You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

11 million credits, 7 days, F2P... not trivial.

66 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
7,046 posts
5,529 battles

Feedback on the tasks for the Lunar New Year mission

Some numbers for context:

As F2P player, my average income on a T8 (or T6 Operation) match is 150k credits, not using special boosters (camo/flags). 

At 150K credits per match, 11 million credits take between 73-74 matches to farm. Reduced to a week, it means over 10 matches a day and about 2 and half hours of daily play.

Last week's task of grinding 9 million credits took me 8 days, I enjoy the game a lot but I don't have a lot of free time to play the game, I pull around 40 matches a week spaced on 4-5 days. 

Considerations:

In order to fulfill the task, I need to play more hours than I feel comfortable to play and not take any "day off" from the game...

or expend my very small remaining stock of boosters to maximize income...

or buy premium time...

This event comes right after a very intense season/period, packed with a lot of grind and stuff to do. Next patch brings another round of grind with the early release of a new line.

It would have been nice to have a "cool down" period in terms of stuff to grind. I know participation is optional and you can still play the game without the pressure of grinding out the events rewards, but then it requires you to "not care" about the event, which directly acts against the core idea of events which is to promote participation. "Not caring" about the event sets a bad precedent and can very well translate later on in "not caring" about the game as a whole. It is a double edged sword to saturate and burn down players with a horde of timed grinds and events, some will pay and play along, some others will just step back and take some time off, taking time off can lead to discovering other interests...

In conclusion, timed credit farming missions are notoriously more taxing for casual/f2p players. It notoriously contrast with the rest of the missions which are well balanced in the context of the time frame given (even the infamous 55K base XP of the dockyard event was diluted in a 2 weeks period, as F2P I completed it in just one). It feels like an unnecessary straight money grab when this type of events have been usually very F2P friendly.

Dockyards and Early Access have a strong (and understandable) pay-to-progress focus, but until now these small events remained open and comfortably achievable to all type of players. I cherish these open-for-all events that rewards a premium ship and I don't really like needing to "keep an eye on my wallet" here too. Is it too much to ask to not have "money grab attempts" in every corner of the game?

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[WOLFG]
Members
11,810 posts
10,962 battles

Coop, premium time, mostly T9 premiums, and a zulu flag (I have a bunch) every game will take me about the same.

No such thing as down time around here.  I think they just want more and new people on the treadmill.

[KWF]
Members
5,803 posts
7,013 battles

Dunno, whenever I feel the need to make some money (fully standard account), I hop on the tier VIII+ premium I'm most comfortable at, fill it with signals, especially Wyvern and play a few battles. Provided you do well you can get about 500k on a defeat to 1mil+ on a win.

Besides, the credit earning missions always are on total income, that is before repair costs and such. 

Another thing I tend to do is hoard the WG crates. There's 1 day Premium as guaranteed drop. So if I want to play purely for moneymaking for a couple of days, I open 2-3 of them and get to it.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
1,068 posts

The more they up the grind time for events, the less I even bother playing.  Between the Commander nerfs and the ridiculous amount of grind time, my play time has been cut to about a third of what it used to be.  Keep it up WG, I keep finding lots more productive things to do with  my time.  

• Cool 4

[SALVO]
Members
7,046 posts
5,529 battles
2 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Coop, premium time, mostly T9 premiums, and a zulu flag (I have a bunch) every game will take me about the same.

Premium time I don't have (might consider buying a day-pass for the weekend but kinda dislike being "forced to" instead of just because I like to) and I'm down to 20 Zulu. I can pull around 500K in a boosted Prinz Eugen match, but I don't really enjoy spamming just one ship, I usually play for the daily bonuses. Coop F2P T8 without modifiers nets almost nothing, I earn about 50-80K but it goes all to paying bills.

9 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

No such thing as down time around here.  I think they just want more and new people on the treadmill.

That's for sure. 

3 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Dunno, whenever I feel the need to make some money (fully standard account), I hop on the tier VIII+ premium I'm most comfortable at, fill it with signals, especially Wyvern and play a few battles. Provided you do well you can get about 500k on a defeat to 1mil+ on a win.

Besides, the credit earning missions always are on total income, that is before repair costs and such. 

Aye, I can pull about 500K with some boosters but I don't really enjoy spamming matches in the same ship over and over. The other issue is I'm really low on boosters, I've been burning them consistently because "There's always a reason" to use them (last one was acquire as many ships as possible to earn snowflakes).  I probably have enough to pull this one but then they are gone for good and now there's no refill of signal at Ranked. 

