You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cit_the_bed

Italian battleships: Dead on arrival

104 comments in this topic

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,433 posts
20,614 battles

Players have been waiting for 4+ years for these ships.

Generally the formula is : High accuracy or damage, slow reload. OR Fast reload, poor accuracy and damage.

Unfortunately Italian battleships have all of the bad attributes but not one of the good ones.

Slow, poor accuracy, and poor damage. 

It is quite obvious what wargaming has planned: Terrible T8-T9, overpowered T10. Why? Make people spend money to free xp to the T10.

The smoke is also too small, you can just shoot for the center and hit the ship almost every time.

To think we waited four years for this makes me quite sad.

• Cool 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 6

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
948 battles
5 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

It is quite obvious what wargaming has planned: Terrible T8-T9, overpowered T10. Why? Make people spend money to free xp to the T10.

That was one of the worst troll reasons I came up with. It's a last resort.

[VIKNG]
Beta Testers
406 posts
9,894 battles

Well, from what I've seen on Twitch and Youtube, there is definitely no need to rush and grind a bunch of free XP or italian Tokens, once they become available.

One less thing to worry about. :cap_cool:

• Cool 3

[GOOF]
Members
815 posts
6,791 battles

I have waited for Italians since 2016 I'm already on the fence as a cruiser main after CV failure ifhe failure AA failure and this new captain failure. 

Subs are just a deal breaker for me

If these Italian BBS are a bust well...........it's been fun.

Edited by grorg
  • Cool 6
  • Sad 1

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
222 posts
1,728 battles
35 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

You could say the same for the Vermont line that just came out. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
10,914 posts
18,890 battles

More Snowflakes. With the Italian BBs, I should have a ship for every day of the year.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,295 posts
8,554 battles

I seem to remember people calling French DDs, Italian CAs, and RN CAs dead on arrival as well.....

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Boring 1

[FML]
Members
4,155 posts
16,067 battles
1 minute ago, yashma said:

I seem to remember people calling French DDs, Italian CAs, and RN CAs dead on arrival as well.....

Well, wrt RN CAs and Italian CAs other than the T9-10 they’ve be right. 

Not sure why the hate for French DDs - they seemed superior to all Soviet DDs (though without smoke they get whacked by CVs, I suppose). 

[CVA16]
Members
6,162 posts
19,015 battles
4 minutes ago, yashma said:

Have to withhold judgement in this case. Lots of other posters think the BB SAP will be gamebreaking. 

Making the ships bad may be WGs answer to the SAP concerns.

Members
7,122 posts
22,043 battles
16 minutes ago, yashma said:

No, no one said that.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[SALVO]
Members
6,935 posts
5,502 battles
9 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Well, wrt RN CAs and Italian CAs other than the T9-10 they’ve be right. 

I've enjoyed all my RN and RM CAs up to T8 (but Albemarle which I'm just about to start testing). I'll gladly settle for a similar level of performance from the new line.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,206 posts
12,777 battles
5 minutes ago, Pura__Vida said:

No, no one said that.

Everyone said that, excluding the british CAs maybe. But the introduction of smokeless DDs, and slow reload average caliber SAP? Everyone says that. What nobody says, is why it's like that. To preserve the DD community.

• Cool 2

[KSC]
5,295 posts
8,554 battles
7 minutes ago, Pura__Vida said:

No, no one said that.

People most definitely did complain about all three of those lines being bad on release.  

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Boring 1

[SNGNS]
Members
601 posts
6,978 battles
1 minute ago, Crokodone said:

To preserve the DD community

you either have never played a dd in a game with a ita cruiser or never played a ita cruiser where there where dds...

Edited by TobTorp
  • Haha 1

[KSC]
5,295 posts
8,554 battles
Just now, Crokodone said:

Everyone said that, excluding the british CAs maybe. But the introduction of smokeless DDs, and slow reload average caliber SAP? Everyone says that. What nobody says, is why it's like that. To preserve the DD community.

The RN CAs probably got the most complaints of all of them, maybe not as much on the forums, but on Reddit it was far from uncommon to see random threads derailed with off topic discussions about how "bad' the Goliath was.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,840 posts
25,782 battles
34 minutes ago, yashma said:

Lots of the Ship Line Releases / Splits since the RU Battleship Line have been very questionable.  The good ships are the ones in Tier IX-X.  The rest are FreeXP sinks.  Personally, if there's only 1-2 good ships in a full line release, I don't consider it a good line.

