Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Toxygene

Unique Commanders (Jutland brothers etc)

18 comments in this topic

[O2]
Members
457 posts
10,034 battles

Anyone knows what happened to the two "von Jutland" brothers. Or the "Dunkirk's"? Were they renamed?

In the example, there's a "James Somerville" and a "John Jellicoe" but the two Dunkirk's are gone. Andy Cunningham is still there. It sounds like WG dropped the fictitious Dunkirk's and replaced them with non-ficticious ones. I can see the same pattern in the German ones ('von Spee' and 'Scheer' instead of the two 'von Jutland').

World_of_Warships_2021_02_09_13_52_38.jpg

Edited by Toxygene

[PVE]
Members
1,144 posts
9,607 battles
11 minutes ago, Toxygene said:

Anyone knows what happened to the two "von Jutland" brothers. Or the "Dunkirk's"? Were they renamed?

They are still Dunkirks, Bert and Jack. I see Bert in the armory. No idea where Jack buggered off to though

Members
400 posts
26 battles

I can see in my Armoury Franz, Reinhard and Bert available to buy and Jack is on my Dreadnought?
Do you have a mod that changes any of them? That John Jellicoe looks like the art from Legends.

Perhaps Jellicoe was teased out by the Deadeye meta?
I hope I don't get David Beatty, he'll just Yolo.

image.thumb.png.19d2653b4235b8458dc99b91e81acc6b.png

image.thumb.png.9c82d536a182263f6794665de4a78929.png

• Haha 1

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,578 posts
15,102 battles

They are both still there. As for "James Somerville" and a "John Jellicoe" I don't think those have been available for some time.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,665 posts
25,149 battles
48 minutes ago, Toxygene said:

In the example, there's a "James Somerville" and a "John Jellicoe" but the two Dunkirk's are gone. Andy Cunningham is still there. It sounds like WG dropped the fictitious Dunkirk's and replaced them with non-ficticious ones. I can see the same pattern in the German ones ('von Spee' and 'Scheer' instead of the two 'von Jutland').

I don't even remember the Jelicoe captain but check your Armory. There are quite a few unique captains there available for doubloons and coal. Be careful if you buy one of the Pan Asian captains. In my Armory he was priced in doubloons but when I bought him, the confirmation said coal and I lost 35k coal and not the 1500 doubloons I intended. Support told me that without a screen grab of a potential purchase showing this, there was nothing they could do....... 

[AN2AC]
Members
159 posts
9,341 battles
27 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I don't even remember the Jelicoe captain but check your Armory. There are quite a few unique captains there available for doubloons and coal. Be careful if you buy one of the Pan Asian captains. In my Armory he was priced in doubloons but when I bought him, the confirmation said coal and I lost 35k coal and not the 1500 doubloons I intended. Support told me that without a screen grab of a potential purchase showing this, there was nothing they could do....... 

There are 2 of them and look similar :Smile_hiding:  one is for coal and the other doubloons ...you picked the wrong one, but they both have the same abilities. 

[TAZ]
Members
879 posts
52 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

1 hour ago, Toxygene said:

You have downloaded the Historical Commanders, part of Aslain's modpack or the WG modpack.  For the UK the Dunkirk brothers have become Jellicoe and Sommerville; for the USN the Doe brothers are Issac Kidd and Charles Lockwood. Halsey has become Nimitz.  For the KMS the Jutland brothers have become Reinhart Scheer and Max von Spee, Lutjens has become Franz von Hipper

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,665 posts
25,149 battles
33 minutes ago, Otago_F111 said:

There are 2 of them and look similar :Smile_hiding:  one is for coal and the other doubloons ...you picked the wrong one, but they both have the same abilities. 

Yes I have been told this several times, thank you. However in my Armory the last Pan Asian captain available (I had one) was priced in doubloons but I was charged coal, hence my warning to other players to check so they wouldn't get burned like I did. 

[O2]
Members
457 posts
10,034 battles
14 minutes ago, Nutaz said:

You have downloaded the Historical Commanders,

You are correct and have solved the mystery! Thanks.

[SALVO]
Members
7,012 posts
5,525 battles
14 minutes ago, Nutaz said:

You have downloaded the Historical Commanders, part of Aslain's modpack or the WG modpack.  For the UK the Dunkirk brothers have become Jellicoe and Sommerville; for the USN the Doe brothers are Issac Kidd and Charles Lockwood. Halsey has become Nimitz.  For the KMS the Jutland brothers have become Reinhart Scheer and Max von Spee, Lutjens has become Franz von Hipper

What's the point of changing Halsey for Nimitz and Lutjens for Hipper? :cap_hmm:... 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,665 posts
25,149 battles
5 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

What's the point of changing Halsey for Nimitz and Lutjens for Hipper? :cap_hmm:... 

