You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

Ranked Battles: The Second Season

70 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,571 posts
15,077 battles

Steel, Doubloons, camouflages, and other rewards for the new season! Find out how to get them.

Read it on the portal
  • Meh 3

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles

Bronze with tiers VIII and IX :Smile_facepalm:

Why not make Bronze = Tier VIII, Silver = Tier IX and Gold = tier trash?

Gold leagues was already a cesspool, with awful gameplay. Not that it has double the effort in the most stressful environment for less steel than even bronze, I don't think people will want to go there.

And correct me if I am wrong, but the rewards for a season weren't actually doubled. It seems they were doubled for each sprint, which also lasts for double the time and pain.

Edited by WarStore
  • Cool 2

Members
6,209 posts
8,078 battles

While it's nice that T9s can be used outside of silver, I don't think it was worth the loss of a T8 only ranked league.

While I went up to Silver in the pilot season for the steel, Bronze league was fun simply because T8 is a great tier when it doesn't have to fight higher tiered ships.

I think this is a mistake honestly. Allowing T9s to play with T8s marginalized the T8 cruisers, as they don't get access to repair like the T9s. The longevity alone almost makes it a worse choice to play one of the T8s that doesn't have access to a repair party.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,548 posts
11,027 battles
19 minutes ago, WarStore said:

And correct me if I am wrong, but the rewards for a season weren't actually doubled. It seems they were doubled for each sprint, which also lasts for double the time and pain.

The rewards for the season are increased, because the season runs longer. It says that the duration of each sprint was doubled and the rewards for each sprint were doubled. This means the same rewards are available on a per-week basis, but there is less of a rush to get through each sprint in a single week or have to start over, which IIRC was one common criticism of the last season. This seems like a simple and elegant way to address that concern, with the only individuals I really see not benefitting from it being those that will blitz through the lower leagues quickly and have to wait 1-1.5 weeks for the next sprint to start.

15 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I think this is a mistake honestly. Allowing T9s to play with T8s marginalized the T8 cruisers, as they don't get access to repair like the T9s. The longevity alone almost makes it a worse choice to play one of the T8s that doesn't have access to a repair party.

I disagree. I played Bronze exclusively last season because I had lots of tier 8s to grind, and towards the end I was getting tired of seeing the same limited spread of ships on teams. I think giving players more options to play the ships they want is a good thing, and with mirrored MM facing ships one tier higher (even cruisers) isn’t that big of a deal. In fact, bringing a lower tier ship you are very skilled and comfortable with can actually be a boon for your team because it forces a tier 8 ship onto the other team who may not be as skilled and struggle more with being up-tiered.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

Members
6,209 posts
8,078 battles
18 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

I disagree. I played Bronze exclusively last season because I had lots of tier 8s to grind, and towards the end I was getting tired of seeing the same limited spread of ships on teams. I think giving players more options to play the ships they want is a good thing, and with mirrored MM facing ships one tier higher (even cruisers) isn’t that big of a deal. In fact, bringing a lower tier ship you are very skilled and comfortable with can actually be a boon for you team because it forces a tier 8 ship onto the other team who may not be as skilled and struggle more with being up-tiered.

While the last sentence is true, I was only making a class-to-class comparison between the tiers. And I didn't even bring up the fact that super cruisers are at T9. It gets worse when you look at the other classes.

T9 has way more 16 and 18 inch gunned BBs than tier 8. Those arguably marginalize all cruisers, as cruiser armor is worthless at that point (mainly regarding the 457mm battleships). At least with only T8s, cruisers like Baltimore, Eugen, Hipper, etc could compensate for the lack of a heal (even though Eugen gets a heal) by being able to tank BB caliber fire, as 15in BBs are both numerous and popular at T8. Not even heals really save the T9s from 457mm overmatch. :\

Destroyers are a bit better off, but in some lines you just can't compete. Most infamous example would probably be Kitakaze vs. Akizuki. Or Fantasque vs. Mogador.

