You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

How It Works: Hit Points

31 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,585 posts
15,107 battles

In this updated episode, we'll tell you how our ships are structured and how the damage-dealing mechanics work.

Read it on the portal

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
5,805 posts
7,013 battles

Pretty informative video; what this video also highlights is the need for HP values of separate ship sections to be part of the armor view in port. This kind of information could prove very helpful to newbs and veterans alike.

• Cool 1

[FFLY]
Beta Testers
73 posts
1 hour ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

In the new episode, we'll tell you how our ships are structured and how the damage-dealing mechanics work.

Read it on the portal

isn 't this video a little late?

The game has been out almost 6 years?

Oh yes it is the CC's on utube covered this years ago lol

Edited by Crazy_08

[ARMOR]
Members
136 posts
13,965 battles
30 minutes ago, Crazy_08 said:

isn 't this video a little late the game has been out almost 6 years?  Oh yes it is the CC's on utube covered this years ago lol

This video was also released before. It's a two almost three year old video that the original is now "unlisted" on youtube.

The old video is 30 seconds longer, don't know what they cut out or changed. It appears they just edited the intro - some comments were dropped, the colors in the armor viewer have changed and the new intro features a Petropavlovsk hitting citadels for... reasons.

Edited by Kemi337
update age of video, comments
  • Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[FFLY]
Beta Testers
73 posts
8 minutes ago, Kemi337 said:

Yeah it's a two year old video that the original is now "unlisted" on youtube.

The old video is 30 seconds longer, don't know what they cut out or changed.

from three years ago

[ARMOR]
Members
136 posts
13,965 battles
Just now, Crazy_08 said:

from three years ago

Yeah I am not talking about CCs covering the same topic. WG literally released this video almost three years ago.

[FFLY]
Beta Testers
73 posts
3 minutes ago, Kemi337 said:

Yeah I am not talking about CCs covering the same topic. WG literally released this video almost three years ago.

Your not shocked by this are you?

WG using copy and paste to deal with everything?

making videos on how the  game works years after its been released is just lazy

Edited by Crazy_08

[ARMOR]
Members
136 posts
13,965 battles
2 minutes ago, Crazy_08 said:

Your not shocked by this are you?

WG using copy and paste to deal with everything?

Of course not. I understand there are players who may not have been around when this was last released, so this may be helpful for them - but pretending its a "new" episode is just silly.

[FFLY]
Beta Testers
73 posts
Just now, Kemi337 said:

Of course not. I understand there are players who may not have been around when this was last released, so this may be helpful for them - but pretending its a "new" episode is just silly.

So true

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,731 posts
21,163 battles

Can you make a new "How it works" for map spawning? I would like to know the WG game mechanics behind opening spawn selection before the battle starts. For example, Why are ship map spawns are so close to other team mates? Such as either AFK players or poor turn radius interfering with opening moves. Why are all radar ships on one side of the map for the team on spawn instead of balanced on the map for spawn? Why are DD's, CA's, or BB's not balanced on deployment? It appears they are all slanted in their deployment instead of spread out on the map for spawn deployment.

• Cool 1

[FFLY]
Beta Testers
73 posts
2 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 said:

Can you make a new "How it works" for map spawning? I would like to know the WG game mechanics behind opening spawn selection before the battle starts. For example, Why are ship map spawns are so close to other team mates? Such as either AFK players or poor turn radius interfering with opening moves. Why are all radar ships on one side of the map for the team on spawn instead of balanced on the map for spawn? Why are DD's, CA's, or BB's not balanced on deployment? It appears they are all slanted in their deployment instead of spread out on the map for spawn deployment.

RNG  WG bases everything off that

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,742 posts
21,830 battles

For those who couldn't be bothered to actually look: This version is significantly revised for clarity in several portions. You can sort of tell which, because they combined parts of the old voiceover with the lower-pitch voice with additional lines re-recorded by the VA with the higher voice. He was in the old one as well, but I think most or all of the revised lines are with him.