Yeah can't figure that out either. Seems a silly change unless you just really want a Nimitz and Hipper named captain. I am assuming those will eventually make it into the game anyway. 

[TAZ]
Members
879 posts
2 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I have NO idea, but the creator change all of the national special commanders, as I said Halsey became Nimitz, Lutjens became Hipper, Auboyneau became some French captain (did not pay attention), Yamamato, Swiski and Cunninghan have different images.  I do not know how to contact the creator to ask to restore Halsey, Auboyneau and Lutjens 

[SALVO]
Members
7,012 posts
5,525 battles
6 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Yeah can't figure that out either. Seems a silly change unless you just really want a Nimitz and Hipper named captain. I am assuming those will eventually make it into the game anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Nutaz said:

I have NO idea, but the creator change all of the national special commanders, as I said Halsey became Nimitz, Lutjens became Hipper, Auboyneau became some French captain (did not pay attention), Yamamato, Swiski and Cunninghan have different images.  I do not know how to contact the creator to ask to restore Halsey, Auboyneau and Lutjens 

Well, I can only guess the guy is not a fan of those... Lutjens was defeated and the world wonders where Halsey went... I can't think of anything too bad about Yamamoto and Cunninghan but that maybe the creator is too salty about CVs to include them. The french and the pole I don't really know to guess why.

Edited by ArIskandir

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,159 posts
11,302 battles

I could never get the names to change with the mod for some reason, only the images. Either way, once the creator decided to change Halsey and Lutjens out, I decided I wasn't even going to try using the mod at all.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,575 posts
11,067 battles
26 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Well, I can only guess the guy is not a fan of those... Lutjens was defeated and the world wonders where Halsey went...

It’s a common misconception that Nimitz intended these scathing words for Halsey during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. The inclusion of these words in the message was actually the result of an error by the cryptographers who decoded the message. Meaningless phrases were added to the beginning and end of encoded messages at the time to mask easily recognizable patterns and make efforts by enemy intelligent services to crack the code more difficult.

The actual text of the message relayed to Halsey’s force was:

TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM THIRD FLEET INFO COMINCH CTF SEVENTY-SEVEN X WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE THIRTY FOUR RR THE WORLD WONDERS

The underlined portions are security padding that should have been removed from the message, but the latter one at the end of the message was mistakenly retained. However, Halsey did interpret the message as sarcastic criticism of his command choices, rather than a simple request for information, and as a result ceased his pursuit of the Japanese decoy force, but that was because he had no way of knowing at the time that it wasn’t part of the actual message when it was delivered to him.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
7,012 posts
5,525 battles
5 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

It’s a common misconception that Nimitz intended these scathing words for Halsey during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. The inclusion of these words in the message was actually the result of an error by the cryptographers who decoded the message. Meaningless phrases were added to the beginning and end of encoded messages at the time to mask easily recognizable patterns and make efforts by enemy intelligent services to crack the code more difficult.

The actual text of the message relayed to Halsey’s force was:

TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM THIRD FLEET INFO COMINCH CTF SEVENTY-SEVEN X WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE THIRTY FOUR RR THE WORLD WONDERS

The underlined portions are security padding that should have been removed from the message, but the latter one at the end of the message was mistakenly retained. However, Halsey did interpret the message as sarcastic criticism of his command choices, rather than a simple request for information, and as a result ceased his pursuit of the Japanese decoy force, but that’s because he had no way of knowing at the time that it wasn’t part of the actual message.

hahahaha... interesting story, funny one too. I can't blame Halsey, it really reads like sarcasm. Makes you think if was really that innocent coincidence of words, or was some troll clerk having fun.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,575 posts
11,067 battles
23 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

hahahaha... interesting story, funny one too. I can't blame Halsey, it really reads like sarcasm. Makes you think if was really that innocent coincidence of words, or was some troll clerk having fun.

Nimitz’s clerk claimed it was completely coincidental, although in hindsight the phrase was perhaps not as “obviously” irrelevant as protocol dictated it should have been. Nevertheless, the “RR” tag should have been correctly interpreted to indicate the following phrase was security padding and thus should have been removed from the message. Interestingly, the message was properly deciphered on every ship of Task Force 34 except one - USS New Jersey, Halsey’s flagship.

It’s unfortunate that this message caused Halsey to abandon his pursuit of the Japanese decoy force to return to Samar, because his ships arrived too late to affect the outcome of that action anyways. Halsey’s battleships (Washington, Alabama, Iowa, and New Jersey) were almost within range of the Northern Force at the time, and history was denied the prospect of Iowa-class battleships performing the mission they were built for by engaging enemy capital ships - in this case the converted aviation battleships Ise and Hyuga.

Sign in to follow this