Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Swervenkill

2 Random Questions

7 comments in this topic

[CUDA]
Members
286 posts
8,014 battles

Question 1: When is the perfect time to launch catapult fighters? 

Question 2: Has anyone tried taking a 21 point captain and buying all the low skills instead of going for high ones? I looked and (because some of the skills are X'ed out) you could get 5@ level one and 2 and 2 level three skills.  Just curious how game play would be different and if you get more bang for the buck that way. I don't have any 21 captains.

[PVE]
Members
5,095 posts
22,557 battles
29 minutes ago, Swervenkill said:

Question 2: Has anyone tried taking a 21 point captain and buying all the low skills instead of going for high ones? I looked and (because some of the skills are X'ed out) you could get 5@ level one and 2 and 2 level three skills.  Just curious how game play would be different and if you get more bang for the buck that way. I don't have any 21 captains.

1).  I try to launch them so that their initial circle coincides with the attacking AC's first entry into the zone......  Does it make a difference?  Who the heck knows.......  I guess, you could study replays.

2).  In COOP, I'm not sure anything makes much of a "difference" because the battles are shorter.  All this reBORK did is take "real value" from each match you play......forcing you, to play more to get the same results....  So, all of those skill choices actually give you less than you started with "overall".....  It's a net loss.   All of the lower skills together?   The most it would do is provide some smaller conveniences but, overall, the loss of value would be the same.   When they designed these "skill traps", as some call them, they run all of the choices against a spreadsheet to insure the overall results produce "less value per match" in all modes of play........    Take GTG as an example......a very few ships gain........and, they know that as a "carrot" for the change.........but, those same ships lost something else at a greater rate and overall, are losing money OR are compelling people to buy those few benefited ships.....

You can play without any skills and make money.  I just did that in the Research Bureau and it made very little difference.......   It's all a "value sink" to take from us what they could not earn from creating new content.  A real example of a "Brown Sea" strategy.........

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[CO-OP]
Members
2,826 posts
28,397 battles
2 hours ago, Swervenkill said:

@Asym_KS got this right.  You try to launch so that your fighters will swing into intercept the oncoming aircraft.  The timing doesn't have to be all that accurate.  Your fighters will move to engage them if they are close.  It does help your air defense, but if you have the option I'd outfit a spotter.

2. Much of this may depend on the ship.  Destroyers need the concealment expert.  Battleships can benefit from the high-point skills, but are not 100% necessary.  Cruisers and carriers can probably get away without high-point skills, but there are some that improve your quality of life.  Overall I would still use some 3 and 4 point skills on every ship.

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,228 posts
17,219 battles

2 Random Answers:

1) Bacon

2) Blame Bethesda

Hope that helped. :Smile_teethhappy:

Spoiler

Sorry, couldn't resist. :Smile_hiding:

• Haha 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,172 posts
19,039 battles
2 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

Cruisers and carriers can probably get away without high-point skills, but there are some that improve your quality of life.  Overall I would still use some 3 and 4 point skills on every ship.

Most cruisers are going to NEED CE. Not all but it can be a definite problem if you are the first one spotted.

The bots have RPF and will have their guns trained and aimed just waiting for you to become visible at the start.  Get spotted and the shells are on the way. You can get by with no-skills (in coop) but some will definitely improve  your performance/quality of life.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,826 posts
28,397 battles
35 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Most cruisers are going to NEED CE. Not all but it can be a definite problem if you are the first one spotted

The bots have RPF and will have their guns trained and aimed just waiting for you to become visible at the start.  Get spotted and the shells are on the way. You can get by with no-skills (in coop) but some will definitely improve  your performance/quality of life.

Most of the time I'm going to be firing as soon as I can with cruisers, so CE is only beneficial for that first salvo.  As a cruiser main, I am used to being focus-fired and have learned to used those WASD hacks to keep properly angled.

Sign in to follow this