Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Rawhide

Is Alaska still worth getting after the Commander Nerf?

15 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
1,062 posts

Title says it all.  Not sure whether it's worth getting or I should just wait for new ships to be offered for FXP.   I am a Cruiser main, but this 'rework' is throwing me off.  Thanks.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,555 posts
11,027 battles

If you have the free XP floating around, I would pull the trigger - you might regret it if you don’t. I wouldn’t spend cash, though.

The survivability nerfs to CBs were brutal, but I’m cautiously optimistic that WG will eventually adjust their burn time due to the skill rework. Even just a 45s fire duration like Graf Spee would be a big improvement.

Edited by Nevermore135

[NG-NL]
Members
6,402 posts
10,580 battles

Alaska is definitely still worth it. She is a good credit earner and very difficult to citadel.

I play mine mostly as support cruiser that can radar caps. Doesn't brawl well, but has good enough AA.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,512 posts

Alaska does not close in fight very well. She has a glass Jaw at times.

However when paired or with several teammates in tandem with her radar etc it's absolutely a path to victory.

I recall early on when Alaska was new and would be closing in against my beat up battle wore old warship putt putting around a island or something hoping to see it pass by and get torps or something. I could not fight them very well early on. Now I just treat them as squishies easy to sink but you are probably going to get sunk yourself or exposed by that radar and then sunk.

Alaska is pretty unique and American in her ways of battle. Gets into everything that has weakness. I own a alaska B and have no desire to get the original Alaska but its a good ship when used just so.

[PELTS]
Beta Testers
2,111 posts
28,752 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Title says it all.  Not sure whether it's worth getting or I should just wait for new ships to be offered for FXP.   I am a Cruiser main, but this 'rework' is throwing me off.  Thanks.

Here is a video by Potato Quality, a unicom player from 07, about the Alaska.  He thinks it's still an excellent cruiser.  It's worth watching if you are thinking about getting the AK.

[FORM]
Members
2,206 posts
13,214 battles
58 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Alaska is definitely still worth it. She is a good credit earner and very difficult to citadel.

I play mine mostly as support cruiser that can radar caps. Doesn't brawl well, but has good enough AA.

I'm not sure why really, but since 10.0 she seems to be much easier to citadel. Still not as easy as most ships, and it might just be less experienced captains exposing her citadel, but I've had as many citadel hits on Alaska in the last month than I think I had in the full year prior.

She's still a decent ship though, and if WG actually addresses some of the problems that 10.0 created for super cruisers she can still be a very solid ship again. But as she is now, she's not nearly as good as she was, definitely got nerfed hard by the captain skill change - though that's true of all the super cruisers. 

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles

Few things.

• If you like high tier matches
  • You're good with say American heavy cruisers.
  • Know how to negate DMG like a BB
  • Dont mind the occasional deletion from high caliber ships
  • Love to hunt down cruisers...

The Alaska is the ship for you! Nab her...

If you dont like the points noted above... She is never meant for you...

• Boring 1

Members
207 posts
5,060 battles

Absolutely and unequivocally yes. Alaska is so good that no other tier 9 cruisers can even compare to her. She did not need fire prevention as much as the other super cruisers did due to her amazing concealment. Even your standard Des Moines/Salem captain will do wonders on her. She is absolutely worth both the money and/or the fxp.

On a side note, if you play ranked, I believe alaska to be the best silver league ship. The reason is because you are straight up better than every single other tier 9 cruiser. This means that every ranked game, regardless of player skill, you give your team a statistical advantage. Last season she was my go to ship for ranking out of silver each sprint,;I had a 72% winrate with her.

Members
207 posts
5,060 battles
2 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Alaska does not close in fight very well. She has a glass Jaw at times.

This is just not true. Due to the armour scheme it is really hard to citadel alaska at any range, but especially at close range.

2 hours ago, xHeavy said:

I recall early on when Alaska was new and would be closing in against my beat up battle wore old warship putt putting around a island or something hoping to see it pass by and get torps or something. I could not fight them very well early on. Now I just treat them as squishies easy to sink but you are probably going to get sunk yourself or exposed by that radar and then sunk.

This is because you are not playing the ship correctly. Alaska is not a good ship for island utility, if you play her as such then you are just taking into battle a worse des moines. Instead the optimal playstyle for alaska is to be an open water flanker. You can use your conceal to get in and out of agressive flanking positions, and you routinely catch ships by suprise when they turn and you are unspotted. Additionally, it is extremely tanky so should your flank turn into a kiting one, you can kite to the corner and delay multiple enemies from crossing into your spawn just by the threat of your big guns.

[CDOH]
Members
782 posts
8,208 battles

Its still good for T9 cruiser.   Just shoot from long range early preferably from the concealment of island.  Keep your HP for mid/late game.  You can even swap out radar for spotter.  In this meta it actually makes some sense.  Use your HP to take map control mid to late game.   You have to play conservatively now do to fires.  The guns are still very good.

Edited by Rothgar_57

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,026 posts
13,977 battles

She's still a very solid ship even if her survivability did take a blow to the knees due to WG deciding large cruisers being able to cover their weaknesses with skills was a bad thing and took away said survivability skills from them.

Weird how WG decided that only large cruisers being able to use skills to cover their weak points (I.E, longer fires/floods) was a bad things but DDs, BBs, etc being able to use skills to offset THEIR weaknesses is fine.

[-VT-]
Members
1,170 posts
28,782 battles

Alaska still good with the rework you play it the same in my opinion, I do take the heavy AP with it. On the 4th level I only take Conceal the rest not worth the point but a lot of 2nd and 3rd level skills  you can play with

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,361 posts

IDK depends on you but i like her, if you got the FXP to get her you won't be disappointed i think.

Sign in to follow this