You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CrazyHorse_Denver

Perception???

26 comments in this topic

Members
1,507 posts
17,994 battles

Why is it that the green bots in co-op don't seem to be as "smart" as the red bots. It's pretty hard to lose a co-op game but it always seems to be the games with few real human players. You'd think that if all bots were created equal even a few human players would be enough to tilt the balance.

Something else I've always wondered about... is your mirror ship on the red team in co-op equipped with the same buffs you're using on your ship. :Smile_child:

• Haha 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,533 posts

I am slowly coming around to the idea that the bots on Red have the same crapyou have on your ship. Its a theory.

Bots require lines of code. Lines of code written by bored savants gorging on caffeine and pizza. Code has flaws. Which show in battle. For all that Bots are pretty dumb. And can be exploited ruthlessly. For example you are a detected DD closing in to take a base. Because the cruiser behind you with human already started firing the Red DD will ignore you and fire on enemy DD human while you do not shoot your dd. Eventually you will be shot at. But usually under smoke and set to start blasting them reds to the stone age. Or derezz them in tron speak.

[SIMP]
Members
1,642 posts

I'm glad the greens are as dumb as bricks. They already kill and point steal too much. Imagine if they had the same dirtbag 'smarts' as most players.

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
2,836 posts
28,435 battles

Every once in a while you get green "super-bots," but typically you have potato bots on your team.  I'm guessing the reason is to allow the human players to farm XP, damage, etc.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,533 posts

One thing for sure is bots driving ability sucks.

I'll be wrapped in smoke plinking away and two Bot BB's Tbone and push me out of the smoke. You would think that they would go around. Nope.

So I'll drive up with a DD to a objective circle then turn this way or that to get behind a rock. Then find the Bots beached on the same thing. Its almost as if they MUST drive to my dd. Dumb. And in some ways makes the game product less... appealing.

• Cool 1

Members
4,098 posts
44,123 battles

I am still getting a drive by torpedo hit by Green bot French Cruisers. Seems they don't like my Nutella jokes. 

I could be in my DD, smoked up, stopped, it drives by, plops torps at me and then yolos to the reds. There is no target that those torps should hit.

And yet, I hear: "take that Ze Great American Hero. Enjoy my tater torpy of phooey!"

• Funny 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,538 posts
22,319 battles

Not sure it's perception, red bots really look smarter than green ones.

Likewise, red CVs are now starting to hit either with bombs or torpedoes. Moved to Co-op for a CV free environment, and now they are getting good!!!

[VOP]
Members
956 posts
1 hour ago, xHeavy said:

I'll be wrapped in smoke plinking away and two Bot BB's Tbone and push me out of the smoke. You would think that they would go around. Nope.

So I'll drive up with a DD to a objective circle then turn this way or that to get behind a rock. Then find the Bots beached on the same thing. Its almost as if they MUST drive to my dd. Dumb. And in some ways makes the game product less... appealing.

Unfortunately, there are an equal or greater number of human greens who drive worse.

[CVA16]
Members
6,183 posts
19,044 battles

Red bots only let their scrubs play for the green team.

The mirror red bot ships at least get RPF and Incoming fire alert. It does seem they get other skills. Sometimes they get "Uncanny Dodge". I don't think they get CE though because I am always better than my mirror ship.

The tech tree ships  do get different upgrades. Check out the bot Furry Tacos for example. Sometimes they get the 6 single mounts, other times they get the 3 twins. Not sure what modules they mount

Tech tree bots don't get cammo. Premium bots get the cammo that the ship comes with.

Members
1,185 posts
1,692 battles
1 hour ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

Moved to Co-op for a CV free environment,

Haha, the only CV-free environment is in Tiers 1 & 2.

• Meh 1

Members
1,185 posts
1,692 battles
1 minute ago, Sabot_100 said:

Tech tree bots don't get cammo.

Except for the Kaiser on Newport that's wearing X-mas camo.

[CVA16]
Members
6,183 posts
19,044 battles
2 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

Except for the Kaiser on Newport that's wearing X-mas camo.

You have seen bot tech tree ships with cammo?  In COOP or only in that Effed-up scenario?

Haven't seen it myself in coop but could be wrong.

