You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HeidiAngel

Please Help with Riga

34 comments in this topic

[TIGRB]
Members
392 posts
1,902 battles

Hello Captains!

I hope you all are safe, happy and healthy! I have a problem. It's name is Heavy Cruiser Riga. She is my first tier nine ship and I was VERY excited to get her. I watched videos on YouTube on how to play her. They are all old btw, and I looked up warship wiki for more information. I played her in co op 4 or 5 times to get to know my new and pretty cruiser. Then took her out into random Battles.                               AAARRRGGGHHH! She hates me!            Now matter how I play her or what strategy I use [Granted I am not as experienced as most of you] I cannot get a handle on this ship! HE stinks,,,AP hits like whip cream blobs unless enemy ships is close and yelling at me to hit it's broadside. This ship does not Smoosh,,,,it smeeshes. Big difference, lol.

As soon as the enemy get gets the word I'm spotted I feel like I am sitting on a park bench with a thousand Pigeons above me. Oh The Smell btw!. One good placed bird dropping and my citadel explodes itsy bitsy bitsy splinters. So I am pleading for help please. I know many of you know how to play her like a beautiful Violin. I like to make the same music so please help a girl out,,,,please please please??? Any help will be appreciated.

Stay safe please.

7b1b81b028051136d61c5a59009d39ca.jpg

• Haha 2

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

I'm still at the Tallinn and love that ship ... I was hoping the Riga would play as well or even stronger.  Sorry, I have no advice but look forward to reading the answers you get.

And I wish you luck in learning her (his?) secrets to better results. 

• Cool 1

[TIGRB]
Members
392 posts
1,902 battles
2 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

I'm still at the Tallinn and love that ship ... I was hoping the Riga would play as well or even stronger.  Sorry, I have no advice but look forward to reading the answers you get.

And I wish you luck in learning her (his?) secrets to better results. 

I wish you luck as well. The community usually is pretty helpful.

• Thanks 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,106 posts
11,764 battles

I liked Tallin and Petro much better tier for tier than Riga. Towards the end of my Riga grind I played her like the donskoi and found it the effective for me at least, I.e. spam he and kite early game, find opportunities to push and potential use ap mid to late game

Edited by ditka_Fatdog

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles

I've seen people saying the grind of to the Petro grind was a hard one. And I have to agree. I didn't like the Riga. Or the Tallin for that matter. I am finding the light cruiser line to be quite good though.

[TIGRB]
Members
392 posts
1,902 battles
7 minutes ago, WarStore said:

I've seen people saying the grind of to the Petro grind was a hard one. And I have to agree. I didn't like the Riga. Or the Tallin for that matter. I am finding the light cruiser line to be quite good though.

I did not like the Tallinn either. It was hard to score points with and hard to survive a game with. I didn't feel useful to the team with it.

[TORCH]
Members
697 posts
17,886 battles

Hey, Heidi, I feel your pain.  I got Riga fairly recently, and I am right there with you in the "Riga hates me" club.  In fact, I'm a charter member of said club.  Riga and I just aren't getting along.  The things I do with other cruisers don't seem to work.  Yet I noticed in a recent thread about the "best" T9 ships that several people mentioned Riga, so there must be folks out there that are making her work.  I'm eagerly awaiting their answers to your plea.

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
222 posts
1,728 battles
1 hour ago, HeidiAngel said:

Hello Captains!

I hope you all are safe, happy and healthy! I have a problem. It's name is Heavy Cruiser Riga. She is my first tier nine ship and I was VERY excited to get her. I watched videos on YouTube on how to play her. They are all old btw, and I looked up warship wiki for more information. I played her in co op 4 or 5 times to get to know my new and pretty cruiser. Then took her out into random Battles.                               AAARRRGGGHHH! She hates me!            Now matter how I play her or what strategy I use [Granted I am not as experienced as most of you] I cannot get a handle on this ship! HE stinks,,,AP hits like whip cream blobs unless enemy ships is close and yelling at me to hit it's broadside. This ship does not Smoosh,,,,it smeeshes. Big difference, lol.

As soon as the enemy get gets the word I'm spotted I feel like I am sitting on a park bench with a thousand Pigeons above me. Oh The Smell btw!. One good placed bird dropping and my citadel explodes itsy bitsy bitsy splinters. So I am pleading for help please. I know many of you know how to play her like a beautiful Violin. I like to make the same music so please help a girl out,,,,please please please??? Any help will be appreciated.

Stay safe please.

Tier 9 cruisers are awkward, and tier 9 CAs even more so. 

General rules of thumb apply: FXP into her B-hull ASAP. If you have loads of credits, get as many modules as you can (Concealment is a must) 

Build for Concealment and tanking. 

If you ever played a USN CA (Alaska especially) the play style is very similar. Islands are friends. Pick fights only with one enemy at a time, and always watch out for those darn sniping BBs from across the map. 

