Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Corsair_I

Remove detonation for CV torpedoes

54 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Beta Testers
610 posts
22,053 battles

Compared to a DD, it is much easier for a CV to land torpedoes on their target. We should not reward them with random detonations that adds a significant bonus. Detonation is already a stupid game mechanic that relies purely on RNG. But, when it comes from a CV torp, it is even more unfair to the targeted ship.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 4

Members
420 posts
7,724 battles

To be honest I don't think I have ever been detonated from a CV's torpedo. Not even once. And I've been hit by those buggers far more than I've ever been struck by a dd's torps. Are you sure that they can?

[SALVO]
Beta Testers
610 posts
22,053 battles
1 minute ago, Terkoz said:

To be honest I don't think I have ever been detonated from a CV's torpedo. Not even once. And I've been hit by those buggers far more than I've ever been struck by a dd's torps. Are you sure that they can?

Positive, I have been detonated in a Montana few weeks ago and just tonight, I got detonated again in a West Virginia.

[PVE]
Members
10,927 posts
18,924 battles

CV torps are like small mosquito bites, malaria kills more people than detonations, it's OK.

Members
4,117 posts
44,174 battles

I have detonated a few ships with CV torps in Randoms. Yes, yes, guilty as charged. I also did it with bombs. Maybe a few times with rockets. And that one time I just said Je t'aime to a DM and it just exploded. 

But it is part of the game mechanics. WG says it is just fine. Working as intended. Well, the DM one is a bit dubious. 

As far as I know, it is so rare the detonation to occur, that it is akin to a dramatic event.

Like a Random game and I suddenly drop torps, hit a Yammy and like a Photon torpedo, the yammy explodes in a huge fireball ring with wreckage that pushes the rest of the ships aside. 

Even Lord Zath is still looking for that Holy Grail of a Torpedo drop: , Yamato takes the hit, explodes like the Death Star, wreckage rips open and she rolls over onto a DD nearby. The DD gets crushed, explodes too. Red team calls CV OP, complains unfair drop and damage. Video evidence seen by all on a later episode. 

It would be great if detonations occur more often, but they are so rare. The Juliet flag pretty much prevents it. Don't put it on, become famous.

• Funny 1

Members
682 posts
220 battles

God (or in this case WG) give out Det flags for this reason.  Only 1 person is at fault if these are not used.

[SALVO]
Beta Testers
610 posts
22,053 battles
7 hours ago, Laser_Beam said:

God (or in this case WG) give out Det flags for this reason.  Only 1 person is at fault if these are not used.

what you said is only true if those flags are free...

[CO-OP]
Members
2,849 posts
28,463 battles

Detonations are pretty rare.  Detonations from CV torps are extremely rare, since you can easily avoid them (sometimes you choose not to avoid them, if the alternative is giving a broadside shot to a red bot.)  I don't see this as a real problem.  On the rare occasion that I get detonated, I chalk it up to RNG and move on. 

On a related subject, I believe that CVs should be subject to the same detonation rolls as the rest of us.

Edited by HamptonRoads

[-GPS-]
Members
2,929 posts
38,346 battles
1 hour ago, HamptonRoads said:

Detonations are pretty rare.  Detonations from CV torps are extremely rare, since you can easily avoid them (sometimes you choose not to avoid them, if the alternative is giving a broadside shot to a red bot.)  I don't see this as a real problem.  On the rare occasion that I get detonated, I chalk it up to RNG and move on. 

On a related subject, I believe that CVs should be subject to the same detonation rolls as the rest of us.

1) it seems like detonations of BBs by CV torps are more frequent after the last patch.  I play CV more than BB, but had my Thunderer (?) blown out from under my by a CV torp and have detonated at least 1 BB myself (think it's 2) since the update.

2) yes, CVs should be subject to detonation.  They also should have damage control and repair parties the player must utilize.

Members
682 posts
220 battles
5 hours ago, Corsair_I said:

what you said is only true if those flags are free...

They can be free.

[SALVO]
Beta Testers
610 posts
22,053 battles
9 minutes ago, Laser_Beam said:

They can be free.

Even if you use 2 million credits for 20 flags, I don't call it free.

It makes sense to use those flags on a DD but it makes no economical sense to use them on BBs because it happens every blue moon. However, I have been in situations where I'm the only decent player of the team or one of the rare decent players of the team and suddenly, now, the team lose one of its main assets due to pure RNG.

