long enough to perhaps "break" an initial radar lock and at least allow a chance for a ship to get away. I realize the physics of a real world system but we're talking WOW where real world isn't always realized. Perfect example-- in WOW a bb's shell ricochet's off a dd with no damage or effect. Real world- a bb shell even hits water near the dd hull and plates/frames are warped by the water displacement/ballistic physics alone, never mind the charge in the shell or the actual kinetic energy transmitted from a ricochet to a hull.   PLEASE. 

Also I did mention the possibility of an ac firing chaff as cover for a ship. All of this is something I'd like WOW to look at as a bonus feature for a consumable. 

Well you do know that even USN radar, which is renowned for being active for very long, lasts 30 seconds. You essentially negate the entire radar spot, since it takes 3 seconds before the whole team can see you after the radar is active