You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
jbc98k

Seal Clubber? Low tier

29 comments in this topic

[P2W]
Beta Testers
63 posts
13,816 battles

I suppose I'm  seal clubbing but a challenge I have is I like the WWI era warships for their history.

I even enjoy the Albany even though it's not a great ship. How about a list of the worst low tier ships so I can still play older ships but make it a bit less seal clubby?

[VOP]
Members
961 posts
4 minutes ago, jbc98k said:

I suppose I'm  seal clubbing but a challenge I have is I like the WWI era warships for their history.

I even enjoy the Albany even though it's not a great ship. How about a list of the worst low tier ships so I can still play older ships but make it a bit less seal clubby?

Just bounce around to different types. If you want a challenge, don't play the classes you play often.

Members
181 posts
5,835 battles

Seal clubbing isn't so much about playing ships in lower tiers, its more of the mentality of specifically playing in lower tiers specifically to be matched against lower experienced players just so you can beat them. With that in mind, as long as you don't pick notorious seal clubbing ships (IE clemson, GC, etc.), then you shouldn't worry to much about it.

• Cool 1

Members
153 posts
7 minutes ago, jbc98k said:

Ever since the protected matchmaking for <T4 came in, there is really  no such thing as "seal clubbing" per se.

Personally, to really enjoy low-tier shooty botes I play Co-op. A Smith or Tachibana in Co-op is the most fun you can buy for 99 cents.

• Cool 4

[REVY]
Members
2,639 posts
14,459 battles
5 minutes ago, xXUglykidXx said:

Aurora 

Oleg 

Those are a couple that stick out in my mind. 

Aurora is pretty decent when set up right

Diana and Varyag however........

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
979 battles
6 minutes ago, JimmyTheRealPirate said:

Seal clubbing isn't so much about playing ships in lower tiers, its more of the mentality of specifically playing in lower tiers specifically to be matched against lower experienced players just so you can beat them. With that in mind, as long as you don't pick notorious seal clubbing ships (IE clemson, GC, etc.), then you shouldn't worry to much about it.

Clemson is seal clubber?

Reminds me I haven't taken min out in a while...

• Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,932 posts
14,885 battles
8 minutes ago, JimmyTheRealPirate said:

This and there is nothing wrong with playing the usual suspects for seal clubbing but just don't play them match after match.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,814 posts
10,972 battles

Charleston.  The first of the super cruisers (disguised as a regular cruiser).

Members
1,186 posts
1,698 battles
  • HIRMS Bogatyr
  • HIRMS Novik
  • HMS Caledon
  • IJN Kawachi
  • RN Nino Bixio
  • SMS Kolberg

Then there are non-low tier ships that were WW1-era:

• stock IJN Fuso
  • USS New York
  • HMS Iron Duke
  • HMS Warspite
  • HMS Queen Elizabeth
  • HMS Hawkins
  • HMS Emerald
  • IJN Kongo as battlecruiser(stock)

Members
1,186 posts
1,698 battles
9 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This and there is nothing wrong with playing the usual suspects for seal clubbing but just don't play them match after match.

But I have a combat mission for USS Clemson :Smile_hiding:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,932 posts
14,885 battles
4 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

But I have a combat mission for USS Clemson :Smile_hiding:

I wish that tier  4 and below had more missions. That is something that WoWP did right with their daily system. they broke it up into three groups, tier 1 - 4, tier 5 - 7, and tier 8 - 10. It gave experienced players a reason to drop down for a few matches which had the side effect of seal clubbing the seal clubbers.

Members
934 posts
1,333 battles

I love protected cruisers and is not so much seal clubbing. Varyag and Aurora are a challenge. Mikasa is the real secondaries beast.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
992 posts
8,023 battles

I think I ran into you before while I was grinding a new line or re-grinding for Research Points. Most likely called you out as well.

Honestly, just say that you like the earlier ships, and block people like me after that.

• Meh 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,692 posts
10,130 battles
1 hour ago, jbc98k said:

Don’t worry about all these labels. If you like playing in low tiers, then play at low tiers. This is just a game, after all, where players should do what’s fun for them. 

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
322 posts
8,381 battles

I too enjoy playing low lower tier ships now and then and once apon a time worried about seal clubbing. What I found looking into it was that seal clubbing was more of an attitude based on 2 things. First, a desire to use ones skill from high tiers against people with significantly less skill (that is, going into a match not looking for a fair / good fight). Also the use of resources that are not available to many new player, such as high (19+) point captains.  And / or second, using low tiers to boost stats. 

For me knowing when I choose to play low tiers that I have no intention of doing either of these, then I can live with myself.  And do what others have said don't worry about labels and enjoy the game. 

[CRF]
Members
976 posts
8,966 battles

Seal clubbing is putting a 19/21 point captain on the Mikasa....or any other tier 2 or 3 ship...

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,186 posts
6,409 battles

Arkansa Beta :D

[SALVO]
Members
7,060 posts
5,529 battles

If you enjoy it, play it... if you feel guilty or find it too easy, slap a 1-point captain on it and run your ship "naked", give them some handicap.

Members
2,069 posts
12,694 battles
34 minutes ago, sonoasailor said:

Seal clubbing is putting a 19/21 point captain on the Mikasa....or any other tier 2 or 3 ship...

Even with a 21pt captain Mikasa is not exactly what I'd call an OP ship.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,585 posts
11,084 battles
30 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

If you enjoy it, play it... if you feel guilty or find it too easy, slap a 1-point captain on it and run your ship "naked", give them some handicap.

Well, now you can run a ship with no commander (for some reason) if you really want to handicap yourself, and the main benefit of running a cheap 1-pt captain on a ship (PT) no longer exists.

Edited by Nevermore135

[WOLF6]
Members
89 posts
8,287 battles

Yeah it makes me laugh a little when I get pinged by RPF at low tiers. That means somebody went past CE and had enough points to pick that skill above other more useful skills at that level. I drop down now and then for the fun of some of the ships. 

[-ICE-]
Members
516 posts

I play in low tiers sometimes but I dont seal club, i hunt the seal clubbers and more often then not let the true newbie player play.  pretty simple to tell who is a real newbie.  They r the ones with no camo hardly any flags, miss alot and in the open ect ect.  Try to help them. the game cant live without new people which seems few and far between these days,  if u keep beating the hell out of them they are sure to not stay very long. 

Edited by CRZY_TRAIN
  • Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
7,060 posts
5,529 battles
5 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Well, now you can run a ship with no commander (for some reason)

must be a snowflake thing, not really much logic behind running without commander

Members
1,186 posts
1,698 battles
1 hour ago, sonoasailor said:

What if you put a 3 point captain on South Carolina & grind him to 11 points?

2021-01-25.thumb.png.63631ee45385149acfefc567ef9021d4.pngYup...I went there!(took 154 battles)

• Cool 2
  • Haha 1