You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MannyD_of_The_Sea

Is Anyone Else Holding Off on Making 21-Point Captains?

87 comments in this topic

[A-I-M]
Members
3,871 posts
14,894 battles

When 0.10.0 hit, I had enough ECXP on hand to promote 4 19-point captains to 21-pointers. So far, I have promoted only one.

Is anyone else holding back as well?

I figure that even if WG does a major tweak to the skills, that there won’t be any givebacks on points we’ve already committed to captains, so, I’m noncommittal with my points right now.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
8,141 posts
13,187 battles

I don't have the Free-XP, let alone the CXP to do so.
Among my Commanders, the highest skill-point totals are 17.  I have a handful of those.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
11,810 posts
10,962 battles

I had 3 19s before 0.10, and have 3 21s now.

But playing coop I basically spec for missions.  So I have a tank build (JB) for PD missions, Secondary (Georgia) for hit missions, and whatever the hell my Yoshino is for.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
12 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

When 0.10.0 hit, I had enough ECXP on hand to promote 4 19-point captains to 21-pointers. So far, I have promoted only one.

I figure that even if WG does a major tweak to the skills, that there won’t be any givebacks on points we’ve already committed to captains, so, I’m noncommittal with my points right now.

I was thinking of doing so but in the end decided to buff the legendary captains since they have extra buffs and can now serve on every premium ship. So i buffed yamato, halsey, and cunningham - he took more than i was planning because he was at like 14 pts or so. I figured it was worth it to buff him rather than 2 generic commanders since now i can deadeye spam HE in my thunderer! Next target is jersky and i’m seriously debating buying lutjens for the pommern. This means of course i’m now broke for ecxp but at least i have most of my premium ships covered and should mainly be playing only those.

what skills to take on the other hand is far less certain and i might have to reset prior to the patch just to be safe.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,321 posts
13,178 battles

free xp, coal and RB points give a choice of what you can buy, the choices on what to buy with captain XP are limited. holding back is less than optimal. it seems more strategic to promote 1 captain per country and bounce those captains across all the premium ships to learn the captains skills with a 21-ptr. 

Edited by skillztowin
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
13,429 posts
28,176 battles
25 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I could have done 7 to 21 of the 54 19's I had but only did 5 and one of those I wish now I hadn't (was tired and not really thinking it through).

Honestly just didn't seem worth it as for so many Captains 21 is worse than 19 was OR I struggled to even use the 19 so why bother with 21. So I did a few for my most played ships and then didn't bother with the rest. I have used a little here and there (maybe 200K or so) on some lower pt Captains to raise them up if needed for an extra pt but that is it.

The Capt system we had that was so good is gone. What we have now we have to deal with and is crap (mostly).

I no longer worry about Capt's. Just not worth the time, flags, camo, real money(Doubloons), etc... anymore.

• Cool 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,322 posts
10,021 battles

I'm holding off indefinitely, I don't have the spare captains, credits, or dubs to do conversions, so my 8 19-pointers will probably not get much past 20 by the time I give up the game.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

I had 5 19 pointers before the update ... I now have 4 19s, 1 20 (from Ranked play), and all my saved ECXP plus some extra ...

I spent some as I normally would to top a 9 pointer to 10, or a 13 to 14, etc .... but decided I'm not "wasting" it all just to hurry and get a captain to 21 points ... when I'm not even sure I'll use them all ... and I'm probably playing less than half the time I did before the change.

• Cool 1

[K-POP]
Members
4,851 posts
13,468 battles

I had enough ecxp stockpiled at the start of the patch to bring two commanders from 19 to 21 points, and I did so (Halsey and Yamamoto, since they had the most premium ship coverage by far). Between clan brawls and the occasional random in those 21 point ships in between normal tech tree grinding for snowflakes, I’ve gotten enough to bump a third up already, but I’m leaning toward not spending it for now.

The two I have give me enough coverage for any mode with tech tree and premium ships, and the higher retraining cost for 21 pointers compared to 19 pointers means I’d rather hold off promoting a commander until he gets to his destination ship. And on top of that, I’d prefer to wait and see how the meta shifts over the next few months, and then weigh my 19 point commanders based on that as well in terms of expected use. 

