You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Icthar

Georgia worth sacrifice of Steel?

54 comments in this topic

[IHW]
Members
24 posts
6,145 battles

I know the Georgia is leaving, and there is no way I will get enough coal in time... I'm about 60% there.

I have just barely gotten enough steel to be able to afford a steel ship sometime soon.  I accumulate steel only the "easy" way and very slowly.

Is it worth it to blow some steel to get the Georgia at the buzzer, or are the steel ships so good that I should hold off?

(I'm doing everything above with a coupon when I do it of course)

[FORM]
Members
2,237 posts
13,275 battles
4 minutes ago, Icthar said:

I know the Georgia is leaving, and there is no way I will get enough coal in time... I'm about 60% there.

FWIW, before 10.0 I'd say go for it, now... not so sure at all. Really depends on what other steel ships you might want, because steel isn't easy to come by. 

• Thanks 1

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles

Before 10.0, I'd say go for it, but now I don't know anymore. Georgia still is a strong ship and with deadeye is bloody dangerous...but high tier gameplay right now is so extremely boring right now that I can't recommend anything above tier 7 at the moment. 

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[46856]
Members
1,933 posts

Wait, Geogia is not as good as it used to be.  There are a lot of premiums that have been backstabbed with this patch. See what shakes out in the future.

Edited by Chain_shot
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,693 posts
27,479 battles

If you’re good at long range shooting, maybe? (See above posts.)

I’m not. That’s basically why I only have five Randoms in Georgia, and I’ve pretty much had it since it came out.

• Thanks 1

[FFG33]
Members
38 posts
6,995 battles

The update made it less special, but it’s still very good. It’s my most played ship, but I don’t plan to use it much going forward because of the changes to gameplay. Plus it will probably be available on Black Friday. 

• Thanks 1

[UNC]
Members
911 posts
6,322 battles

I would say no, especially if you are saving for a potential steel ship purchase.  Steel is so much harder to come by than coal.  Plus Georgia may be offered again at some point in the Armory or Premium Shop, or via Santa Crates if you are willing to take the chance on those. 

Honestly, I have Georgia and I've never thought she was really that great; and now that secondary builds have taken a beating she has lost one of her main selling points.  With only 6 rifles, even with the improved dispersion every miss is painful and I've always thought her dispersion was kind of wonky.  That said, she can be a lot of fun; she has amazing speed for a BB and her guns hit very hard when they connect.  If you enjoy the style of play that Georgia represents she is a sound investment.  I'm just not sure she is worth it given the skill rework and your specific situation.  Just my $.02.

• Thanks 1

[VORTX]
Members
592 posts
7,767 battles

Tough. I’d say go for it with the steel if you don’t plan on grabbing a steel ship anytime soon. You say you might want to grab one soon though ... personally I love my Georgia. Yes it’s a little less than it used to be, but it also handles the changes well. It’s got great  fast reloading 18” guns that are quite accurate even before dead eye. It’s one of the few battleships that’s able to transition from long range to brawls without much consequence. 

• Thanks 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,280 posts
12,247 battles
5 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

If you’re good at long range shooting, maybe? (See above posts.)

I’m not. That’s basically why I only have five Randoms in Georgia, and I’ve pretty much had it since it came out.

This ^^^ for me as well .

• Thanks 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,464 posts
19,190 battles
33 minutes ago, Icthar said:

I have just barely gotten enough steel to be able to afford a steel ship sometime soon.  I accumulate steel only the "easy" way and very slowly.

Is it worth it to blow some steel to get the Georgia at the buzzer, or are the steel ships so good that I should hold off?

What I hear from this is that you can get a ship now with this resource or wait a long time to get one that may or may not be be worth it in the distant future.  If it were me, I'd pull the trigger now and enjoy it.  But, I tend to not have much regret even if something shinier comes along.  If you think you will likely regret it if you miss out on the next new thing, wait.