Overall CAs at this tier are very squishy. Tier X BBs can overmatch your bow so bow tanking isn't a thing until you get into Petro. The heal definitely helps, but understanding when to use them and not is not straight forward (i.e. how do you balance the reload boost of AR vs surviving a bad turnout against a surprise AP salvo that could chunk you significantly). 

Riga is a good ship. 220mm AP is better than many tier 9 CAs. The radar is too short to do much, but you kind of want it just in case you have to catch a DD. But she is a opportunist, that means catching broadsiding cruisers, kiting away whenever you find yourself too isolated, hiding behind islands or keeping yourself between a friendly BB and a island in Yuro's Famous Triangle, and being willing to use HE against BBs. 

Last piece of advice, your 220mm AP will fully pen and do significant damage against BB superstructure. With your DPM, that can reduce a full hp BB within a minute. If a BB is bow into you, use this to your advantage since superstructures can't bow tank. Superstructures do saturate, but if the engagement lasts that long, either you or the other captain is doing something wrong.   

• Thanks 1

[TIGRB]
Members
392 posts
1,902 battles
7 minutes ago, Roken1 said:

General rules of thumb apply: FXP into her B-hull ASAP. If you have loads of credits, get as many modules as you can (Concealment is a must) 

If you ever played a USN CA (Alaska especially) the play style is very similar. Islands are friends. Pick fights only with one enemy at a time, and always watch out for those darn sniping BBs from across the map. 

Overall CAs at this tier are very squishy. Tier X BBs can overmatch your bow so bow tanking isn't a thing until you get into Petro. The heal definitely helps, but understanding when to use them and not is not straight forward (i.e. how do you balance the reload boost of AR vs surviving a bad turnout against a surprise AP salvo that could chunk you significantly). 

Riga is a good ship. 220mm AP is better than many tier 9 CAs. The radar is too short to do much, but you kind of want it just in case you have to catch a DD. But she is a opportunist, that means catching broadsiding cruisers, kiting away whenever you find yourself too isolated, hiding behind islands or keeping yourself between a friendly BB and a island in Yuro's Famous Triangle, and being willing to use HE against BBs. 

Last piece of advice, your 220mm AP will fully pen and do significant damage against BB superstructure. With your DPM, that can reduce a full hp BB within a minute. If a BB is bow into you, use this to your advantage since superstructures can't bow tank. Superstructures do saturate, but if the engagement lasts that long, either you or the other captain is doing something wrong.   

Sorry for being ignorant, but I have to find out what FXP is. Lol

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,494 posts

Free experience points. Large green collection of points in upper left corner of your port screen.

• Thanks 1

[TIGRB]
Members
392 posts
1,902 battles
4 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Free experience points. Large green collection of points in upper left corner of your port screen.

I finally figured it out myself. Lol

[FORM]
Members
2,202 posts
13,198 battles

I loved the Riga, sit on the side of an island so you don't give up broadsides, keep that nose in and just be a really mean thorn in the side of the other team. Great warm up for the best BB in the game... the Petro! ;)

• Thanks 1

[UNC]
Members
904 posts
6,319 battles

One thing it took me some time to figure out (and not just for Riga) with radar ships is that their radar can be a trap.  If you are pushing in early game in hopes of radaring an enemy DD, you won't last long enough to do anything.  I found Riga worked best for me on a flank and looking for opportunities to use her AP on broadsides.  The HE DPM of the Russian CAs is pretty crummy, so AP is likely to be your ammo of choice unless you are trying to murder DDs or farm some damage off of bow-in BBs.  Generally Riga is pretty tanky if angled correctly, you'll want to use that to your advantage if possible especially since she turns like a brick. 

I liked Riga better than Tallinn, and Petro better than Riga, but I don't personally think they are terribly powerful ships in randoms due to a general lack of coordinated teamplay.  If a ship angles to a Riga or Petro, they really can't hurt it much because the HE DPM is so poor. 

• Thanks 1

[TIGRB]
Members
392 posts
1,902 battles
5 hours ago, Roken1 said:

Thank you Thank you Thank you! I got the consumable for the Radar. I did what you said, I skirted Islands and took shots where I could and looked for an opportunity to fight 1 ship at a time. I was Very careful to watch my mini map and see if anyone was taking shots at me from other places on the map. I spread my shots out at different ships because as the game went on different opportunities came up. By doing that I had a decent game in her,,and had fun! Turrets turn slow and that is a pain but other than that it was really a better game for me. I got two Smoosh kills! I owe you big time.!

Screenshot (120).png

Screenshot (122).png

Screenshot (121).png

Edited by HeidiAngel
  • Cool 5

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,366 posts
17,001 battles

when you 1vs1, bow in, fire on their superstructure, and AP when opportunity given

your AP shells can pen and citadel even BB, you need wiki to learn other nation armor so that you know which ships bb/cruiser that you can pick on by AP, HE for fire dam. Best to make xcel of the armor scheme so you can remembered better

just be mindful and don't show your broadside, Russian suffered badly due to their citadel bid and above waterline, easy to shoot and that why everyone want to fire on you. Pick your battle too

Wait till you get to theeeee PPPPeeeeeppppptrrrrrooooooooo

• Thanks 1

[HAI]
Members
206 posts

I think normally WG gives u a stinky T9 before much better T10.