Suffice to say, the team lost.

[SALVO]
Beta Testers
610 posts
22,053 battles
3 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

I got as many detonations from CVs as I got from DDs, because I can avoid getting torps by DDs, but I cannot avoid getting torped by CVs in a BB.

Members
682 posts
220 battles
2 minutes ago, Corsair_I said:

Even if you use 2 million credits for 20 flags, I don't call it free.

It makes sense to use those flags on a DD but it makes no economical sense to use them on BBs because it happens every blue moon. However, I have been in situations where I'm the only decent player of the team or one of the rare decent players of the team and suddenly, now, the team lose one of its main assets due to pure RNG.

Suffice to say, the team lost.

Eh?  Det flags are in the daily boxes.

They are in super containers (rare as they are)  

WG events that give away boxes for free, can have det flags (Journey to the west, dockyard events, etc )

Play the test server for rewards

Hapa_Fodder did a weekly contest for ships and cammo's.  This may have included det flags.

And yes, in my previous comment, I did say these can be free.  Meaning, yes you can also choose to pay for them.    :Smile_great:  

• Meh 1

[KOBK]
Members
394 posts
5,112 battles

Detonation is a random process, its not influenced by the source of the damage as far as i know and no changes to this were published in the patch notes. If you can provide evidence, it may be some bug related to the torpedo armament and should send it via ticket to WG.

By your logic, any gun DD has far more chances to detonate you than a cv since the dd can fire nonstop while cv needs to take off again for each squadron

• Meh 1

[SALVO]
Beta Testers
610 posts
22,053 battles
19 minutes ago, Laser_Beam said:

Eh?  Det flags are in the daily boxes.

They are in super containers (rare as they are)  

WG events that give away boxes for free, can have det flags (Journey to the west, dockyard events, etc )

Play the test server for rewards

Hapa_Fodder did a weekly contest for ships and cammo's.  This may have included det flags.

And yes, in my previous comment, I did say these can be free.  Meaning, yes you can also choose to pay for them.    :Smile_great:  

LOL, you are counting on daily boxes to replenish your stock of flags? Please remind me how many games you need to play in order to have 3 daily containers, how many flags in total you can hope to have and out of all the flags, how many of them are detonation flags....

You are going to spend more flags playing the number of games to get your 3 daily crates compared to the detonation flags you can possibly hope to collect and by far.

• Haha 1

[SALVO]
Beta Testers
610 posts
22,053 battles
28 minutes ago, Nabucodonosor21 said:

Detonation is a random process, its not influenced by the source of the damage as far as i know and no changes to this were published in the patch notes. If you can provide evidence, it may be some bug related to the torpedo armament and should send it via ticket to WG.

By your logic, any gun DD has far more chances to detonate you than a cv since the dd can fire nonstop while cv needs to take off again for each squadron

Not sure who you are addressing your comment to but detonation can only happen if you manage to hit the deepest layer of a ship where ammo is stored. The question is whether a torpedo dropped by planes has enough explosive power to reach the citadel layer of a BB.

[KOBK]
Members
394 posts
5,112 battles
18 minutes ago, Corsair_I said:

Not sure who you are addressing your comment to but detonation can only happen if you manage to hit the deepest layer of a ship where ammo is stored. The question is whether a torpedo dropped by planes has enough explosive power to reach the citadel layer of a BB.

They have all the same amount of explosive power, or at least they should have the same unless some recent update messed up that.

[SALVO]
Beta Testers
610 posts
22,053 battles
5 minutes ago, Nabucodonosor21 said:

They have all the same amount of explosive power, or at least they should have the same unless some recent update messed up that.

A torp coming from planes cannot possibly have the same explosive power as a torpedo coming from a DD. The damage to the targeted ship is a reflection of the damage power. A Shimi torp can do up to 20K damage. The maximum damage of an Audacious torp is 5300. No CV plane can carry the weight of a shimmy torp and still fly.

[KOBK]
Members
394 posts
5,112 battles

Yet neither have direct impact in the detonation formula. If you are talking about real life torpedos, i dont know if they used the same torpedo or if it was modified to be plane carried, but regarding your original question they have no difference.