• Thanks 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,693 posts
27,479 battles
8 minutes ago, ThisIsClassic said:

What I hear from this is that you can get a ship now with this resource or wait a long time to get one that may or may not be be worth it in the distant future.  If it were me, I'd pull the trigger now and enjoy it.  But, I tend to not have much regret even if something shinier comes along.  If you think you will likely regret it if you miss out on the next new thing, wait.

Good point here.

Any ‘new’ steel ship will likely be around for a bit, unless it’s so OP it gets withdrawn. Georgia will be gone, and future availability is questionable.

• Thanks 1

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,295 posts
8,554 battles

If you don't already have Thunderer, the Georgia is definitely worth getting before it leaves, even if you have to spend steel on it.  It's blatantly over powered and one of the best BBs in the game.

33 minutes ago, Chain_shot said:

Wait, Geogia is not as good as it used to be.  There are a lot of premiums that have been backstabbed with this patch. See what shakes out in the future.

The Georgia got buffed with the patch. 

• Cool 1

[IHW]
Members
24 posts
6,145 battles

Thanks for all the feedback so far...

With regards to the steel ships, it isn't that I'm really set on getting one of those, but I'd always gone with the notion that they are more "special" to get just because they use a resource that is harder to acquire.  A few of them do sound good.  I suppose comparing those few available steel ships to the Georgia is kind of what I'm weighing here.  It is true that there may be other steel ships in the future... but who knows if they will be notable.

[KSC]
5,295 posts
8,554 battles
2 minutes ago, Icthar said:

Thanks for all the feedback so far...

With regards to the steel ships, it isn't that I'm really set on getting one of those, but I'd always gone with the notion that they are more "special" to get just because they use a resource that is harder to acquire.  A few of them do sound good.  I suppose comparing those few available steel ships to the Georgia is kind of what I'm weighing here.  It is true that there may be other steel ships in the future... but who knows if they will be notable.

You never want to spend steel if you don't have to, but right now I can't say there are any steel surface ships that are stronger than the Georgia or Thunderer, and given that they're being permanently removed soon, I think it's worth it if you have to.

• Thanks 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,852 posts
4,300 battles
31 minutes ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Plus Georgia may be offered again at some point in the Armory or Premium Shop, or via Santa Crates if you are willing to take the chance on those. 

I doubt we're seeing her again in the armory or premium shop, the ship is definitely in the OP category and so far the only way those have returned is in Christmas crates. I would not count on GA returning for a reasonable price.

Usually I say no for using Steel for Coal ships, but this is an exception. I think the only reason not to spend the Steel is if you want Somers just as much. Other than that this is your last chance to get GA. Unless you want to fork over a pile of cash (which I'm sure WG wouldn't mind) for the premium bundle Steel is your best option.

GA did get affected by the rework. The meta at the moment isn't friendly to her, but that's temporary. Give it a month and things will be back to normal, and that's if WG doesn't do any changes. The other issue is the secondaries. They got nerfed, no two ways about it. But not that much. GA had uber accurate secondaries, now they're on level with pre-rework German accuracy. Against larger ships this is actually a plus, before they were so accurate they just all hit the belt and shattered. Now they're spread around a bit. DDs you notice, you definitely get less hits on DDs. But they're still effective, just not quite as much.

However, GA is still a great ship. Even if the secondaries were nerfed into uselessness she'd still be a great ship. GA has ludicrous speed, fast heals, and accurate hard hitting fast reloading guns, that alone makes her a good ship. Slap a survival captain and build on and GA still terrorizes flanks and clobbers cruisers. The secondaries just take it up a step, making it even more fun and powerful. The captain rework hasn't touched the core aspects that make her great, and only slightly changed the secondaries, which are the icing on top. GA is my favorite ship, and once the meta settles down I don't see any reason why she won't continue to be (at least until I get the Yolo Emilio).