The biggest content change, I think, is the old version as I remember it was so old it included full saturation where you literally couldn't damage a part anymore. That was removed from the game a year or so ago, when a minimum damage was added even after the section and hull pool were zeroed out.

Other than that, the biggest changes AFAIK are in the on-screen illustrations, which use a more pictoral form of illustration than the old "bar" visualization.

Edited by Edgecase
  • Thanks 1

[FFLY]
Beta Testers
73 posts
7 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

For those who couldn't be bothered to actually look: This version is significantly revised for clarity in several portions. You can sort of tell which, because they combined parts of the old voiceover with the lower-pitch voice with additional lines re-recorded by the VA with the higher voice. He was in the old one as well, but I think most or all of the revised lines are with him.

The biggest content change, I think, is the old version as I remember it was so old it included full saturation where you literally couldn't damage a part anymore. That was removed from the game a year or so ago, when a minimum damage was added even after the section and hull pool were zeroed out.

Other than that, the biggest changes AFAIK are in the on-screen illustrations, which use a more pictoral form of illustration than the old "bar" visualization.

Blah blah  its still a doctored old video of something that should be posted on the website at or dang near the release date of the game

Not years after the fact

Edited by Crazy_08
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[WG]
4,585 posts
15,107 battles
5 minutes ago, Crazy_08 said:

Blah blah  its still a doctored old video of something that should be posted on the website at or dang near the release date of the game

Not years after the fact

So this is some sort of "scandal" to you? What is wrong with bumping old how to videos if that was the case? New players that haven't seen the video can benefit from one being bumped?

As for this video, it is quite different than the old. And still beneficial. If something is still factual, it is included, if it is not, it has been removed or updated.

If you don't like the videos, don't watch them, simple as that, doesn't mean they won't help someone else.

-Hapa

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,742 posts
21,830 battles
8 minutes ago, Crazy_08 said:

Not years after the fact

Are you seriously complaining that they're spending time and money to update their documentation? Short of a time machine, that's the best you can ask for from anyone.

• Funny 2
  • Thanks 1

[FFLY]
Beta Testers
73 posts
25 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

So this is some sort of "scandal" to you? What is wrong with bumping old how to videos if that was the case? New players that haven't seen the video can benefit from one being bumped?

As for this video, it is quite different than the old. And still beneficial. If something is still factual, it is included, if it is not, it has been removed or updated.

If you don't like the videos, don't watch them, simple as that, doesn't mean they won't help someone else.

-Hapa

scandal? lmbo your funny

why isn t this all posted on the website and updated often?

Edited by Crazy_08
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 1

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,981 posts
8,969 battles
Just now, Crazy_08 said:

scandal? lmbo your funny

Dude, stop, you're being toxic. They are literally starting to update info, and this video seems like the first step. Just stop complaining and being negative because you look really silly. Reposted or not, modified or not, WG is trying to inform people of how the game works. 

The semantics of the matter mean nothing, stop trying to shoehorn them in. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WG]
4,585 posts
15,107 battles
2 minutes ago, Crazy_08 said:

scandal? lmbo your funny

Not sure what you mean by "updated often" but there have been major changes in the past 6 mo, so this is why the video was updated changed and released.

Members
10 posts
12,364 battles

I really think these videos are excellent value for the player base who want to improve their game play and performance. Sadly I believe the majority though, especially the casual player base or weekend players could not give two hoots about this information. None the less I look forward to new or updated episodes in this series.

• Thanks 1

[D-H-O]
-Members-
65 posts
623 battles
3 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

In this updated episode, we'll tell you how our ships are structured and how the damage-dealing mechanics work.

Read it on the portal

Awesome video, also like @Edgecase said, quite different from the old one.... People forget that the new player experience recommends a lot of these videos as you play now, so it is actually really good to have these up to date. Even if the video was a bump it is a good thing, but this is effectively quite different than the original.

• Cool 1

[FFLY]
Beta Testers
73 posts
5 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Not sure what you mean by "updated often" but there have been major changes in the past 6 mo, so this is why the video was updated changed and released.

yes alot of changes have happened in the last 6 months

but the other 18 months had nothing new so no need to update the video?

