You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

Why mixed tiers in Ranked?

6 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
7,046 posts
5,529 battles

Dev Blog update says:

Bronze: T-8;T-9 

Silver: T-9; T-10 

Serious question, why?

Last season (test) there was the somewhat clear concept of having each league in a tier, with the odd tier 9 stacked with T10 because we can't have a CV free environment, players would be too happy and clutter the league.

What data indicated that Bronze would be a better place with Musashis, Georgias and JBs in there? Pommern, Alaska and all the fancy premiums at T9 matched against let's say an Albemarle. 

Homogeneous T8 league was fun, maybe too much fun am I to understand? Of all the changes suggested, from all the feedback given, you come with this... Why?, Who asked for this?, How is it an improvement? Please someone explain it to me, I just don't understand.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,739 posts
21,830 battles

It doesn't seem like a big problem in the moderately-competitive Bronze and Silver brackets. If you want to tryhard in those, you'll pick the higher tier. If you're there for the grind, you might pick the lower tier. I actually noticed very little difference in effectiveness by tier in the 8-9 zone last season. Some strong 8s are better than the weaker 9s anyway.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,580 posts
11,084 battles

99% of the time MM balances the teams appropriately by type and tier, so whether you bring a tier 8 or 9, for example, shouldn’t really be a detriment to your team. What this change does is give players more flexibility in what they can bring, allowing them to bring a favorite ship or one they are grinding, which is only a good thing.

[SALVO]
Members
7,046 posts
5,529 battles
6 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

It doesn't seem like a big problem in the moderately-competitive Bronze and Silver brackets. If you want to tryhard in those, you'll pick the higher tier. If you're there for the grind, you might pick the lower tier. I actually noticed very little difference in effectiveness by tier in the 8-9 zone last season. Some strong 8s are better than the weaker 9s anyway.

I'm not really familiar with the T9-T10 dynamic, but looks like T9 are generally able to uptier better to T10 than  T8s to T9. The thing I see with this season is it is going to be an infestation of premium T9 BBs (Musashi, Georgia, JB) in the league, which would turn playing T8 cruisers (and up to some degree T8 BBs) a somewhat unpleasant experience. Add in T9 ships guaranteeing facing only T8 carriers and it is set up to be a paradise for playing T9s. They want to throw a bone to T9, cool but in the process T8 gets chunked. I will keep playing T8s but I foresee being continually queued in a heavy loaded T9 pool. If it were restricted to TT ships, yeah I see no problem but with small teams/maps having to face Musashi/Georgia/JB/Alaska at end of match situations in a T8 TT ship looks very very unpromising.

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

I agree ... I very much enjoyed playing my TIer 8s in Bronze.  I guess we were having too much fun ...