[WOLFO]
[WOLFO]
Members
597 posts
5,863 battles
25 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Another thing I tend to do is hoard the WG crates. There's 1 day Premium as guaranteed drop. So if I want to play purely for moneymaking for a couple of days, I open 2-3 of them and get to it.

ty for the insight.

generally that's how I approach it, hold on to a few things that grant premium time. I recently tried out the Prem WG account, with a few days banked. And it did the thing where it converted those days into DB's, and any days I earned in the interim it appended to the WG premium time. But, it was distinct from the WoW Prem time, it indicated with a banner that the WG prem account was done. So, I guess the bonus %'s changed mildly or whatev. But, the WG prem acc was worth it during the holiday grinds... It helped with several tasks. I wanted to see what WoWp was all about as well. It's okay, but I did uninstall it. It was HUGE, like 50G took a whole day to DL it. And I played it like 3-4 times... ;p

I think it cost me like 14 bucks for a month.

And like the OP, I am a bit daunted by the amount, but I do feel I have time. Granted it will require significant hours to complete, which is to be expected I suppose. As well for me the ship earned will just sit and gather dust. I just do it for the sense of accomplishment. Not really about the ship for me, I guess?

Just doing dailies has kept me within striking range of the goal, I'm hoping I don't need to farm Randoms for CR's near the end...

Edited by iamSamoth

[WOLFG]
Members
11,810 posts
10,962 battles
9 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Premium time I don't have (might consider buying a day-pass for the weekend but kinda dislike being "forced to" instead of just because I like to) and I'm down to 20 Zulu. I can pull around 500K in a boosted Prinz Eugen match, but I don't really enjoy spamming just one ship, I usually play for the daily bonuses. Coop F2P T8 without modifiers nets almost nothing, I earn about 50-80K but it goes all to paying bills.

That's for sure. 

Aye, I can pull about 500K with some boosters but I don't really enjoy spamming matches in the same ship over and over. The other issue is I'm really low on boosters, I've been burning them consistently because "There's always a reason" to use them (last one was acquire as many ships as possible to earn snowflakes).  I probably have enough to pull this one but then they are gone for good and now there's no refill of signal at Ranked. 

T9 coal premiums are probably the best purchase out there.  They've removed (or are about to remove) a bunch of them though.

I save up all flags till I get to events like this.  Playing coop, I don't normally need them.

[NWO-1]
Members
215 posts
4,597 battles

You have 9 days, and it is 1.4M credits per day. This is in line with the credit requirements on many other missions in the past. Yes it takes work, but it is very doable.

• Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
5,101 posts
22,592 battles
32 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

As F2P player, my average income on a T8 (or T6 Operation) match is 150k credits, not using special boosters (camo/flags). 

At 150K credits per match, 11 million credits take between 73-74 matches to farm. Reduced to a week, it means over 10 matches a day and about 2 and half hours of daily play.

Last week's task of grinding 9 million credits took me 8 days, I enjoy the game a lot but I don't have a lot of free time to play the game, I pull around 40 matches a week spaced on 4-5 days. 

Considerations:

In order to fulfill the task, I need to play more hours than I feel comfortable to play and not take any "day off" from the game...

or buy premium time...

This event comes right after a very intense season/period, packed with a lot of grind and stuff to do. Next patch brings another round of grind with the early release of a new line.

It would have been nice to have a "cool down" period in terms of stuff to grind. I know participation is optional and you can still play the game without the pressure of grinding out the events rewards, but then it requires you to "not care" about the event, which directly acts against the core idea of events which is to promote participation. "Not caring" about the event sets a bad precedent and can very well translate later on in "not caring" about the game as a whole. It is a double edged sword to saturate and burn down players with a horde of timed grinds and events, some will pay and play along, some others will just step back and take some time off, taking time off can lead to discovering other interests...

In conclusion, timed credit farming missions are notoriously more taxing for casual/f2p players. It notoriously contrast with the rest of the missions which are well balanced in the context of the time frame given (even the infamous 55K base XP of the dockyard event was diluted in a 2 weeks period, as F2P I completed it in just one). It feels like an unnecessary straight money grab when this type of events have been usually very F2P friendly.

Dockyards and Early Access have a strong (and understandable) pay-to-progress focus, but until now these small events remained open and comfortably achievable to all type of players. I cherish these open-for-all events that rewards a premium ship and I don't really like needing to "keep an eye on my wallet" here too. Is it too much to ask to not have "money grab attempts" in every corner of the game?

Yep, you are correct Sir !

And, our host could care less.......... 

in fact, truth be told from my perspective:  "it's all they have left......."  Long gone are "quality, first world efforts" to """EARN""" money.  Now, all that is left is to siphon it out of "everyday costs;".........

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[AAA]
Members
209 posts
20,045 battles

What I read is that you choose not to support the game financially yet want all the prizes.

....News Flash... If you choose not to spend money, you won’t get everything you want. 

i am not trying to berate or belittle anyone for not spending money on the game, it fine if you don’t. Grinds will be much more challenging though and that is the trade off. 

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
969 battles
22 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

The more they up the grind time for events, the less I even bother playing.  Between the Commander nerfs and the ridiculous amount of grind time, my play time has been cut to about a third of what it used to be.  Keep it up WG, I keep finding lots more productive things to do with  my time.  

Which doesn't include whining on the forums?

• Funny 3
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[WOLFG]
Members
11,810 posts
10,962 battles
9 minutes ago, xXUglykidXx said:

If you choose not to spend money, you won’t get everything you want. 

I think this is important to remember.  Spending more and/or playing more to get more is the game model.

They want us to feel the pressure of spending money or power grinding.  It will drive some away, but the people that pay and play more make up for it.

And it shortens the life of the game, but may end up with a better payout to the gaming company.

• Cool 1

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,446 posts
20,660 battles

22 scenario games should do it.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,339 posts
17,511 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Considerations:

or buy premium time...

True.

All events are designed to put at least a little pressure to support the game.

[SALVO]
Members
7,046 posts
5,529 battles
56 minutes ago, MollyGodiva said:

You have 9 days, and it is 1.4M credits per day. This is in line with the credit requirements on many other missions in the past. Yes it takes work, but it is very doable.

I was thinking it was lasting until monday (7 days). If it is 9 days, it is indeed more reasonable.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,546 posts

I pretty much quit it. That particular grind after 3 some million credits. Part of the problem is we are expecting almost a inch of ice which will cause power lines to fail (They are designed for half inch ice loading between poles, above that amount they fall down) this week. So no power is expected.

After careful thought I decided I am not in the DD Business at T6. They don't have a good survival rate anyway. So thats one premium ship that will get away free.

[TSF]
Members
418 posts
14,283 battles

Here's the kicker. If you do grind like a maniac and complete the Lunar New Year Mission, but already own Anshan, you don't get compensated with doubloons.

No, your reward for all that grinding, and for spending real money with WG in the past to buy Anshan, is 5.5 million silver credits. 

WG once again sending a clear message to the most loyal customers. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
969 battles
1 minute ago, Litigo_1970 said:

Here's the kicker. If you do grind like a maniac and complete the Lunar New Year Mission, but already own Anshan, you don't get compensated with doubloons.

No, your reward for all that grinding, and for spending real money with WG in the past to buy Anshan, is 5.5 million silver credits. 

WG once again sending a clear message to the most loyal customers. 

Then DON'T GRIND IT :fish_palm:

• Cool 1

[TSF]
Members
418 posts
14,283 battles
24 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

Not if the scenario is Operation Killer Whale.

I had the same though as you. However, I neglected to take into account that virtually every Killer Whale game would be a loss, despite completing all the tasks, because PUBG players apparently have ZERO clue how to play operations, don't bother to research the operation, and don't listen to other players during the operation. So they end up sailing around shooting at ships, oblivious to the requirement that 50% of the surviving ships have to get the exit before the timer runs out.

Unbelievably frustrating.

[SALVO]
Members
7,046 posts
5,529 battles
40 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Can't that mission be done in Operations?

Aye but Fail Station Newport was the active Op... At least it switches today, I expect to recoup the lost time.

26 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

If u boost something, a "naked" ftp one nets around 200-300k. Still doable, just not trivial in terms of time.

50 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

And it shortens the life of the game, 

Basically the main reason I don't use premium time 

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,546 posts

I actually managed to thrive in the Recent Newport Scenario last week with the blessed Marakov. Went forward and sank two, trashed three. Fell back to repair. By the repair area the far right group came on. Picked at it a little bit followed by other groups in the sequence. right to left of tactical approaches. By the time the main BB target and associated other BB's approached me in the far back near the center battery with a repair ship fixing me I had done 145,000 in damage and acquired several sink related awards in addition to assistant.

Everyone was sunk. The game first called operation failure then called a victory with like two stars when the main allied fleet finally arrive just as I was destroyed. Fortunately the game was over at that point so the sinking did not matter.

One little marakov. Sweet.

Edited by xHeavy

[--K--]
Supertester
1,487 posts
14,249 battles
12 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

I pretty much quit it. That particular grind after 3 some million credits. Part of the problem is we are expecting almost a inch of ice which will cause power lines to fail (They are designed for half inch ice loading between poles, above that amount they fall down) this week. So no power is expected.

After careful thought I decided I am not in the DD Business at T6. They don't have a good survival rate anyway. So thats one premium ship that will get away free.

If you play operations any it's a great boat for those. 

[PVE]
Members
10,926 posts
18,908 battles
6 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Aye but Fail Station Newport was the active Op... At least it switches today, I expect to recoup the lost time.

Exactly what I did, wait until Defeat at Stupidport Station week is done. I played a couple of Narai's with a full team but WGs system for making a full team is lame, so I generally don't bother.

Edited by Sovereigndawg