Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xamdam

wgc.exe is a Trojan?

14 comments in this topic

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
195 posts
13,147 battles

Why does Malwarebytes keep telling me wgc.exe is a Trojan? Mostly I see for "outbound connections" in the popups. 

One example below. But whenever there are updates, I get a bunch... Not exactly settling. 

Screenshot 2021-02-12 222122.png

• Haha 1

[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
353 posts
8,928 battles

HAHA thats funny i just had the same popup

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
33 minutes ago, xamdam said:

Why does Malwarebytes keep telling me wgc.exe is a Trojan? Mostly I see for "outbound connections" in the popups. 

One example below. But whenever there are updates, I get a bunch... Not exactly settling. 

Because it is one?

is that why the port screen takes like 95% system capacity? either way they’ve got us running it...

• Haha 1

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
51 minutes ago, xamdam said:

Here is the truth about those companies who, scare you into taking your money believing you need protection or a false sense of their security... Sound familiar ??

The Mob families and gangsters of the 1920  and 1930's did the same thing...

All these companies do, scare their customers into separating their cash from their wallets. These for profit companies, drive up sales with fear... One of the ways they play with your insecurities is...

1. They pretend to "monitor" your system to make you feel safe.
  2. They create false positives on random safe files
  3. They steer you away from "bad" sites and send you to the "safe" one... Coincidentally those safe sites are paying them to scare you to their "safe" site.
  4. They create the malware.virus and they themselves plant it on the their network you freely joined.
  5. AV is the habitual offender of these all practices. That is not to say similar sites dont practice these mob tactics.

As long as you feel

• Safe
  • Protected
  • Monitored
  • Secured

They know they have your money...

So no WG is not Malware... Nor is it a virus... Neither is Aslain...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Meh 1

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
195 posts
13,147 battles
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

Here is the truth about those companies who scare you into taking your money believing you need protection or a false sense of their security... Sound familiar ??

The Mob families and gangsters of the 1920  and 1930's did the same thing...

All these companies do, scare their customers to separate their cash from their wallets. These for profit companies, drive up sales with fear... One of the ways they play with your insecurities...

1. They pretend to "monitor" your system to make you feel safe.
  2. They create false positives.
  3. The steer you away from "bad" sites and send you to the "safe" one... Coincidentally those safe sites are paying them to scare you to their site.
  4. They create the malware.virus and they themselves plant it on the their network you freely joined.
  5. AV is the habitual offender of these all practices. That is not to say similar sites dont practice these mob tactics.

As long as you feel

• Safe
  • Protected
  • Monitored

They know they have your money...

So no WG is not Malware... Nor is it a virus... Neither is Aslain...

I beg to differ. I've used Malwarebytes on this "pro" license for going on 20 years now. Yeah, maybe not the same company it used to be but it's kept me out of trouble more times than it's got me in.

I think the issue is WGC.exe trying to connect to torrents or something. Thought I had that stuff turned off but I'll have to check again. It is annoying though. 

That said, I'd like to see an admin chime in on this. Since it is an important trust issue...

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
2 minutes ago, xamdam said:

beg to differ. I've used Malwarebytes on this "pro" license for going on 20 years now. Yeah, maybe not the same company it used to be but it's kept me out of trouble more times than it's got me in.

Court documents state other wise... A quick google search on the subject reveals what I noted... You may disagree with me, but the law (in must countries) is a neutral government body..

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
195 posts
13,147 battles

Regardless whatever conspiracy theories may exist about anti-virus, malware protection companies...

I get the same pop ups each time there's an update. Different IPs each time of course. 

I'm guessing it's some sort of imbedded torrent client that we, or at least I, have no way of turning off. Unlike the old launcher that had the option to disable torrents.

Any techies, not wearing tin foil hats have a clue about this? Preferably, someone wearing a WG badge?

Edited by xamdam

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
10 minutes ago, xamdam said:

Regardless whatever conspiracy theories may exist about anti-virus, malware protection companies...

A courtroom is a place of adjudicating the law... Its not a conspiracy... Its under oath...

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
967 battles
42 minutes ago, xamdam said:

I get the same pop ups each time there's an update. Different IPs each time of course. 

I'm guessing it's some sort of imbedded torrent client that we, or at least I, have no way of turning off. Unlike the old launcher that had the option to disable torrents.

Any techies, not wearing tin foil hats have a clue about this? Preferably, someone wearing a WG badge?

