You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Qilang

NC

11 comments in this topic

[HAI]
Members
209 posts

I don't know why many ppl like it. Its shell is slow as fxxk, can't hit anything over 18km.

actually it has the slowest shell among all T8 BBs, by large margin.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,893 posts
25,782 battles
21 minutes ago, Qilang said:

I don't know why many ppl like it. Its shell is slow as fxxk, can't hit anything over 18km.

Somebody downvoted you, but the truth is that North Carolina is the worst performing Tier VIII Battleship.  Bismarck had been better for years.  This was true even before the Skill Rebork, even before German BBs moved up to the USN / RN Battleship Dispersion Model.

27kts is better than the LOLORADO, but all the Non-USN BBs this tier are 30kts is now "the standard" in Tier VIII.

USN BB AA is not what it used to be compared to the RTS CV-era where they butchered planes.

Accuracy isn't the problem for NC and those Tier VIII USN BB guns... It's the shell flight characteristics.  They hang in the air quite a bit and you have to do some serious leading.  If you jump from ship to ship, and then get into a Tier VIII USN BB, the difference in how much you need to lead compared to other BBs this tier is quite jarring.

If that's not enough, a 356mm armed BB can light North Carolina up if they can get a view of her sides, waterline Citadel be damned.

German BB players constantly whined, "Oh playing Bismarck is too hard, she sucks, she's obsolete" when Bisko does better than North Carolina.

North Carolina only looks "good" because you got off the POS in Tier VII called Colorado / LOLORADO.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[VORTX]
Members
589 posts
7,722 battles

It’s one of my favorite t8 battleships. Long range, great concealment, good gun angle, reasonably accurate.  Standard level of American squish.  But it’s also maneuverable and pretty fast. What I really liked about it was how it performed when it was bottom tier. It’s conceal and range really lent themselves to still being effective especially with the current meta. Good luck in a bottom tier amagi and Bismarck. 

[46856]
Members
1,928 posts

NC is not bad it was the OG sniper for the longest time she bow tanked well and with some getting used to those plunging fire arcs at long range wrecked peoples day. I deleted my first Omaha at range in the NC. Left me grinning for days that one did. She used to have great AA too. It was a mainstay in clan battles then as well.

Like all older ships WG back-stabbed this ship to make room for sales.

Edited by Chain_shot
  • Cool 2

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,257 posts
16,138 battles

For SOME crazy reason the NC seems to shoot better when everything is upgraded... not sure why but I certainly notice it and I have reground the line 3x now.

[TIMT]
Members
1,405 posts
4,940 battles
1 hour ago, Qilang said:

Honestly, I also don't do good in NC. My damage is okay, but I could never get to do the right damage it seems as my winrate in her is pretty bad.

The guns are however her selling point. While the shells are slow, the dispersion and sigma are very good for the Tier and BBs as a whole. So she rewards good aim but punishes bad aim, hard. When I went from having played mostly Massa to NC I noticed that I couldn't hit anything anymore, even though they have the same guns. After a while it hit me, after I observed that when I did hit in NC I did way more damage than in Massa: I just couldn't use the extra accuracy on NC because my aim was too bad.

If you have a shotgun (low sigma) and spread out you shots across a larger area more evenly, you only have to get that larger area to overlap with the target and you will get some damage. If you shrink the area and concentrate the shots more towards the middle, you need to get much better at lining up the target with the area where the shells land.

Also other things aren't as bad on NC: she has some speed compared to all the USN standard BBs, her deck with 38mm is somewhat overmatch and HE resistant, her heal is good, and her concealment is excellent (not quite Roma levels, but close). Her sides are weak, due to her being designed for 14" guns, but angled she is quite sturdy.

I had success playing her at ranges around her concealment plus, so 12-15km. At those ranges I could reliably hit things while still having the ability to go dark and reposition. Don't get caught bow in at a place where you can't go dark, or turn away to get distance.

Overall she is one of those ships that are nice when you know how to play it, but not easy to pick up. I never really got around to myself, and after the latest patch I kinda gave up on playing BBs and focused more on DDs and Cruisers. But it is one of the ships where I most felt that I was held back more by my own skills than the ship, if that makes sense.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,495 posts
22,925 battles

Once you fully upgrade her she is a beast.

The shell velocity is the same for iowa and monty....

Super heavy AP for the win.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,893 posts
25,782 battles
3 hours ago, Morpheous said:

For SOME crazy reason the NC seems to shoot better when everything is upgraded... not sure why but I certainly notice it and I have reground the line 3x now.

Nothing is wrong with NC's accuracy.  It's good.  It's even 2.0 Sigma.  That was true even before the Skill Rebork.

The problem with NC is the leading you have to do with a number of targets 15km or longer.  A Cruiser dancing at 16km+ like a Charles Martel becomes a very annoying problem.

When I played range spamming HE Cruisers, Tier VIII USN Battleships with their 16"/45 guns were my preferred targets because their return fire at 16km+ was a joke... It took ages for their shells to arrive, and by the time they did, I was long gone.  Iowa, Missouri, Montana were different.  Their shells came in a bit quicker coming out of the 16"/50 guns.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,801 posts
6,026 battles

Because of that slow shell speed NC is the only BB in the game, so far as I know, that can actually accomplish plunging fire.

Also, she is better than Monarch.

[HINON]
Members
8,696 posts
12,697 battles
15 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Also, she is better than Monarch.

tbf, basically every T8 BB is better than Monarch