You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Karandar

Season of the Masochist

10 comments in this topic

[DPG]
Supertester
747 posts
18,409 battles

- 166 Stars required to max the rewards makes this is the BIGGEST grind in warships history.

- Still woefully few signal flags being rewarded

- Still no post battle repair flags

- Gold League has ZERO irrevocable ranks

- On the plus side for some will be the extended season, doubling the length of each sprint for a 3 month event making it somewhat more available for part time players.

- Increased steel and doubloons rewards

- Additional rewards containers for ranking out look to add some nice extra's

Compared to past full ranked seasons, This season is Brutal. 

I detail it all here:

• Meh 3

Members
7,122 posts
22,052 battles

c'mon man. it's not 30 stars each week is it?. you said it was two weeks per session. so it's 15 per week, yes or no? 

From ten to one in the old way it was 40 stars from 10 to 1 with no irrevocable at ten only at twelve. (I don't count the additional window licker stars need from 12-10). Now its 30. Easier, by a ton. The only issue with this is the two week periods otherwise this is easier. 33% less stars needed to rank out (actually more).

Whatever the rewards are are not the goal of ranking out.

The missing credit reduction flags are a byproduct of the full onslaught of monetizing everything in this game.

I quit watching at the 3:50 mark as you are grossly misleading the public on this new ranked format.

[DPG]
Supertester
747 posts
18,409 battles
10 minutes ago, Pura__Vida said:

c'mon man. it's not 30 stars each week is it?. you said it was two weeks per session. so it's 15 per week, yes or no? 

From ten to one in the old way it was 40 stars from 10 to 1 with no irrevocable at ten only at twelve. (I don't count the additional window licker stars need from 12-10). Now its 30. Easier, by a ton. The only issue with this is the two week periods otherwise this is easier. 33% less stars needed to rank out (actually more).

Whatever the rewards are are not the goal of ranking out.

The missing credit reduction flags are a byproduct of the full onslaught of monetizing everything in this game.

I quit watching at the 3:50 mark as you are grossly misleading the public on this new ranked format.

there are 6  x 2 week long sprints.

Bronze is 14 stars

Silver 20 stars with only 1 irrevocable rank

Gold is 30 stars with no irrevocable ranks

To max out rewards 1x Bronze, 1 x Silver and 4 x gold plus the 12 qualification stars   = 166 Stars through the 3 month Ranked season, and same as in past, lose a game, lose a star unless you are top of your team.  This is not an event for the feint of heart.

Edited by Karandar

[RLGN]
Members
15,661 posts
27,384 battles
22 minutes ago, Karandar said:

This is not an event for the feint of heart.

Nor someone who straight up doesn’t give a flip about the mode, or the so-called rewards.

”But mah steel! Mah steel!”

What about it?

How long has steel been a currency?

Zero steel ships. Flint and Black I’ll never get because as far as I’m concerned I never earned them by Ranking out.

Thought about getting Sommers, until I read the WoWs wiki page and saw how utterly weak its AA is.

Don’t much care for any of the other biasbotes or trollbotes.

Guess the small amounts of steel I do get will just keep building up.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
7,122 posts
22,052 battles
18 minutes ago, Karandar said:

there are 6  x 2 week long sprints.

Bronze is 14 stars

Silver 20 stars with only 1 irrevocable rank

Gold is 30 stars with no irrevocable ranks

To max out rewards 1x Bronze, 1 x Silver and 4 x gold plus the 12 qualification stars   = 166 Stars through the 3 month Ranked season, and same as in past, lose a game, lose a star unless you are top of your team.  This is not an event for the feint of heart.

Bronze may disqualify you from playing more ranked games early if you blow throw this bracket quickly and you may have to wait a week or more to play ranked again. Same goes for Silver.

Once you get to the final irrevocable fail stop, you only need 30 stars compared to over 40 in the old version. ----------------This is the real test of ranked.

Silver has two irrevocables, meaning you only need to garner 10 stars each week in a very very easy bracket to gain stars.

the real issue with ranked is safe havens. this mode has more safe havens. it is easier to rank out this way than it was in the previous version. it's not even a close comparison. God knows I have hit the fail button in ranked and gone from 5 to 12 on multiple drunkin benders. That can't happen here. The worst i can fail back to now is 8.2 because of the amount of stars and irrevocable levels. (assuming I am in Gold)

Members
7,122 posts
22,052 battles

ten less stars needed against better competition  may be 100-200 less games.

If you go 52% in ranked and need ten stars you are looking at 170-200 more games assuming you get somewhat unlucky with star saving. Big big difference than the old way.

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,805 posts
12,612 battles

For the maximum currency for as little effort as possible route:

Sprint 1: Rank out in Bronze - 800 Steel, 200 Doobies, ~ 25 games/week, 50 total

Sprint 2: Rank out in Silver - 1000 Steel, 400 Doobies, ~ 30 games/week, 60 total

Sprints 3 - 6: Win 29 Times - 1000 Steel, 800 Doobies, ~ 30 games a week, 60 total

Final Earnings: 5800 Steel, 3800 Doubloons.

Assuming a 50% WR with no star saving or irrevocables, 350 games -> 5800 steel, 3800 Doubloons, and no stress about ranking out in Gold. I don't believe the remaining Steel at Gold Rank out is worth the effort unless you're super unicum.

• Cool 1

[DPG]
Supertester
747 posts
18,409 battles
13 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

For the maximum currency for as little effort as possible route:

Sprint 1: Rank out in Bronze - 800 Steel, 200 Doobies, ~ 25 games/week, 50 total

Sprint 2: Rank out in Silver - 1000 Steel, 400 Doobies, ~ 30 games/week, 60 total

Sprints 3 - 6: Win 29 Times - 1000 Steel, 800 Doobies, ~ 30 games a week, 60 total

Final Earnings: 5800 Steel, 3800 Doubloons.

Assuming a 50% WR with no star saving or irrevocables, 350 games -> 5800 steel, 3800 Doubloons, and no stress about ranking out in Gold. I don't believe the remaining Steel at Gold Rank out is worth the effort unless you're super unicum.

Great analysis Compass & 100% spot on. 

Ranking out in Gold this season is just not worth the effort with the returns so small. The 30 stars with no irrevocable in Gold is like playing from Rank 8 to 1 from full seasons past in all 4 of the last 2 weeks sessions - a monster task.  

I did some quick math in the video - to rank out in Bronze 1st week, Silver second and Gold the last 4 with a 60% WR would require 500 games and the captain being top of his losing team in 66 of the 200 lost matches to save his star. The number of games required go up super fast as your win rate drops.  That is equal or worse than 2 Benham Grinds in days of old ;) 

Members
23 posts
4,474 battles

Not to be that guy or anything......but if you had an exact 50% WR with no save-a-stars, wouldn't you net 0 stars overall? 

in fact I think you have to have 55% wr to net +1 star per 10 games As you need 29 stars to rank out in gold you would have to maintain a 55% wr for 290 games inside 2 weeks assuming no saves.