You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Geode_2016

Has Coal been removed from Try Your Luck Container?

18 comments in this topic

[S_C]
Members
45 posts
23,028 battles

I have always been a TYL kind of guy because it was a descent source of coal and occasionally I would pop a Super Container. Recently though, it seems to me that the coal reward was removed or reduced? I was generally averaging coal every 4th container I would guess. 

I went for about a week with no coal and decided to switch to More Resources. 

Has there been any announcement or does anyone know more about the coal issue in TYL?

[ARGSY]
Members
26,200 posts
20,492 battles

TYL is the worst possible choice if you are after coal. You're far better off farming More Resources containers.

• Cool 1

[CLUMP]
Members
2,302 posts
2,489 battles

More sources containers are better :fish_cute_2: 

• Cool 1

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,608 posts

I don't know but if I wanted coal, I would never click the try your luck option.  Actually I don't think I have ever clicked that option.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,386 posts
22,908 battles

Agreed, the resources container if you're after coal.

[GLF]
Members
1,205 posts
19,446 battles

To answer the actual question:   I still get coal in TYL containers on the regular.    I am not farming coal for anything right now though.  I have 270k coal iirc and nothing at all i want to buy.    Waiting to see what Black will be put up for, but not convinced i'll pay as much as they're gonna ask for it.  

I do pull a SC every other week though in TYL.  Its always stupid camo's but at least exciting to see a big box... they're not so super tho

Edited by AnimaL21

[CO-OP]
Members
4,236 posts
33,011 battles
14 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

To answer the actual question:   I still get coal in TYL containers on the regular.    I am not farming coal for anything right now though.  I have 270k coal iirc and nothing at all i want to buy.    Waiting to see what Black will be put up for, but not convinced i'll pay as much as they're gonna ask for it.  

I do pull a SC every other week though in TYL.  Its always stupid camo's but at least exciting to see a big box... they're not so super tho

Can confirm that you can get 900 coal from TYL containers (at least as of last week.)

[GOB]
Members
3,183 posts

I only get TYL Crates on the PT server.. never gotten a SC either... not much coal now that I come to think about it.  That's the main reason I only get resource containers for my dailies.

BTW @Lert  Thanks for the new cat man....  The other really ruined my Coffee every morning!

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,803 posts
4,790 battles
1 hour ago, Geode_2016 said:

I was generally averaging coal every 4th container I would guess. 

That's just RNGeebus luring you into a fool's agreement.  TYL does drop Coal, but nowhere near that frequency over the long term. 

Analysis of TYL and the resulting extra SCs demonstrate that you gain far more choosing the other container types, especially Resources.  Resources drops an average of 520 Coal per crate.  Even by getting 1 Coal in 4 TYLs, you're still getting less than in 4 Resources crates.  The other stuff is just candy, and you still have a chance of dropping an SC.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,772 posts
12,757 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Resources.  Resources drops an average of 520 Coal per crate.

Nice to see this statistic and I can confirm that based on hundreds of personal containers I was averaging right at 500 coal units per drop....

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,644 posts
27,416 battles

I only pick Resources crates too. The TYL crates are not worth it IMHO. You may hit it big, but then again you may not. I have gotten several Super Containers from Resources pulls but like most, just camos. I think over time you get more useful stuff from Resources than any other crate type. Coal, FXP, and signals are all things I like having. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,341 posts
8,669 battles
7 hours ago, Geode_2016 said:

I have always been a TYL kind of guy because it was a descent source of coal and occasionally I would pop a Super Container. Recently though, it seems to me that the coal reward was removed or reduced? I was generally averaging coal every 4th container I would guess. 

I went for about a week with no coal and decided to switch to More Resources. 

Has there been any announcement or does anyone know more about the coal issue in TYL?

Its hasn't... entered a code given out here on forums Weds...    Got a resource container and a try your luck container from it.     Resource container had 1200 coal in it.. Like to have fallen out of my chair!  ...  Opened the TYL container and did!  -  900 coal.   I'm going to be honest.. I don't ever grab those.. only if they are given away.  I was not aware they even gave coal out?  

[AKITA]
Members
398 posts

I alternate between TYL containers one day and resource containers the next. Yes you can get coal from TYL very easily. I average a super container once every 2 weeks using this method. It's nice because they can give you a bunch of nice flags if your lucky.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,409 posts
10,728 battles
2 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

I have only taken resource crates for years because how much RNG plays into the TYL. 

Same.

Basically though, I did it because coal is the most surefire way to get "special" ships.

Plus, resource containers tend to favor econ signals.

[S_C]
Members
45 posts
23,028 battles

TYL was a good balance for me between Super Containers and Coal. Now I think the coal has been removed and its no longer that good balance. I did not really need any more coal than I was getting from TYL. I get 3 containers a day usually, so coal was a by-product of Super Container hunting and the amount was sufficient to buy most of the ships I wanted. That being said, coal is nice to gather over time. I have several ships from coal and need at least some coal regularly. 

I still have not heard anyone say they are seeing the same rate of coal from TYL. I will be switching to More Resources as TYL is truly just Super Bad now.

Thx all for the conversation. 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,803 posts
4,790 battles
53 minutes ago, Geode_2016 said:

Now I think the coal has been removed

No, it hasn't been removed.  You're just experiencing the exigencies of RNGeebus.  He's manic-depressive, and currently in a "down" cycle for you.

1099123111_RNGesusaccented.jpg.1ab8e785c0b6d7f119fe0b23cedcb6ed.jpg

[-REK-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
767 posts

Just this week I just got 900 coal in a  try your luck that was not a super, last time I got coal from a TYL Super it was 10,000 coal, a while ago though.