You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Yesman1337

Kaga Secondary's?

10 comments in this topic

[EQV]
Members
144 posts
1,408 battles

I just realized it actually has some rather large ones and quite a few of them at that. 5 200mm guns per side and a bit of 127mm as well. How are the stats on these and would it be worth building into them at all. (Just to maybe fend off a DD or two it aint no GZ but god I hate when a DD sneaks into the back and the team ignores them)

• Boring 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,826 posts
7,536 battles

It was built from a Tosa Class Battleship hull.    Its secondary's are reasonable decent... It's no GZ but can defend itself in a pinch.  

Still.. its strengths are planes. I would not waste any captains skills on them.  

Edited by iRA6E
grammer & spelling errors erywhere

[CVA16]
Members
6,189 posts
19,067 battles

At the time they were built, Admiralties had little confidence in the planes being sufficient to defend the CV or the fleet. They expected they would end up with enemy ships closing in and didn't want them defenseless. A big ship with no big guns was ridiculous. The US did the same with the Lexington and Saratoga. They soon found they were wrong and subsequent CVs only had AA type guns and, in the US case, the 8" guns were removed.

I'm guessing WG has gimped the range on those 8" guns as I have never really noticed their effect when chasing down a Kaga vs any other non-German CV.,

Edit:

Just checked and the base range for the secondaries is a whopping 4.5K. You COULD bump that up to 5.4 with a 4pt skill. If there is a DD inside 6 K he probably screwed up  and/or you are about to see a whole bunch of torps coming  your way very soon. The angles on the 8" are pretty limited too. Not really an option to invest in those guns.

Edited by Sabot_100

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,112 posts
11,845 battles
1 hour ago, Yesman1337 said:

I just realized it actually has some rather large ones and quite a few of them at that. 5 200mm guns per side and a bit of 127mm as well. How are the stats on these and would it be worth building into them at all. (Just to maybe fend off a DD or two it aint no GZ but god I hate when a DD sneaks into the back and the team ignores them)

Might be worthwhile for memes in co-op but overall combat effectiveness is probably better spent using the skills on planes instead. Jmo from a non cv main

[COOP2]
Members
372 posts
9,735 battles

I found their reload rate is too slow, along with typicaly bad secondary accuracy, to give them much thought or build into them. Kaga survives based on her planes.

Back in the day the IJN would have been better off removing them from the ship during one of her many refits to save weight/space/crew.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
992 posts
8,023 battles
2 hours ago, Yesman1337 said:

No CV build, for efficiency or influence purposes, includes secondary captain skills/equipment module slots. Never do it. I used to with the MvR but it is not worth it anymore. 

For Kaga, there is also just too many good skills to take over secondaries, especially with regard to the torpedos, it's bread and butter.

[EQV]
Members
144 posts
1,408 battles

Wish they were better it's always fun to try some interesting stuff on ships. I enjoy surprising DD's in my German CV's I wish they would buff the CV secondary skill. It's 4 points yet does not give much either that or buff range or something for them as they are a hilarious off meta build to use.

[NUWES]
Members
3,385 posts
12,292 battles
20 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

No CV build, for efficiency or influence purposes, includes secondary captain skills/equipment module slots. Never do it. I used to with the MvR but it is not worth it anymore. 

For Kaga, there is also just too many good skills to take over secondaries, especially with regard to the torpedos, it's bread and butter.

^This. 100% agree. The OP should not spec for it. GZ is the only one where it makes any sense at all and even then it is a waste of points. Kaga has secondaries and they are better than some but there are nowhere near useful enough to take points away from buffing the planes . 

[REVY]
Members
2,640 posts
14,473 battles
4 hours ago, Yesman1337 said:

I'm going to agree it probably wouldn't be worth the effort. Kaga's strength is in her air group.

If you want a secondary CV beast, Graf Zepplin.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,448 posts
8,165 battles

I actually gave them a try long before the Captain Rework went and screwed up most T7 and up secondary builds. Even back then the range was shorter than you'd expect and the rate of fire was quite low (they are Furutaka's stock guns after all). It really wasn't worth bothering with then and is pretty much a stupid idea now. Even with CV's being in the crummy state they are (at least in my opinion), Kaga is far better off relying on her aviation capabilities. If they'd been 140mm's instead, they might have been interesting to try before the rework, but with the low ROF and no AP or SAP, 200mm's make shockingly poor secondaries. Sometimes I wish they'd let us pick AP or HE for secondaries 139mm or greater, used to have a lot of luck with Nagato's 140mm AP back in the day. Actually that would've made for an interesting captain skill for their rework, but clearly the stated intent of offering more variety was a bit of a lie.