You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
captain_fearless

I got Georgia, should I get Massa?

18 comments in this topic

[E-REB]
Members
37 posts
5,144 battles

So I got Georgia for coal, and now with the news of some premiums going away, is it worth getting the Massa? Like is it worth having both premiums or will Georgia suffice my need for a secondary ship?

I also have a bunch of gold from free Santa crates and a coupon so I can get Massa half off, however, I also really want Warspite.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,265 posts
12,210 battles

I would get the Massachusetts too it's a really good ship . Never know might not come back and it also plays different then the Georgia . There's room for both of these ships in your port in my opinion . You might regret not picking her up one day if she doesn't come back ..

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,759 posts
4,771 battles

Yes. by all means get Taxxachu .. er .. Massachusetts. Georgia has good secondaries, but she isn't really a brawler like MA, IME.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,691 posts
10,099 battles

Massachusetts got hurt by the secondary nerf and by the shift in meta which punishes pushing and BB brawling. Keep that in mind. Still a good ship, but I haven't touched mine since 0.10 came out.

As a brawler secondary ship Massachusetts is IMO better than Georgia, so there is that. Tighter turning radius alone is pretty huge.

• Thanks 1

Members
400 posts
26 battles

I have both and enjoy doing so, they have their similarities with their secondaries and 40s repair party. Likewise they both benefit from similar shared captains. If I could ever be bothered with the RB I could be inclined to get Ohio for the whole family.

I got Massa back in May and it's become my second most played ships in Randoms with 154 games and my go to in ranked. I'd sum it up as "The battleship I wanted to play since I first stated playing as a US BB main in February 2016"

Massa' is obviously significantly slower than Georgia, but very agile (for t8  BB...). Likewise it has very good torpedo protection and what can be considered good AA these days.

Whilst the main battery is short ranged at 18km, and can have rather wonky shots with 1.7 sigma, lack of aiming systems in slot 3 and US dispersion. I actually still find her guns reliable and satisfying by T8 BB standards, generally if you hit something, then you do something and not just over pens. Something I can't say for many of her peers.

Since 0.10.0 I've found Massachusetts to be still pretty effective and fun in ranked battles, but has definitely taken a hit to the loss/points increase of key skills and the current Deadeye BBs & No Concealment cruiser spam meta. As usual you're a beast when top tier but I don't think it does well tiered up to 10 but frankly few tier 8 ships do unless the enemy ship lineup is forgiving or you're on a map (and the flow of battle) allows you to engage ships on your own terms.

Before I ran a slightly hybrid build for both ships that focused on secondary range with AFT but also has Fire Prevention and Concealment instead of Manual Secondaries. I tend to try and use my non-Manual secondaries as more like a "no go zone" than a dedicated weapon. So I didn't feel the hit to Manual Secondaries to the ship. The loss/points increase of Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush and Superintendent is however very noticeable.

Whilst HONOUR means I never want to just have a pure tank build on Massa', I honestly think it would still be a strong and fun enough ship without the secondaries.

Warspite is also great but my experience has been more consistant with Massa'.

But we've just had one of the biggest changes to the game ever so do bear that in mind when buying any ship.

Edited by SoothingWhaleSongEU
  • Thanks 1

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
707 posts
5,975 battles
9 hours ago, captain_fearless said:

So I got Georgia for coal, and now with the news of some premiums going away, is it worth getting the Massa? Like is it worth having both premiums or will Georgia suffice my need for a secondary ship?

I also have a bunch of gold from free Santa crates and a coupon so I can get Massa half off, however, I also really want Warspite.

If you have the means get the Mass. Warspite will be there later.

• Thanks 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

I got Mass as soon as I could after release ... I felt no need for Georgia until it was announced it was being pulled.  I still prefer playing the Mass.  

I think you will enjoy it ... and you can use the same Captain on both ships.

• Cool 1

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,361 posts
9 hours ago, DocWalker said:

I got Mass as soon as I could after release ... I felt no need for Georgia until it was announced it was being pulled.  I still prefer playing the Mass.  

I think you will enjoy it ... and you can use the same Captain on both ships.

This , if you got the means grab it.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles

Depends, if you already have a good BB... Then you dont need a Mass...

• The secondaries accuracy increased by %1 after the cpt rework...
  • Guns have to much arch... For some that is a deal breaker...
  • Decent AA
  • Decent heal
  • Squishy armor

I use it to clear some CMs.

Its still a fun BB for her tier...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Thanks 1

[E-REB]
Members
37 posts
5,144 battles

So I got the Massa and I now understand why this ship is being removed from the shop

I got a 117k game on her maiden voyage, with 2 kills, 156 secondary hits, and 3 000 000 potential damage received.

When it was all over I was mouth open, wondering, "how did I even last this long"

I definitely don't regret this purchase, Thank you captains

• Cool 1

Members
400 posts
26 battles
5 hours ago, captain_fearless said:

So I got the Massa and I now understand why this ship is being removed from the shop

I got a 117k game on her maiden voyage, with 2 kills, 156 secondary hits, and 3 000 000 potential damage received.

When it was all over I was mouth open, wondering, "how did I even last this long"

Yeah, welcome to club Massa'.
I will also be forced to admit it is over powerful, but it does so whilst encouraging such a damn fun playstyle.

*Being tier 8 it probably has the most variance in enemies in the game seeing t6-10 and it tends not to have fun at tier 10 but I can't think of a single ship that does.

• Cool 1

[GLF]
Members
51 posts
25,680 battles

Well I was in your situation,  had Georgia, to Mass or not to Mass.  Fear of missing out won and spent the gold on Mass.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts
On 2/11/2021 at 8:27 PM, captain_fearless said:

Glad to hear you're enjoying the ship ... the whole point is having fun, and I've never been disappointed in that regard.

• Thanks 1

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
194 posts
13,147 battles

I prefer Georgia for game play but Massachusetts has a more personal connection. I visited her in Fall River a few times in the '70s and she's a historical ship where Georgia is not. Georgia is just more fun to play in this pixel bote game.

But as has been mentioned, you can basically run the same captain on both so, in the end it's up to you. I haven't tried Mass in the current meta in randoms but I think I'd be more comfortable in Georgia regardless. And while Georgia has good (no longer great) secondaires (as those no longer exist), that's not really how you should play it. It's not a brawler really. Use those big accurate six boom sticks you have to chunk your targets, secondary stuff is just a bonus (and fun when you hear "we've sunk an enemy destroyer" that you didn't even know was in range).

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
74 posts
4,047 battles

After my beloved Church of the Brawler Bismark, there is my Massachusetts. Brawling was the best, not so much now of course. Both of mine are parked and it's back to TW dd fun.

• Cool 1