[CVA16]
Members
6,183 posts
19,044 battles
1 hour ago, xHeavy said:

I've been rammed in my smoke by human players. Best example I have seen for bad bot driving is  their propensity to get absolutely stuck when beached (to be fair, humans beach a lot too). They beach, back-up, then drive right back to the same spot over and over. It generally takes something big, like an enemy closing in on one side, to make them try something else. They can spend minutes trying to get clear. 

I have gotten stuck at times too. But there it is because I fishtailed  broadside into an island (usually in a DD) with obstructions fore and aft preventing me from even wiggling off. At least before I am killed.

[PVE]
Members
7,877 posts
23,851 battles
35 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I've been rammed in my smoke by human players. Best example I have seen for bad bot driving is  their propensity to get absolutely stuck when beached (to be fair, humans beach a lot too). They beach, back-up, then drive right back to the same spot over and over. It generally takes something big, like an enemy closing in on one side, to make them try something else. They can spend minutes trying to get clear. 

I have gotten stuck at times too. But there it is because I fishtailed  broadside into an island (usually in a DD) with obstructions fore and aft preventing me from even wiggling off. At least before I am killed.

The bot BB that spends the match ramming island/reversing/ramming island/reversing/(rinse & repeat...always in a border hugging location where actually running around the island to even get a shot in is mandatory) is mandatory in every match that doesn't have a CV so there is at least 1 ship to hunt down after all the others are dead...if you don't kill the others fast enough for the mercy rule to kick in.

Members
4,098 posts
44,123 battles
3 hours ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

Likewise, red CVs are now starting to hit either with bombs or torpedoes. Moved to Co-op for a CV free environment, and now they are getting good!!!

Yeah, I tried to dodge bot Kaga HE bombs in my DD and it dropped them spot on. I did see just before the hit a laser dot light up my bridge, then boom 💥.

The drop technique was very very familiar.

Even in my BB, that fade torpedo drop from that bot FDR got me good. I couldn't turn it out. I was sailing alone with no AA support. I figured the bot CV couldn't get me...

Then suddenly...

I hear cats howling.....

Then I am under attack and I WASD because my very life depended on it.

The team was visibly hiding in islands huddled in the AA donut of blessed safety just like you see in Randoms. To see a Wooster too scared to come out in co-op because of the bot FDR is disturbing.

My BB took too many torpedoes. I was flooding and couldn't move anymore. Then the HE bombs fell and I had 3 fires.

With all repairs spent, damage control on cool down and HP dropping like Wooster tears, I ordered the crew to abandon ship.

Luckily, we sank just 3 km from the island nearby and we also saw that the bot FDR creeps around the corner and passes us as we witness this travesty of CV bot superiority.

Even their captain looked vaguely familiar. A Cylon clad in (redacted by WG) with tongue sticking out. The Cylon cats is a fierce addition, but it seems to work. Except they kept shooting at us from the flight deck with those lasers. 

Obviously, WG used emulation software to create an AI just for CVs at tier 10. This bot is quite formidable and yet familiar. 

If it ever plays in Randoms, I wonder what would happen?

Anyway, that's my Harugumo and Yamato incident report.

I hope it helps. Just make sure you Dodge. And don't sail your Yamato alone.

[NONE]
Members
3,777 posts
4 hours ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

A lot of people moved to Co-op to escape the sky cancer scourge, and WG doesn't like that one bit. Especially since despite their dubious  population "data", the tier threshold for needing bots to supplement the Random MM is steadily creeping upward.

Since WG's mantra since 8.0 has been CV Uber Alles, it would not surprise me one bit if WG was experimenting with making Co-op as miserable as Randoms to goad people back into PvP for the rewards.

While such a strategy might work on some players, there are an awful lot of us who will simply quit playing immediately, or suddenly have Mikasa or Tachibana as their most-played ships.

Never underestimate WG's capacity for hare-brained cunning plans to meet their goals.

[-BCO-]
Members
1,844 posts
3,398 battles
9 hours ago, xHeavy said:

I am slowly coming around to the idea that the bots on Red have the same crapyou have on your ship. Its a theory.

Well, tbh I long come to the conclusion that the (red) bots have the same equipment possibly the very same build mirrored  as you do. For example if one has the Furutaka "unresearched" then the red bot will be in the same state  too. Seeing the difference on Furutaka is pretty obvious that's why I used her as an example.

