Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Spartan036

Littorio-class BB missed 4 secondary

7 comments in this topic

[SEAL]
[SEAL]
Members
50 posts
12,082 battles

I owned Roma for a while, and I was quite confused why there are 2 guns like item just located on both side of deck, and they have no indication or explanation at all.

I checked the Wikipedia and I know it not 100% right, but I still think when you guys developing this ship, these 4 secondary are missed:  

4 × QF 4.7-inch Gun Mk I–IV (12 cm) star shell guns.

I know developing team currently working on captain skills and I am not happy about it,

but this is another problem, please fix it, ok?

missing guns

Edited by Spartan036

[CVA16]
Members
6,189 posts
19,067 battles

I think those guns were ONLY for shooting star shells. And since WOWS doesn't use star shells, the guns are inert.  Some ships had signal guns too. Those don't count in WOWS either.

If you want to talk about uncounted guns, look at the Viritus U. bunches of anti-torpedo boat guns that are too small to be counted as 'guns" and don't count for AA either.

Don't hold your breath waiting for changes. Now if either had been a Russian boat....

Edited by Sabot_100

[SEAL]
[SEAL]
Members
50 posts
12,082 battles
4 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I think those guns were ONLY for shooting star shells. And since WOWS doesn't use star shells, the guns are inert.  Some ships had signal guns too. Those don't count in WOWS either.

If you want to talk about uncounted guns, look at the Viritus U. bunches of anti-torpedo boat guns that are too small to be counted as 'guns" and don't count for AA either.

Don't hold your breath waiting for changes.

I know what you mean, but I think this gun is not just for that purpose, look at wiki description about this gun:

QF 4.7-inch Mk I – IV naval gun - Wikipedia

It could be used to fire star shells, but I don't think this is the only reason they are amounted.

By the way this is 120mm gun, it is not small caliber at all, and it does has AP and HE shell exist for it.

[CVA16]
Members
6,189 posts
19,067 battles
Just now, Spartan036 said:

It could be used to fire star shells, but I don't think this is the only reason they are amounted.

It could easily be the only shells they carried for them were star shells. They mounted the guns because they already had 4.7" star shells in the inventory and they didn't want to develop them for the 6" or the 90mm (probably too small for a decent star shell anyway). The gunners may have been AA gunners primarily but what is an AA gunner going to do at night?

The idea might be your 6" guns are loaded and mostly pre-trained waiting for a target. The 4.7 shoots a star shell in a high arc and the 6" can adjust and fire quickly. If this gun was meant for combat firing, it would have more protection like all the other guns on the BB. It looks very much like an afterthought.

• Cool 1

Members
1,186 posts
1,698 battles
34 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

That, however, doesn't explain why Dresden's secondary battery doesn't fire. Those guns are bigger than some main battery guns, are mounted way too low for star shells, and there is a broadside of four.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,472 posts
13,117 battles

Italian 120 mm/40 Model 1893 to be particular.

They were out of service as actual weapons around 1918.

By 1940, they were exclusively used for starshells by the Italians, they had no fire control equipment.

They are functionally the same guns as you'll find on the Isokaze at tier 4. Kawachi also has a few of them, but has an artificially increased rate to make them remotely useful.

On a tier 8 BB, they're almost completely useless.

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,472 posts
13,117 battles
14 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

That, however, doesn't explain why Dresden's secondary battery doesn't fire. Those guns are bigger than some main battery guns, are mounted way too low for star shells, and there is a broadside of four.

Dresden's secondary's are http://navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_52cm-55_skc06.php guns.

Minimum size for a secondary in game is 76mm if I remember correctly, They simply won't pen the minimum hull plating by game mechanics.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this