One benefit I am seeing though is that T9s won't suffer as much against the T8 CVs. :Smile_sceptic:

It's fine if we can't agree though. I know that T8 only ranked is very popular, which the cynical side in me believes might just be why WG let T9s into Bronze. "No fun allowed." :Smile_hiding:

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Thanks 1

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles
16 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

The rewards for the season are increased, because the season runs longer. It says that the duration of each sprint was doubled and the rewards for each sprint were doubled. This means the same rewards are available on a per-week basis, but there is less of a rush to get through each sprint in a single week or have to start over, which IIRC was one common criticism of the last season. This seems like a simple and elegant way to address that concern, with the only individuals I really see not benefitting from it being those that will blitz through the lower leagues quickly and have to wait 1-1.5 weeks for the next sprint to start.

I disagree. I played Bronze exclusively last season because I had lots of tier 8s to grind, and towards the end I was getting tired of seeing the same limited spread of ships on teams. I think giving players more options to play the ships they want is a good thing, and with mirrored MM facing ships one tier higher (even cruisers) isn’t that big of a deal. In fact, bringing a lower tier ship you are very skilled and comfortable with can actually be a boon for your team because it forces a tier 8 ship onto the other team who may not be as skilled and struggle more with being up-tiered.

I get that. But if you are after the steel, this new structure is bad.

In the last season, which already was sub par for many, you could get 600 steel per week in Gold Leagues. Now you get 400 every two weeks, or 200 per week. That is bad, really bad. 

Also, they didn't address the other complaints, which are far more important than multiplying everything by 2 (except for steel). They are not addressing the try hards that fail their way to gold leagues, not dropping people back to other leagues and so on.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[DVYJC]
Members
3,869 posts
9,729 battles

The switch to Tier VIII-IX for Bronze is a net benefit to most players. The people penalized are those who do not play CVs and do not have Tier IX ships. But everyone who does have Tier IX ships is guaranteed matchmaking where any CV is always bottom tier, which honestly I consider pretty great. I do agree that Tier VIII participation is likely to drop off sharply, though, for people who wanted to play Tier VIII battleships, cruisers, or DDs. There's such a sharp power spike having access to the sixth upgrade slot and in most cases, getting the first access to repair party in the line. Plus the overmatch characteristics noted by other posters.

I am a little disappointed that the sprints have doubled in duration. I had a good rhythm in the test season where I could finish the week's directive by Tuesday or Wednesday, rank out in Silver by Friday, and then be basically good to go and play pretty casually on the weekend. Now Silver will be more challenging to rank out in and take a bit longer (more games between irrevocable ranks), so I'll likely have a second directive open while I'm still working on Ranked.

Also disappointed in the Ranked crate contents. I think most would have preferred the flat coal award.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,091 posts
22,511 battles
1 hour ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Steel, Doubloons, camouflages, and other rewards for the new season! Find out how to get them.

Read it on the portal

Well Chief, a game or two to keep my lowest ranked status and then:  PASS.   Not worth the time; nor, is the content worth the effort.  Your team really needs to come up with something a lot better than this M = P efforts.  Add a lot more "variety" of mandatory ship classes to break up the meta.  Open Ranked up........no Carriers.  Use Ranked as a Clan Battle primer.....  Anyway, I won't participate because it's simply not worth the rewards and the terrible mechanics of the mode....  Sorry.

• Cool 2

[_BDA_]
Members
490 posts
7,862 battles

Last round I only had 1 Tier IX in port and didn't make it past Bronze Rank 2 (mostly due to time available for fighting).  Now I have 4 and its doubtful I'll sail with anything else in Bronze because I've seen what ships I'd be up against at that level and know how quickly my Tier VIII ships would evaporate.

Tier VIII and IX in Bronze isn't a very good idea.

• Cool 1

[ASHIP]
Members
33 posts
18,405 battles

So why does Gold League have less STEEL to earn then Bronze and Silver? so once ur locked into Gold league you can get 400 Steel?