• Cool 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,539 posts
22,332 battles

Only upgraded Halsey, and is the only captain I have with skills assigned.

Have FCXP for getting 3 more captains to 21.

Will reset Halsey before 10.1 and won't use skills for the next 6 months or so.

Will keep my captains with NO SKILLS for a while. Already been [edited] during the CV rework when skills (AA mainly)shifted from patch to patch.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,361 posts
10,483 battles

I too am holding off. I have enough EXP to upgrade four more 19-Point Captains, but found that I really only need a few Unique 21-Point Commanders to helm the (mainly premium) ships that I routinely play (and enjoy).....

[--K--]
Supertester
1,487 posts
14,249 battles

Used a horde of special flags and camos during t8 clan brawls to bring 2 ships to 21 points, Halsey and just a normal British commander. Currently have the elite commander xp to make 7 maxed out but not in a rush atm. Will try to make another with just a grind during the t10 clan brawl running Wed-Sun. 

My general plan is to get one 21 pt for each nation but wait for changes before I commit that commander xp. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,665 posts
25,152 battles
26 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I could have done 7 to 21 of the 54 19's I had but only did 5 and one of those I wish now I hadn't (was tired and not really thinking it through).

Honestly just didn't seem worth it as for so many Captains 21 is worse than 19 was OR I struggled to even use the 19 so why bother with 21. So I did a few for my most played ships and then didn't bother with the rest. I have used a little here and there (maybe 200K or so) on some lower pt Captains to raise them up if needed for an extra pt but that is it.

The Capt system we had that was so good is gone. What we have now we have to deal with and is crap (mostly).

I no longer worry about Capt's. Just not worth the time, flags, camo, real money(Doubloons), etc... anymore.

My thinking is different. I see little point to normal captains any more and will be using only my legendary/special captains since I can spec them for all types of ships. I plan on bumping all of them to 21 points, not because of the fancy skills, but only to farm ECXP. My plan is to have a 21 pointer for every major nation and only use him to play with. Everyone and everything else gets ignored save the handful of ships I am still grinding up and I should be done with those in a few months since "grind" for me just means farming a first win every day and moving on. After that, I see zero point in tech tree grinding beyond tier 8 for most ship types. Tech tree ship grinding at the upper tiers is just dead to me. Too expensive to play, just a huge time sink, and honestly it just isn't any more fun than the lower/mid tiers. It is all so pointless. 

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,385 posts
12,287 battles
1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I am. The cost isn't worth burning all of my FXP. I'll get there naturally. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
13,429 posts
28,176 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

My thinking is different. I see little point to normal captains any more and will be using only my legendary/special captains since I can spec them for all types of ships. I plan on bumping all of them to 21 points, not because of the fancy skills, but only to farm ECXP. My plan is to have a 21 pointer for every major nation and only use him to play with. Everyone and everything else gets ignored save the handful of ships I am still grinding up and I should be done with those in a few months since "grind" for me just means farming a first win every day and moving on. After that, I see zero point in tech tree grinding beyond tier 8 for most ship types. Tech tree ship grinding at the upper tiers is just dead to me. Too expensive to play, just a huge time sink, and honestly it just isn't any more fun than the lower/mid tiers. It is all so pointless. 

I did Yamamoto, Kuznetsov, Lütjens, and Halsey to 21 as I can use them on so many different ships. I accidentally did my BRN DD Capt (BRN Dasha) to 21 as well. So those are my 5. I use them (the 4 anyway) a lot so it made sense.

Unlike you I am not giving up all the hard work and effort put into getting all the tech tree ships in game nor the remaining 19pt Capt's (49) I have for them. I actually play a lot of tech tree ships too and have the Captains for them. Not paying WG for the "privilege" of selling them either.

So I won't give up on all that time put into getting those things but I won't reward WG and go back and intentionally grind again and most definitely I will not invest in flags and camos for real $$$, nor to convert XP into FXP to use, either. The Captains will just have to advance through normal play.