Mogador & Kleber can be very nasty, but the rest of the FR DD Line?  Dunno about that.  Not to mention the FR DD characteristics of speed, fancy damage mitigation, and AP performance only comes together in High Tier.

ITA CA Line is trash and the only thing holding up that entire Line is Tier X Venezia.  She is literally the only ship you see any excitement over, or have had posts where her opponents think she's too much.

RN CAs?  IX Drake & X Goliath.  The rest?  No.  Even VIII Albemarle is a Tier VIII version of "Easy to wreck Emerald."

RU Cruiser Split?  Only the Tier X ships Petropavlovsk and Alexander Nevsky are worth mentioning.

USN BB Split?  Vermont is the only valid choice.  A very troubled ship to be sure, but her firepower is brutal a.f.  Kansas and MinneSLOWta?  No.

IKEA DDs?  Halland.  That's it.  That's the only one anyone ever talks about.  She's the goal, the rest is a FreeXP sink / set of stepping stones.

As for the upcoming ITA Battleships, I'm on the fence.  Battleship SAP is a very powerful, useful shell and offsets critical fail aspects of Cruiser SAP.  Because of BB SAP these ships have to be reigned in or they will run wild.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
7,122 posts
22,043 battles
21 minutes ago, yashma said:

People most definitely did complain about all three of those lines being bad on release.  

no they didn't.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 2
  • Meh 4

[K-POP]
Members
3,067 posts
24,564 battles
34 minutes ago, yashma said:

They are except the tier 9/ 10

Members
7,122 posts
22,043 battles
22 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

no one said that. in fact the opposite. dds 33% faster than others, Ca's that can smoke themselves, and RN crusiers that hit as hard as AP but with HE and cause fires..... no one said they were bad

• Meh 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,265 posts
12,206 battles
17 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

They sure did especially about the French smoke less DDs .

• Thanks 1

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,801 posts
12,586 battles
21 minutes ago, Pura__Vida said:

no one said that. in fact the opposite. dds 33% faster than others, Ca's that can smoke themselves, and RN crusiers that hit as hard as AP but with HE and cause fires..... no one said they were bad

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+french+dds+suck+site%3Aworldofwarships.com

1130 results.

Yes it sucks donkey [edited]. You telling me you would rather have any of these piles of craprather than a IJN/USN or UK destroyer.. wth are these [edited] thinking? [edited]

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+italian+cruisers+suck+site%3Aworldofwarships.com

1230 results.

New Italy Cruisers SUCK, Smoke Sucks, Shells Suck and Ships hit points Suck. Why even put them in the game like this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+british+cruisers+suck+site%3Aworldofwarships.com

2340 results.

If so, were all classes of British Cruisers suck, or did Wargaming just hone in on the worst of the British ships. How did the sun never set on the British empire with crap cruisers that have thin hulls and terrible range. I know that the English seemed to hate HE in all warfare in WWII but the AP only thing makes for frustrating gun work.

Remember, we have people who say this about the Thunderer.

image.png.d57e81c3d5db4b4cd3519f72c40d25ce.png

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 4

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,487 posts
22,867 battles

I remember a famous forum person making dozens of posts about Italian Battleships. 

Detailed history, pictures and schematics. 

Extrapolated conjecture on each stat the ship should have at what tier....

Then Germans got a tech line...

Roma came out to create hype.

Then British get a tech line....

French and Pan Asain....

Still no Italian Battleships....

For those of us that fell in love with the game in early days, it is unfathomable to think fake Russian Battleships came out before historical Italian ships....

Now to gimmick up those beautiful ships is blasphemy...

• Cool 8

[WOLFC]
Members
2,338 posts
1 hour ago, yashma said:

People (where people = more then 1)  complain about everything in this game on release.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,662 posts
25,143 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

More Snowflakes. With the Italian BBs, I should have a ship for every day of the year.

Honestly the tech tree ships are dead to me now with the skill rework and the only reason I want them is for the coal & steel they represent. I am hoping I can earn enough tokens to get the tier 8 and be done with them so I won't have to do any grinding in them. Earning the tokens will allow me to "grind" using the ships I enjoy playing and the captains I want to play.