Well theft_2x.png

• Boring 1

Members
4,085 posts
44,091 battles

Try a fresh install of your game. because sometimes a malware will get in a legit program and mess with it. WG has competition. And I have reported to WG fake emails and links. So it would not be surprising that your game might have a malware issue that got in. But it may not be WG's fault. You can try a repair first and see or try CS and see what they say. Show them this pop up, and maybe they know. But usually a re-install fixes the issue. But I would be wary of email links. 

As a rule, If I get an email notification from WG, I check their website through WGC first through the news tab on the web site as that is far more secure. I then navigate in that way. I will read the mail, but won't open special links. Because that is how I got hit last time. I accidentally opened a special link and it did nothing. That is a warning sign that it was a bogus link. 

But if you are uncertain, then try Customer Service. 

• Cool 1

[TWWB]
Members
116 posts
On 2/12/2021 at 8:26 AM, xamdam said:

The game has the ability to download the installation files from WG and also from other players whom have the game center open. Yes it uses what appears to be a BitTorrent function (port 6881 is kinda dead giveaway), yes a lot of antivirus applications will flag BitTorrent applications (and/or certain IP addresses) and no we can not disable the bitorrent update function.

That doesn't mean you can't tweak game center if needs be.

• You can disable the upload capabilities in the "updates" setting. 
  • You can also specify a different port setting also under the "connection" settings.

Also for those interested - 

• In the "updates" setting you might want also wanna take note of (and if necessary adjust) the download speed setting, this can cause your internet to appear slower if your maxing out your download speed.
  • Also toggle off the option for "use all computer resources during installation" if applicable under the "updates" setting.

For those who get this again - no, WG.exe is not a virus. The blocking of a connection to an external IP address is not the same as a file being detected as being infected/malicious. You could get the same thing to appear if you tried to use a web browser and visit a domain in which the DNS points at an IP address your Antivirus application doesn't like for what ever reason.

If you download the game from WG then your going to get the proper game. It should have some sort of integrity check so a person throwing in a random piece of malicious code shouldn't (not that it ever will, but it's not likely.. I've never ran into any problems) be an issue

Edited by scoots76
  • Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
195 posts
13,147 battles
On 2/14/2021 at 12:17 PM, scoots76 said:

The game has the ability to download the installation files from WG and also from other players whom have the game center open. Yes it uses what appears to be a BitTorrent function (port 6881 is kinda dead giveaway), yes a lot of antivirus applications will flag BitTorrent applications (and/or certain IP addresses) and no we can not disable the bitorrent update function.

That doesn't mean you can't tweak game center if needs be.

• You can disable the upload capabilities in the "updates" setting. 
  • You can also specify a different port setting also under the "connection" settings.

Also for those interested - 

• In the "updates" setting you might want also wanna take note of (and if necessary adjust) the download speed setting, this can cause your internet to appear slower if your maxing out your download speed.
  • Also toggle off the option for "use all computer resources during installation" if applicable under the "updates" setting.

For those who get this again - no, WG.exe is not a virus. The blocking of a connection to an external IP address is not the same as a file being detected as being infected/malicious. You could get the same thing to appear if you tried to use a web browser and visit a domain in which the DNS points at an IP address your Antivirus application doesn't like for what ever reason.

If you download the game from WG then your going to get the proper game. It should have some sort of integrity check so a person throwing in a random piece of malicious code shouldn't (not that it ever will, but it's not likely.. I've never ran into any problems) be an issue

Thanks for the informative reply. Better than some WG support ones and much better than those tin foil headgear types that run around here. :D

My "Updates" tab already had "No uploading" checked. Download speeds at Unlimited (on a 1GB optical fiber connection). I've just turned off the "Use all computer resources during installation" box.

My question is, how do I select a port? I mean, I see the selection screen under "Connections" but what ports are applicable? Just any random number between 1 and 65535? Is there a recommended "range"?

[TWWB]
Members
116 posts
1 hour ago, xamdam said:

Thanks for the informative reply. Better than some WG support ones and much better than those tin foil headgear types that run around here. :D

My "Updates" tab already had "No uploading" checked. Download speeds at Unlimited (on a 1GB optical fiber connection). I've just turned off the "Use all computer resources during installation" box.

My question is, how do I select a port? I mean, I see the selection screen under "Connections" but what ports are applicable? Just any random number between 1 and 65535? Is there a recommended "range"?

If your not having any download issues then leave it as it is... Otherwise you could do 65530 or something along those lines.

Just be sure to avoid ones that are already allocated for other functions... Like FTP (port 21), HTTPS (Port 443 and Port 8443), HTTP (Port 80 and Port 8080), Pop3 (Port 110), SMTP (Port 25, Port 587 and Port 465) etc and etc.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this