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,407 posts
10,647 battles
3 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Read it on the portal

People need to watch this video if anything to see why the game is so absurdly messed up and arcade-like. 

Simple fact that destroyers firing HE at a superstructure of a battleship can sink/destroy it is because of this failure of design. Its so easy to exploit that you can abuse the mechanics to give your team easy wins, particularly in ranked and clan wars. How? Just have a BB hit a red BB with AP in the lower hull ..be it center/fore/aft...not citadel (thought a citadel hit works even better) for roughly 5000 damage total and then switch to another target and repeat. Once a target has been hit once by BB AP anywhere but superstructure  is done, the cruisers and destroyers can HE spam the entire remaining hitpoints of the ship to sink it by hitting the superstructure... it will not damage saturate before the ship explodes. 

Superstructure should not count at all towards the health pool of the ship. It should be treated as an external component like main turrets are. It would have it own health pool (invisible) and just like main turrets it should be able to be knocked out or eventually destroyed... and rather than deduct HP from the ship's health pool it should instead DEBUFF the ship with a penalty. 

Like... if knocked out or destroyed ship ceases to send and receive team spotting data. Damage control will recover the superstructure from 'knocked out' to 'functional' at the end of the damage control action timer. 

Citadels should also stop being damage pinhatas. Its what kills the mobility of cruisers and makes them hug islands. Citadels should just grant a bit more damage per hit than a regular pen (+20%?) and DEBUFF the ship's engine power for 1 minute and have up to 4 citadel timers active at any one time. If a hit is received to citadel while there are 4 citadel timers active then it will reset the lowest timer back to full. Debuff is not cleaned out by damage control nor repair... one has to wait the timer out. 

Fires should do half the damage per tick they do now (and superstructure fires only eat away the superstructure's health pool not the ship's health pool)... and they should also debuff. Each ship can have up to 4 fires max..each fire should increase main gun dispersion by 5% while fire is active. 

With these changes alone the HE spam meta ceases and cruisers are freed from island hugging and able to use their speed and maneuverability as part of their arsenal. 

Destroyers will not be able to burn down or HE down a cruiser or battleship with their guns but instead use torpedoes. Gunboat DDs using AP can damage some cruisers and pen bow/aft of some BBs. Cruisers can use their maneuverability and speed to close the range with BB's where their AP (or torpedoes if so equipped) can be brought to effective use. Battleships are potent gun platforms but no longer have damage pinhata points vs any other ship... it is now a gunnery and movement/positioning challenge. 

Debuffing a target ship makes it easier to take down by yourself or another team member. Citadel hits makes ship slower to move and turn, fires makes enemy return fire more inaccurate. Superstructure wrecking blinds enemy ships to team spotting benefits. 

Teamwork makes the difference this way. The current meta only encourages and rewards yolo damage output or hide-behind-island-or-snipe-from-afar DPS. 

• Cool 1

[FFLY]
Beta Testers
73 posts

For Happa

For someone that has been here since the start

The lack of updates on how this game works  gets under my skin

it seems to me that WG only updates them when its a lack of options

Just my 2 cents I'm out

Edited by Crazy_08
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,742 posts
21,830 battles
3 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

People need to watch this video if anything to see why the game is so absurdly messed up and arcade-like.

I suspect simplifications like this had to be made in order to make other parts of the game work at all. Without superstructure damage, smaller ships would have few ways to fight larger ones outside yolo torpedo runs -- largely true in RL, but very bad for a PvP game with players in both ships. Similarly, tying superstructure (and other) damage to performance degradation is something other sims do, but those games are really not action game-paced.

At some point, designers at Lesta/WG decided to make those trade-offs, and here we are today. I'm pretty confident they're happy with them too, as changes within the last year or so actually strengthened superstructure and bow/aft hits to continue doing damage after the sections and hull were both depleted. So it seems clear, at least to me, that the current mechanics are intentional. And I agree they can be counterintuitive, so it's important that they get information out to people, as with these videos.

• Cool 1