Edited by Bandi73

[VOP]
Members
956 posts
2 minutes ago, Bandi73 said:

Well, tbh I long come to the conclusion that the (red) bots have the same equipment possibly the very same build mirrored  as you do. For example if one has the Furutaka "unresearched" then the red bot will be in the same state  too. Seeing the difference on Furutaka is pretty obvious that's why I used her as an example.

I am not sure if this is still the case, but before 8.0 the bot CV would sometimes have a different air group than mine.

[-BCO-]
Members
1,844 posts
3,398 battles
10 minutes ago, Airjellyfish said:

I am not sure if this is still the case, but before 8.0 the bot CV would sometimes have a different air group than mine.

Hm....double strike coz I didn't play back than and the Cv's I have (Furious, Rhein and KagaB on EU) were bestowed upon me by Wg and came fully researched.

[VOP]
Members
956 posts
5 minutes ago, Bandi73 said:

Hm....double strike coz I didn't play back than and the Cv's I have (Furious, Rhein and KagaB on EU) were bestowed upon me by Wg and came fully researched.

Just to clarify, by different, I meant different types of squadrons, not just upgrades. You could build a torp plane heavy CV or dive bomber/fighter heavy CV. This would vary the number of each type of squadron that you had. So, the difference in loadout was really obvious. 

[-BCO-]
Members
1,844 posts
3,398 battles
27 minutes ago, Airjellyfish said:

Just to clarify, by different, I meant different types of squadrons, not just upgrades. You could build a torp plane heavy CV or dive bomber/fighter heavy CV. This would vary the number of each type of squadron that you had. So, the difference in loadout was really obvious. 

I see.Thanks. And now?

[VOP]
Members
956 posts
7 hours ago, Bandi73 said:

I see.Thanks. And now?

You're welcome. And now, CVs have a fixed number of types of squadrons, one torpedo, one bomber, and one rocket. The planes are upgradable but the number of types of squadrons can't be changed due to the new mechanic of CVs. Fighters are now a consumable instead of a separate controllable squadron. Pre 8.0, they also had a fixed number of aircraft of each type. If a player screwed up and lost them, they were gone.

[-BCO-]
Members
1,844 posts
3,398 battles
1 hour ago, Airjellyfish said:

You're welcome. And now, CVs have a fixed number of types of squadrons, one torpedo, one bomber, and one rocket. The planes are upgradable but the number of types of squadrons can't be changed due to the new mechanic of CVs. Fighters are now a consumable instead of a separate controllable squadron. Pre 8.0, they also had a fixed number of aircraft of each type. If a player screwed up and lost them, they were gone.

Ahhh...... now I see what you meant. Basically you telling me that pre Cv rework one could build into the strength of a Cv in terms of squadrons which is now gone , so now no one can tell the difference, because ....there is none, right? Ok, thanks. 

[VOP]
Members
956 posts
40 minutes ago, Bandi73 said:

Ahhh...... now I see what you meant. Basically you telling me that pre Cv rework one could build into the strength of a Cv in terms of squadrons which is now gone , so now no one can tell the difference, because ....there is none, right? Ok, thanks. 

Yes. For example, I ran my Saipan with 3 fighter squadrons and one bomber squadron. Occasionally, the bot Saipan would run with 2 fighter squadrons and 2 torpedo squadrons. All squadrons could be in the air at the same time and are controlled in the map view. The player did not actually fly the planes. The squadron made its one attack and returned. But those attacks could be very devastating.

[OGF]
Members
168 posts
6,138 battles
12 hours ago, Bandi73 said:

It's not mirrored anymore.  You can see this most clearly with early Japanese BBs like Myogi, since the early and late versions are visually drastically distinct even from long distance.  I've seen it both ways now - either with my fully-upgraded Myogi vs a bot stock Myogi, or somebody brings in a stock Myogi and the bot is specc'd out.  There's also been a lot more "tier equivalent substition" than there used to be, where there might be 3 green DDs or BBs and none of the other DDs or BBs are a perfect triple match.  I used to count on the pan-asian being present if somebody took one out, and at one time that was true, but I have seen a number of fights by now where the enemy DDs do not have a PA DD on their side.    

• Thanks 1