Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
COMPAC2

10.0 Offers a Solution to 8.0's Biggest Flaw

2 comments in this topic

[IRERO]
Members
4 posts
3,785 battles

To begin, a brief summary of the current discourse regarding CV and AA balance:

Surface Ship Player: CVs are OP. No matter how many planes we shoot down, they get a drop off. Our AA does nothing.

CV Player: Are you kidding me? If I get uptiered at all, I get shredded. I'm launching half-strength squadrons two minutes in.

Now, a brief history lesson:

AA guns were not placed on ships to shoot down enemy aircraft. Fleet aircraft were the primary weapon against enemy aircraft. They were emplaced to protect the ship. If every aircraft of an enemy squadron survived, but they were unable to drop effectively due to the intensity of the AA fire, the primary mission of the gunners was a success (although the secondary mission, to attrite enemy men and materiel, would be a failure). Similar to covering fire during an infantry movement, ship AA was dependent upon the self-preservation instincts of the enemy pilot to be fully functional. This is (partially) why the kamikazes of WWII and the Exocets of the Falklands were such effective weapons: neither a missile nor a man bent on self-immolation has much of a penchant for survival and as such, the AA battery must destroy the incoming threat, as it cannot be deterred.

But what does this have to do with my arcade game?

Prior to update 8.0, the DFAA consumable affected incoming aircraft in the same way that intense AA fire would have historically. It dispersed the incoming attack, reducing the probability of a successful attack. 8.0 took the CV player off of the bridge and into the cockpit, and DFAA was likewise changed to a simple DPM boost. The surface Ship now had no option but to shoot down the entire incoming squadron, which now functioned like guided missiles, rather than planes. After all, it would make no sense if shots the player fired directly suddenly scattered just because their intended victim activated a consumable, would it?

Enter Dazzle

Under update 10.0, a mechanic has been introduced which temporary increases the dispersion of incoming fire when activated. DFAA can, and should, function the same way. Whether this is is accomplished by increasing the size of the aiming reticle, by increasing the dispersion of the ordinance dropped, or by shaking and buffeting the squadron (such that a CV player could learn to pilot through it, thus adding an element of skill to CV play), I will leave to the developers. 

This provides warship players with a more effective counterplay, without drastically increasing the numbers of aircraft lost during strikes, all while retrieving some of this historical accuracy the game has lost over the years. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts

The entire means of attack by CVs in this game are hysterical. No commander would tell his pilots to fly the way these planes fly. How about a bit more realism for the attacks? You also must realize a carrier would most likely throw more than one type of aircraft into an attack simultaneously. 

To make it a more accurate arcade version how about allowing the CV to launch two attacks simultaneously against a single target - or even multiple targets, you know, bring back some of that RTS? 

So I could send in rockets or fighters to strafe you little boat first, taking down some of the little firesticks that toss game-controlled HE/AP at mah planes, you know? 

Since AA is all - essentially - bot & rng controlled, why can't attacks by CV function the same way IF we attack with two flights at once? 

This would split the difference between the old RTS and the current "manual" means of attacking surface ships.

Personally, since carrier refit costs are the largest in the game, I'd like the standard damage values for torpedoes at least 70% of their DD/cruiser/BB equivalents. 

Then I'd be open to your suggestions.

By the way, CV players can already learn to pilot through AA, have you not yet played CVs? 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this