[AZUR1]
Members
192 posts
4,538 battles

Double reward+Double league time = same reward as before+ 1.5 times stars required +harder to achieve rank 1

Who got this amazing idea, a spy come from another company with name cannot speak?

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,548 posts
11,027 battles
1 hour ago, WarStore said:

I get that. But if you are after the steel, this new structure is bad.

In the last season, which already was sub par for many, you could get 600 steel per week in Gold Leagues. Now you get 400 every two weeks, or 200 per week. That is bad, really bad. 

26 minutes ago, Get_of_Fenris said:

So why does Gold League have less STEEL to earn then Bronze and Silver? so once ur locked into Gold league you can get 400 Steel?

Take another look. Each league has multiple “win thresholds” that reward steel. Gold allows you to earn 1200 steel every 2 weeks (or 600 per week if you rank out). In fact, you can argue that this reward structure is better, because only 200 steel of that 1200 is locked behind ranking out of gold and the rest can be achieved by winning 15 battles over the two weeks of each sprint, which should be fairly easy.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Thanks 1

[KWF]
Members
5,757 posts
7,003 battles

Are you trying to make us nostalgic for the old Ranked? The one that you know, gave out specific signal rewards? That didn't reset all the time so you could do it at your own pace?  That gave out very useful flags to help with the repair costs?

By trying to make Ranked accessible to more casual players in such a way (in itself a good goal) you have managed to make it be more like work than a game you play for fun.

• Cool 1

[MR-1]
Members
1,785 posts
22,265 battles

hate this ranking system its terrable   thats why i wont play it ... bring back the old system . apart from clan battles i always enjoyed playing rank but  this reset every week   is so bad   . they dont even let us continue to collect  rank stars towards the emblems .  if your going to reset every week ( which caught out a lot of players  the last time ) then we should still  get to collect  rank stars towards emblems as well 

Edited by Gaelic_knight
  • Meh 3

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles
32 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Take another look. Each league has multiple “win thresholds” that reward steel. Gold allows you to earn 1200 steel every 2 weeks (or 600 per week if you rank out). In fact, you can argue that this reward structure is better, because only 200 steel of that 1200 is locked behind ranking out of gold and the rest can be achieved by winning 15 battles over the two weeks of each sprint, which should be fairly easy.

Oh, I didn't see that part with multiple thresholds. My bad. 

But those 30 stars though. I can't imagine the pain one would have to go through to rank out of gold. The star system was the one thing I absolutely hated in the old ranked system, and it seems to be the part WG likes the most. Still no way to weed out the suiciders and afks.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,714 posts
21,794 battles

Silver league it is then. WG listened to basically nothing we said about the previous season.

• Cool 1

[DWBG]
[DWBG]
Members
152 posts
40 minutes ago, Gaelic_knight said:

hate this ranking system its terrable   thats why i wont play it ... bring back the old system . apart from clan battles i always enjoyed playing rank but  this reset every week   is so bad   . they dont even let us continue to collect  rank stars towards the emblems .  if your going to reset every week ( which caught out a lot of players  the last time ) then we should still  get to collect  rank stars towards emblems as well 

It's a reset every two weeks.  Read the article...

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

Silver league it is then. WG listened to basically nothing we said about the previous season.

Which makes me worry even more about rebalance of the skill rebork. Spreadsheet might show them that they have to double down on Deadeye and secondaries are too accurate. Oh, and HE needs a buff.

• Meh 1

[MX]
Members
39 posts
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

Yup.  Gold felt soooo toxic and felt like ship selection was very limited. Certain ships just dominated where others I really struggled.

I for one (maybe minority) also enjoyed that I could have flexibility silver league with ship selection. 

[-VT-]
Members
802 posts
35,803 battles

17 battles  (wins) to get out of Bronze

23 battles (wins) to get out of Silver

29 battles (wins) to finish Gold and rank out.

69 wins are needed, at minimum.