IMO GA would be worth it if she was steel, and the captain rework doesn't change that.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,672 posts
25,163 battles
1 hour ago, Icthar said:

It really depends on whether or not there is a steel ship you would prefer over Georgia. For me, there is nothing in the steel shop I am interested in so I am pondering using my steel to buy Lutjens and Cunningham. The only reason I haven't done that yet is I am waiting to see if they are adding anything lower tier to Armory that can be bought with steel. So sick and tired of tier 9 and 10 ships that I only play once or twice a year for snowflakes just clogging up my port. Personally I want ships that are tiers 5-8, the upper tiers are pointless and boring and the lowest tiers are fun to play, but useless for working on missions. Ultimately the choice is yours. Steel is hard to get in the game unless you are doing clan battles or the like. 

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,893 battles
15 minutes ago, yashma said:

If you don't already have Thunderer, the Georgia is definitely worth getting before it leaves, even if you have to spend steel on it.  It's blatantly over powered and one of the best BBs in the game.

I sacrificed 3.5K steel for Thunderer. WORTH IT

[KSC]
5,295 posts
8,554 battles
1 minute ago, AJTP89 said:

The meta at the moment isn't friendly to her, but that's temporary.

The Georgia was never reliant on brawling to be good.  The reason the ship is OP is because of the insane mobility, quick cool down heal, quick reload and fantastic dispersion.  The rework only made the Georgia's guns even better (which is why it was so good to begin with), and if anything actually made it easier for the Georgia to run hybrid secondary builds without having to sacrifice survivability or main gun power given the USN BBs have improved secondary dispersion and can get away without taking manual secondaries. 

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,615 posts
1 hour ago, Icthar said:

No. Hold on to your steel.

I bought mine straight cash. Had nothing else to spend it on other than the gold coin 25% off coupon which made her roughly 50 dollars value.

Ohio is next. The steel keeps on piling, been doing this going on 6 months and am almost sick of it already.

Its worth it, with that 3 minute speed boost almost 40 knots you can show up where you are least expected to crash the party anywhere on the map. And outrun the annoying fantail sniffing frenchies. Little ankle biters. Arf!

Edited by xHeavy

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,852 posts
4,300 battles
12 minutes ago, yashma said:

The Georgia was never reliant on brawling to be good.  The reason the ship is OP is because of the insane mobility, quick cool down heal, quick reload and fantastic dispersion.  The rework only made the Georgia's guns even better (which is why it was so good to begin with), and if anything actually made it easier for the Georgia to run hybrid secondary builds without having to sacrifice survivability or main gun power given the USN BBs have improved secondary dispersion and can get away without taking manual secondaries. 

Yes, you don't need to brawl to use GA well. But GA isn't a sniping ship either, (6 guns makes that unreliable). She's best at using mobility to exploit a flank or hole. The best thing is she isn't reliant on the team to make that hole, she has the firepower to do it herself and the mobility to exploit it. The issue with the current meta is with everyone so far back it's very hard to make any push without getting chipped down before you're able to get on a flank or other good position. Instead of pushing through a couple enemy ships or up a weak flank you're now just pushing head on into the camping BBs and cruisers. Mobility is great, but if the reds are so far back it's impossible to flank them it's rather pointless. That's more the issue right now than not brawling, which you are correct, GA doesn't need to do. And while she has great accuracy, 6 guns is going to be unreliable. But I think the extreme camping meta will shift back in a bit, and GA will be back to one of the best ships.

And if T9 3v3 or 1v1 Ranked ever comes back, yeah you're going to want a Georgia.

[PVE]
Members
7,921 posts
23,939 battles
1 hour ago, Icthar said:

Before making ANY purchases I'd wait until Dasha's update video for 0.10.1 comes out on Tuesday to see if any changes that might affect your choices occur...

Whether it be skill changes or individual/general ship changes.

All options of free respeccing & a commander for it & running it's snowflake will still be available on Tuesday so no worries there.

[WPORT]
Members
8,233 posts
13,273 battles
2 hours ago, Icthar said:

I got the Georgia by paying $$.
I got the Thunderer by paying coal + steel + coupon.
Both ships worth it, in my opinion.  I just didn't have enough coal for both.
One way to get coal is to buy loot crates.
But, that's not necessarily efficient, eh?

Edited to add:  Before the skills rebork of 0.10.0, the Georgia was the first high-tier ship that I felt comfortable using with a 3-skill-point Captain.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws