Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Yesman1337

USS Intrepid Request

14 comments in this topic

[EQV]
Members
144 posts
1,408 battles

I grew up going to this ship as a museum and it is what kindled my love for history (Specifically of WW2) and all things Naval/Aviation. It is a ship that boasts an impressive combat record as well as various peace time operations. Nicknamed the "Fighting I" for all it's endeavors I feel it could be a great addition to the game for historical value. I believe we also have yet to get an Essex Class CV in the game. To keep it unique from other CV's the loadout could be different than most as that's basically the only way to differentiate CV's asides from sheer amount of aircraft. This is helped by the addition of skip bombers to game now. It was historically used by the US in the Pacific to sink Japanese shipping so why not let them have a carrier with it. It's loadout could be a rocket attack squad, a skip bomber squad, and a torpedo bomber squad. 

• Cool 5
  • Boring 2

Members
2,420 posts
52 battles
9 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

I believe we also have yet to get an Essex Class CV in the game.

We used to have one 3 years ago.
Unfortunately it fell victim to the CV genocide rework like many others.

Members
400 posts
26 battles

Regard. Essex. It used to be the US tier 9 carrier before the CV Rework came out in 0.8.0 (January 2019), as was Bogue at tier V and Independence at tier 6 (Ranger was tier 7 back then). As were their IJN counterparts.

Before the CV rework only US and Japan had carriers that were at tiers 4,5,6,7,8.9.10 (with the exception of Premium Graf Zepplin being added). The Royal Navy got them soon after the rework and German got their carriers last year.

This very old news article mentioned the following on the CVs that were removed.

WG had said they intended the removed be added later as "support" carriers with Essex at tier 10.  Independence - tier 6,  Yorktown- Added to tier 8 (with Bogue staying removed) , this was from an even earlier News article from November 2018.

Spoiler

What will happen to the carriers from uneven tiers?

The main reason behind the temporary removal of uneven tiers is that they are too similar to their adjacent tiers and offer little difference in terms of gameplay.

Once the gameplay update is in effect and after some time has passed, we plan to release alternative branches of aircraft carriers. This will mean bringing back all, or almost all of the carriers removed due to the ship type being reworked.

We also intend to make different gameplay for the alternative branches focusing on other ways to impact a battle, considering unique approaches to victory and interaction with both allies and enemies. The word "different" can imply an array of diverse options. Alternative ships could concentrate more on helping their allies rather than dealing damage, for example, they might provide better spotting. It's possible that some aircraft types from alternative branches will be able to set small smoke screens, thus enabling them to save an allied cruiser from heavy shelling. Maybe they will even have the ability to help an allied battleship fight any fires that might be on board. Or perhaps even, some aircraft will gain the ability to land on water and capture control points, although they will be very easy to destroy. The options are numerous and we have listed only a small portion of them, but please do understand that these are auxiliary possibilities, that would be designed to accompany inflicting damage, as opposed to replacing it.

It’s very likely that alternative aircraft carriers will be more difficult to play on than ships with strike squadrons. But in several months they could certainly become an excellent choice for those who have mastered the reworked gameplay by then and want to try new options.

Tier V Japanese Carrier Zuiho - Planned for alternative carrier line at tier VI

Tier VIII Japanese Carrier Hiryu - Planned for alternative carrier line at tier VIII

Tier IX Japanese Carrier Taiho - Planned for alternative carrier line at tier X

Tier V American Carrier Bogue - No future plans?

Tier VI American Carrier Independence - Planned for alternative carrier line at tier VI

Tier VIII American Carrier Yorktown- Added to alternative carrier line at tier VIII

Tier IX American Carrier Essex - Planned for alternative carrier line at tier X

To my knowledge nothing has been heard about this plan for the almost exactly 2 years since the rework. Given they chose to bring out the German CV line I'm inclined to think the idea has been shelved.

Edited by SoothingWhaleSongEU

[RLGN]
Members
15,672 posts
27,410 battles
29 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

Nicknamed the "Fighting I" for all it's endeavors...

You remember the positive; I remember it’s other rep; where it was constantly in dry dock for (relatively) minor damage, and got the nickname ‘The Dry I.’

Members
153 posts
1 hour ago, Yesman1337 said:

I grew up going to this ship as a museum and it is what kindled my love for history (Specifically of WW2) and all things Naval/Aviation. It is a ship that boasts an impressive combat record as well as various peace time operations. Nicknamed the "Fighting I" for all it's endeavors I feel it could be a great addition to the game for historical value. I believe we also have yet to get an Essex Class CV in the game. To keep it unique from other CV's the loadout could be different than most as that's basically the only way to differentiate CV's asides from sheer amount of aircraft. This is helped by the addition of skip bombers to game now. It was historically used by the US in the Pacific to sink Japanese shipping so why not let them have a carrier with it. It's loadout could be a rocket attack squad, a skip bomber squad, and a torpedo bomber squad.

We had the Essex before the rebork.

Members
1,186 posts
1,698 battles
53 minutes ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

(with Bogue staying removed)

USS Bogue never left, but is no longer accessible to players.

[NUWES]
Members
3,385 posts
12,292 battles
1 hour ago, Yesman1337 said:

Like the others said, Essex used to be in the game as the T9 CV, but it and there other odd tier CVs have since been removed. Players ask Wargaming about them every week on the Twitch stream and they said they plan to bring them all back as soon as they come up with a role for them that is different from the existing CVs. Basically as an alternate CV line. They have been tossing around the idea of "support CVs" that provide team support functions but they haven't really decided what this is yet. Essentially, Essex will be back, probably as an alternate USN T10 to Midway, but they don't know when. The Essex version in the game looks like the short hull version of the Essex class and Yorktown was the same so a premium version wouldn't be hard to do. 

Truthfully, I don't think they should have kept Hak and Midway as the T10s after the rework. Taiho and Essex should have been the ones that remained since they actually served in the war. They also were a bit smaller and thus easier to balance. 

Spoiler

See the source image

Edited by Tzarevitch

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,016 posts
7,795 battles
1 hour ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

WG had said they intended the removed be added later as "support" carriers with Essex at tier 10.  Independence - tier 6,  Yorktown- Added to tier 8 (with Bogue staying removed) , this was from an even earlier News article from November 2018.

Reveal hidden contents

The main reason behind the temporary removal of uneven tiers is that they are too similar to their adjacent tiers and offer little difference in terms of gameplay.

Once the gameplay update is in effect and after some time has passed, we plan to release alternative branches of aircraft carriers. This will mean bringing back all, or almost all of the carriers removed due to the ship type being reworked.

We also intend to make different gameplay for the alternative branches focusing on other ways to impact a battle, considering unique approaches to victory and interaction with both allies and enemies. The word "different" can imply an array of diverse options. Alternative ships could concentrate more on helping their allies rather than dealing damage, for example, they might provide better spotting. It's possible that some aircraft types from alternative branches will be able to set small smoke screens, thus enabling them to save an allied cruiser from heavy shelling. Maybe they will even have the ability to help an allied battleship fight any fires that might be on board. Or perhaps even, some aircraft will gain the ability to land on water and capture control points, although they will be very easy to destroy. The options are numerous and we have listed only a small portion of them, but please do understand that these are auxiliary possibilities, that would be designed to accompany inflicting damage, as opposed to replacing it.

It’s very likely that alternative aircraft carriers will be more difficult to play on than ships with strike squadrons. But in several months they could certainly become an excellent choice for those who have mastered the reworked gameplay by then and want to try new options.

Tier VIII Japanese Carrier Hiryu - Planned for alternative carrier line at tier VIII

Tier VI American Carrier Independence - Planned for alternative carrier line at tier VI

Tier VIII American Carrier Yorktown- Added to alternative carrier line at tier VIII

To my knowledge nothing has been heard about this plan for the almost exactly 2 years since the rework. Given they chose to bring out the German CV line I'm inclined to think the idea has been shelved.

My own suspicion is that when Submarines were put on the development fast track, the Support Carrier idea rotated into Antisubmarine Carriers.

If so, I suspect WG will release Submarines along with one or two Premium subs, then wait about 6 months to get what income can be generated off of them before introducing the missing Carriers as a counter to them (which will also pull the steam out of the initial surge in sub use).

That is just my theory.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
7,897 posts
23,881 battles
2 hours ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

Reveal hidden contents

Or they're waiting to get all the other CV lines they can released 1st (oh yeah...predicting RU CVs in the future) so they can release all of the "alternate" CV lines at once...

1 hour ago, Jakob_Knight said:

My own suspicion is that when Submarines were put on the development fast track, the Support Carrier idea rotated into Antisubmarine Carriers.

If so, I suspect WG will release Submarines along with one or two Premium subs, then wait about 6 months to get what income can be generated off of them before introducing the missing Carriers as a counter to them (which will also pull the steam out of the initial surge in sub use).

That is just my theory.

My theory too.

Edit: My theory also includes the CV rework being a direct result of the submarines being put on the fast track...

Let's face it...subs would be (actually we're) unrealistic in game w/multiple CV squadrons in the air at once to spot them anytime they surfaced...but w/only 1 squadron & a fighter consumable per CV max in the air at once...subs become viable (3 CVs per match would make them unviable again...thus the subs starting at T6 instead of T4 where 3 CVs can occur...even if only during heavy activity times).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[WPORT]
Members
8,141 posts
13,187 battles

Bring back the odd-tiered CV's!  :-)

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,886 posts
25,782 battles
On 2/10/2021 at 11:21 AM, Tzarevitch said:

Like the others said, Essex used to be in the game as the T9 CV, but it and there other odd tier CVs have since been removed. Players ask Wargaming about them every week on the Twitch stream and they said they plan to bring them all back as soon as they come up with a role for them that is different from the existing CVs. Basically as an alternate CV line. They have been tossing around the idea of "support CVs" that provide team support functions but they haven't really decided what this is yet. Essentially, Essex will be back, probably as an alternate USN T10 to Midway, but they don't know when. The Essex version in the game looks like the short hull version of the Essex class and Yorktown was the same so a premium version wouldn't be hard to do. 

Truthfully, I don't think they should have kept Hak and Midway as the T10s after the rework. Taiho and Essex should have been the ones that remained since they actually served in the war. They also were a bit smaller and thus easier to balance. 

Reveal hidden contents

See the source image

WG has no idea what they're doing with them.  That's why we haven't seen Bogue, Independence, Zuiho, Hiryu, Taiho, and Essex back into the game.  They had the stupid grand idea of removing odd tier CVs and reshuffling Ranger to Tier VI to make it easier to balance CVs against each other.  But they have no idea what to do next.  2 years on in the CV Rebork, Essex and company are still gone.

Support CVs?  LOL what's that going to entail?  Dropping Fighter consumables?  Airplanes with Radar?... Don't laugh, that was actually a thing even in WWII...

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[EQV]
Members
144 posts
1,408 battles
8 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

WG has no idea what they're doing with them.  That's why we haven't seen Bogue, Independence, Zuiho, Hiryu, Taiho, and Essex back into the game.  They had the stupid grand idea of removing odd tier CVs and reshuffling Ranger to Tier VI to make it easier to balance CVs against each other.  But they have no idea what to do next.  2 years on in the CV Rebork, Essex and company are still gone.

Support CVs?  LOL what's that going to entail?  Dropping Fighter consumables?  Airplanes with Radar?... Don't laugh, that was actually a thing even in WWII...

I actually made a post a while back requesting a support CV line and listed of the the things they could drop/do in a fight. Assuming the fighter mini rework I had also come up with went through they would carry limited direct strike squadrons and the rest would be supportive in use. Dropping smoke screens, laying naval mines in a form of area denial tactic (Can't be directly dropped on someone but could be used to try and cut off enemy pushes pre-emptively or block a route into the cap) They would also drop more consumables maybe for ally ships as I stated in my Support class chip idea. Maybe give ally carriers increased aircraft regen rates or something along those lines. (Could bring in something like the Shinano as the other tier 10 carrier for the Japanese as it was mostly a support carrier and I really would love it in game and it was effectively a floating aircraft factory/munition's carrier from what I remember of it) I had no idea that they were actually considering something of the sort.

[VOP]
Members
961 posts
On 2/10/2021 at 2:03 PM, black_hull4 said:

USS Bogue never left, but is no longer accessible to players.

That is just a technicality. If I had it, WG stripped the captain and xp off it, and I can't use it, it left as far as I am concerned.

Sign in to follow this