Ey, if you are talking about being hit by cv torpedos or a dd torpedos, i would be more worried about the 50k aprox damage im gonna take for the DD's torpedos rather than the detonation

Members
682 posts
220 battles
41 minutes ago, Corsair_I said:

LOL, you are counting on daily boxes to replenish your stock of flags? Please remind me how many games you need to play in order to have 3 daily containers, how many flags in total you can hope to have and out of all the flags, how many of them are detonation flags....

You are going to spend more flags playing the number of games to get your 3 daily crates compared to the detonation flags you can possibly hope to collect and by far.

Well, [edited] me sideways with a broom handle.  If you want to use the same flag on every boat in every game of course you won't have enough.  Common Sence, please.  

TBH randoms are just random.  Who really cares if you did or didn't have a flag.  Save the flags you need to CW, CB and events where it matters.

Spoiler

The only flag I ever brought was the hydro/AA flag for CW.  and I still have 9 left.

image.png.267dad214de5b4266307f56416683ceb.png

Edited by Laser_Beam

[SALVO]
Beta Testers
610 posts
22,053 battles
2 minutes ago, Nabucodonosor21 said:

Yet neither have direct impact in the detonation formula. If you are talking about real life torpedos, i dont know if they used the same torpedo or if it was modified to be plane carried, but regarding your original question they have no difference.

Ey, if you are talking about being hit by cv torpedos or a dd torpedos, i would be more worried about the 50k aprox damage im gonna take for the DD's torpedos rather than the detonation

I don't mind being torped by a DD. If they manage to hit me in my BB, good for them. They out play me or they are lucky. I mind when the torp is coming from a CV because I can be torped by CV even I don't do any mistake and they can come from anywhere and at any moment. If a random torp from CV is enough to remove me from the game, it is absurd.

[KOBK]
Members
394 posts
5,112 battles
1 minute ago, Corsair_I said:

I don't mind being torped by a DD. If they manage to hit me in my BB, good for them. They out play me or they are lucky. I mind when the torp is coming from a CV because I can be torped by CV even I don't do any mistake and they can come from anywhere and at any moment. If a random torp from CV is enough to remove me from the game, it is absurd.

The exact same situation comes from the dd is torping you. I dont see any difference. I think you are letting your fear of cvs overtake in your reasoning.

Cv have to outplay you too since if they torp from the front they could miss, a early or late drop can miss too. They cant come from anywhere since theres max 2 cv per battle, and they cant come at any moment since they have to travel from the cv to your current position. I think you are exagerating. And if your fear is too high due to this, i suggest to alway use detonation flags or the equipment for slot 1 wich prevents in 70% aprox detonations

[SALVO]
Beta Testers
610 posts
22,053 battles
4 minutes ago, Laser_Beam said:

Well, [edited] me sideways with a broom handle.  If you want to use the same flag on every boat in every game of course you won't have enough.  Common Sence, please.  

TBH randoms are just random.  Who really cares if you did or didn't have a flag.  Save the flags you need to CW, CB and events where it matters.

well, each time my team loses because someone in my team dies because of a stupid game mechanic, it matters to me, no need to be a CB. I play to win, not to participate.

Members
682 posts
220 battles
1 minute ago, Corsair_I said:

well, each time my team loses because someone in my team dies because of a stupid game mechanic, it matters to me, no need to be a CB. I play to win, not to participate.

We all play to win. 

[SALVO]
Beta Testers
610 posts
22,053 battles
1 minute ago, Nabucodonosor21 said:

The exact same situation comes from the dd is torping you. I dont see any difference. I think you are letting your fear of cvs overtake in your reasoning.

Cv have to outplay you too since if they torp from the front they could miss, a early or late drop can miss too. They cant come from anywhere since theres max 2 cv per battle, and they cant come at any moment since they have to travel from the cv to your current position. I think you are exagerating. And if your fear is too high due to this, i suggest to alway use detonation flags or the equipment for slot 1 wich prevents in 70% aprox detonations

a CV can torp you no matter if you are at the front line, in the back of the map, or behind an island. It is way easier to land torps than in a DD. It takes dozens of seconds for a DD torp to reach its target. You need to foresee what your target is going to do in the next 30 seconds. A CV can just torp next to a BB. The level of difficulties to land torps is night and day.

Sign in to follow this