You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

A Tale of Two BBs

5 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
6,171 posts
19,033 battles

Wondered for a while why Iowa is (according to shipstats) the worst T9 BB while its sister Missouri is second only to the T9.6  Musashi.

Missouri has radar but that can't account for all of it. Is it strictly the quality of players? Only long time players actually have the ship while Iowa is crewed by all those grinding their way thru to Montana. 

Or does Missouri have some other benefits (not including earnings enhancements).

Unfortunately way back when I didn't have the million FXP to get her.

Also sad when arguably one of the best actual BBs of WW2  is not even competitive.

[GRETA]
Members
1,378 posts
10,609 battles

Actually Missouri is not that strong compared to other T9 premiums and Iowa is not really all that bad.  I do think you are onto something regarding who has and plays those ships though.   USN BB was the first line I played and admittedly had no clue what I was doing up through the Montana.   As I started to figure it out and find my style I found premium ships that were more to my liking.   As a result I never really went back to play North Carolina,  Iowa or Montana after I finally got a clue as to what I was doing.  

I am sure there are more people a lot like me who got their Missouri (for me it was Georgia) and never looked back.  That in itself will skew the performance stats of a ship even only looking at a single player.

[VORTX]
Members
584 posts
7,678 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Wondered for a while why Iowa is (according to shipstats) the worst T9 BB while its sister Missouri is second only to the T9.6  Musashi.

Missouri has radar but that can't account for all of it. Is it strictly the quality of players? Only long time players actually have the ship while Iowa is crewed by all those grinding their way thru to Montana. 

Or does Missouri have some other benefits (not including earnings enhancements).

Unfortunately way back when I didn't have the million FXP to get her.

Also sad when arguably one of the best actual BBs of WW2  is not even competitive.

Some ships just seem to be doomed to crapmatchmaking. My own Iowa seems to be the benifactor if this right now. I’m at a 25% win rate despite better stats than most of my other T9 (only JB is stronger statistically). Sometimes you just can’t win. There is unfortunately a lot more luck built into this game than we like and / or care to admit. 

*edit* 

I realize I misread your commentary. I thought it was about your personal experience with the ships. 

anyways. I think the above comment about “who” actually had the ships is accurate. Players that have Mo have been playing for a while or got insanely lucky with crates. More experienced players overall than Iowa. 

in the current meta I’m actually loving my Iowa. Very fast, 27k range and 12 point something conceal. Combined with a dead eye / survival build it’s a lot of fun. Yes I still push in and flank when appropriate and I don’t just chill at spawn. At the moment it’s one of my favorite T9 BBS second to maybe JB or Georgia. 

Edited by Pirate_Named_Sue

Members
367 posts
7,570 battles

First, radar makes hella difference since it keeps back DDs which are the bane of BBs.

Second keep in mind that since people are grinding through Iowa many are playing not fully upgraded or used to the ship in general so there is a bit of a learning curve while people who have the mighty money have learned how to use it by now.

[GC]
Alpha Tester
916 posts
4,361 battles

Iowa used to be clearly inferior to Missouri but has received numerous buffs over the years, while Missouri has both been power-crept and indirectly nerfed by the radar change, as well as being stuck with the legacy USN heal. Iowa is one of the better tech tree battleships at tier 9, these days. It's vastly superior to the likes of Lion and FdG, while being roughly on par with Sovetskiy Soyuz and Izumo. Only Alsace is head-and-shoulders better.

--Helms