The old version of Ranked required 20 wins to get from rank 10 to rank 5 and then another 20 wins to get from rank 5 to rank one.  40 wins.

So this new version of Ranked takes 29 more wins to complete.

Ow.

And what of the final gold star?  If I rank out in a sprint that is NOT the final sprint do I get to keep the star?  Or, will this be like the last season and I just wait for the final sprint in order to go for that star?  @Hapa_Fodder do we keep the star if we rank out BEFORE the final sprint?  Or is it truly only the final sprint that matters?  And, no, getting the star and then having it removed when the next sprint starts is no good. 

No offense, but that star is the only reward worth fighting for now.  Gold, signals, steel, tokens do not sway me.  

• Cool 1

[WG]
4,571 posts
15,077 battles
3 minutes ago, Sabene said:

17 battles  (wins) to get out of Bronze

23 battles (wins) to get out of Silver

29 battles (wins) to finish Gold and rank out.

69 wins are needed, at minimum.

The old version of Ranked required 20 wins to get from rank 10 to rank 5 and then another 20 wins to get from rank 5 to rank one.  40 wins.

So this new version of Ranked takes 29 more wins to complete.

Ow.

And what of the final gold star?  If I rank out in a sprint that is NOT the final sprint do I get to keep the star?  Or, will this be like the last season and I just wait for the final sprint in order to go for that star?  @Hapa_Fodder do we keep the star if we rank out BEFORE the final sprint?  Or is it truly only the final sprint that matters?  And, no, getting the star and then having it removed when the next sprint starts is no good. 

No offense, but that star is the only reward worth fighting for now.  Gold, signals, steel, tokens do not sway me.  

When the sprint restarts, you stay Gold league so you can get the Gold rewards again when the next sprint starts. That is the point of the restart.

So essentially you go Bronze, to Silver, to Gold, Rank out in Gold, get all the rewards for the entire sprint. The new sprint starts and you stay in Gold, but you can play through Gold again, to get the rewards again.

Not sure if that makes sense or not, hopefully it does.

-Hapa

[-VT-]
Members
802 posts
35,803 battles
1 minute ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

When the sprint restarts, you stay Gold league so you can get the Gold rewards again when the next sprint starts. That is the point of the restart.

So essentially you go Bronze, to Silver, to Gold, Rank out in Gold, get all the rewards for the entire sprint. The new sprint starts and you stay in Gold, but you can play through Gold again, to get the rewards again.

Not sure if that makes sense or not, hopefully it does.

-Hapa

I understand this.  This was clear already.

But the star, Hapa.  The gold star.  The star that shows in the after battle reports for EVERY game.  That star.  

IF I rank out in an early sprint...then DO I get to keep that gold star AFTER the next sprint begins? 

If I do not, if the star 'resets' as the gold league resets and I no longer have the star in my after battle reports...then there is little reason for me to do anything but wait for the final sprint to rank out.

That star is the whole purpose of Ranked  for me.  It shows the community the accomplishment.  Call me vain, if you will, but that star is public, visible and arguably garners respect.

I have played every season of Ranked.  Every single one.  I value that star.  

[WG]
4,571 posts
15,077 battles
8 minutes ago, Sabene said:

I understand this.  This was clear already.

But the star, Hapa.  The gold star.  The star that shows in the after battle reports for EVERY game.  That star.  

IF I rank out in an early sprint...then DO I get to keep that gold star AFTER the next sprint begins? 

If I do not, if the star 'resets' as the gold league resets and I no longer have the star in my after battle reports...then there is little reason for me to do anything but wait for the final sprint to rank out.

That star is the whole purpose of Ranked  for me.  It shows the community the accomplishment.  Call me vain, if you will, but that star is public, visible and arguably garners respect.

I have played every season of Ranked.  Every single one.  I value that star.  

Well TBH, I haven't ever paid attention to this, as far as I know, the "Gold Star" will stay next to your name (like it shows in battle) because you are still in the "Gold League" if that is what you mean.

-Hapa