[TIGRB]
Members
392 posts
1,902 battles
6 hours ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Hey, Heidi, I feel your pain.  I got Riga fairly recently, and I am right there with you in the "Riga hates me" club.  In fact, I'm a charter member of said club.  Riga and I just aren't getting along.  The things I do with other cruisers don't seem to work.  Yet I noticed in a recent thread about the "best" T9 ships that several people mentioned Riga, so there must be folks out there that are making her work.  I'm eagerly awaiting their answers to your plea.

Check out the help I got. Maybe it will help you? Hope so.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,846 posts
14,851 battles

Riga is a ship I always wanted to like, but never could.

It’s the guns. They just underwhelm at every opportunity. They never impress.

The 15-second radar of the CA side of the cruiser split is no reason to celebrate, either.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
  • Cool 1

[5D8]
Members
193 posts
20,433 battles

I got tired of it, and FXP'd out of it w/ 100k fxp. I'm a potato, and it made me more potato-y, and it wasnt fun to play.

[WPORT]
Members
8,077 posts
13,146 battles
9 hours ago, HeidiAngel said:

Hello Captains!

Stay safe please.

Awesome post!  

I hope you get the information and helpful tips you deserve.
I don't have the Riga, but have been seeing her as an opponent in several matches.

I'm looking forward to reading the help that your post elicits.

• Cool 1

[TIGRB]
Members
392 posts
1,902 battles
42 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Awesome post!  

I hope you get the information and helpful tips you deserve.
I don't have the Riga, but have been seeing her as an opponent in several matches.

I'm looking forward to reading the help that your post elicits.

Thank you Mr Paws. Scroll up. A Gentleman did give me some tips and I used them and had a decent game. I posted the results on my reply and thank you to him. Patience is the big factor and picking out ships 1 on 1.

[WPORT]
Members
8,077 posts
13,146 battles
3 minutes ago, HeidiAngel said:

Thank you Mr Paws. Scroll up. A Gentleman did give me some tips and I used them and had a decent game. I posted the results on my reply and thank you to him. Patience is the big factor and picking out ships 1 on 1.

:cap_book::cap_like:

[RAGE]
Members
10 posts
7,610 battles

Most of the high tier Russian ships do best like others have said, working the flanks. Patience is especially valuable with the cruisers, wait for DDs and CVS to spot the positions the enemy team is moving towards before committing to a specific action. The Riga plays very similar to Petro, bow tanking and proper angling is key. Like most Russian ships, the citadel is huge and sits above the water line, if you are caught broadside to someone with AP loaded, you will be punished. Try to pick positions that allow you to focus on one target and positions that make it difficult or impossible for the enemy to access your flanks. Russian ships do not enjoy diving into the middle of the frey, pick your way around the outskirts one ship at a time. Petro and Riga are both ships that can benefit greatly from having RDF because of the short duration radar, slow rate of fire and slow turret traverse. If you know there is something likely to be in your radar range, you can use RDF to get your turrets turned to the proper bearing, so that you can fire your guns the moment you use your radar--this ensures that you'll be able to get off at least 2 if not 3 volleys before the radar duration runs out. That said, because of the dispersion, landing good hits on destroyers at the edge of radar range can be difficult, so if its safe to do so, you can also get your ship moving in the direction RDF points you and be in a good position to close the distance if you need to. Despite learning those skills, the combination of short radar and slow guns means that hunting DDs is not efficient for Riga, and it more a defensive tool to turn on the lights and make the lolibotes scatter, and give your team intelligence on what sort of dd threat is nearby to contend with. 

As far as the guns, Riga has very strong AP, and can absolute take chunks out of BBs and delete cruisers that make mistakes. Obviously if you see a broadside, punish it. If a ship is angled towards you or bow on, aim for the super structure. If faced against a BB and you're struggling to do meaningful damage, aim for its guns, Riga can easily incapacitate or even destroy a BBs turrets. If you can't out trade the ship your fighting, at least you can greatly reduce the damage they can do to you, and in turn hopefully buy enough time for your team to help.

Lastly, when committing to an action, plan ahead and try to leave yourself an easy escape route that would allow you to disengage safely if things don't go your way and you are at risk of being overrun.

Also watch videos on YouTube and twitch for Riga, Petro, Stalingrad, Alaska, any of the soviet BBs tier 7+, or any other heavy cruiser. They all share similarities.  Spend some time in the training rooms and practice shooting tier 9 and 10 BBs and cruisers from all angles and distances to figure out the most efficient ways to deal damage.

Once you get the hang of this boat, I'm sure you'll find it very rewarding, just remember patience. Gooduck!

Edited by SrGatoBueno
  • Cool 1

[RAGE]
Members
10 posts
7,610 battles

Also meant to say I'd be more than happy to hop on and play a few games with you to see if I can give any other pointers.