WG really just has no clue. Their big plan to get players to grind more and to spend money is backfiring. They are just driving players off or making them lose interest in stuff. 

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 2

[PVE]
Members
13,429 posts
28,176 battles
8 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

I am. The cost isn't worth burning all of my FXP. I'll get there naturally. 

OP was talking about Elite Captain XP specifically not FXP. You can use both of course but just pointing out he meant ECXP.

[CDOH]
Members
790 posts
8,253 battles

The only class that i see really benefit from a 21 point commander is DDS with heal.  Allows my daring to have a 3rd heal, Surviaviablity expert, BFT, radio ETC. 

[PVE]
Members
5,101 posts
22,592 battles
1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I had enough ECXP for four immediately (Japan, France, England and Russia).  Added Germany since I was very close.  Five and that's it for the foreseeable future.  The US has three 19 pointers and I'll focus on Halsey.  That grind will take the rest of this year.  

I am not playing very many TT ships anymore.  So, I start at tier 10 everyday I play and use the same 4 CPT's over and over.  The seven TT ships with 19 pointers get played as well.  That's it.  When Narai comes around, I have several 19 pointers for those Scenario efforts where I Division with non-Clan friends of mine......  

Back to F2P for me.  235 days of PT left.  I gave our host a chance to convince me that spending resources to make events easier was the way to go.  Our host has convinced me that attempt was ill conceived and stupid.  I'm just saying "no..." to them.  I'll play this Italian event for free stuff and that's it.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,349 posts
19,362 battles

I have 21 on the ones where I needed them.  I'm running a 21 Lutz and Halsey.   20 on a few others.  My collection of 19 elsewhere.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,871 posts
14,894 battles
14 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

OP was talking about Elite Captain XP specifically not FXP. You can use both of course but just pointing out he meant ECXP.

Yeah, FXP just builds too slow for me to sink into captain skills.

[BEARS]
[BEARS]
Beta Testers
304 posts
8,933 battles

Haven't brought any up to 21 yet.  I have 12 each 19 point captains, enough xp to bring 2 up to 21 pt.  My first choice would to be bring up the EU captain (cannot remember how to spell the last name...Jerry something), but I don't have him and will have to wait until it or another is available.  Work makes play possible and sometimes interferes with it.

[PVE]
Members
1,144 posts
9,607 battles

I got 2 up to 21 points out of a possible 3.  Only cost me about 40,000,000 silver :Smile-angry:. I suppose I don't need to be grinding any lines anyway.

I have some 12-15 point commanders laying around unused that I would need to eat to make that 3rd one happen though and I don't see a point in doing that yet.

Those 2 21-point captains drive 4 ships in my normal rotation so I think I am good, the fact that I had 7 ships with 19 point commanders in my normal rotation before the rebork notwithstanding...

I didn't and won't spend any FXP. This rebork has cost me enough already.

Edited by MasterDiggs

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

There just aren't really 21 points of skills worth taking, when it comes to many ships. 

The only reason to spend existing ECXP to bring a captain up to 21 points is that the captain would then start generating more ECXP.  

I have enough ECXP sitting around to advance one captain from 19 to 21, but after that I wouldn't waste a single credit or doubloon on the Soylent Green process.  

:Smile_sceptic:

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
13,429 posts
28,176 battles
22 minutes ago, Kraayt said:

Haven't brought any up to 21 yet.  I have 12 each 19 point captains, enough xp to bring 2 up to 21 pt.  My first choice would to be bring up the EU captain (cannot remember how to spell the last name...Jerry something), but I don't have him and will have to wait until it or another is available.  Work makes play possible and sometimes interferes with it.

LOL :Smile_veryhappy:

It's Jerzy Swirski

IF you can't remember that one what do you call the one that sound like someone is freezing cold and their teeth are chattering while trying to say Greg Brady... :fish_nerv: (and I thought my Sister's married last name was hard to learn/remember = Kratkiewicz LOL)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Haha 1