You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bullpies322

Slaughtered

27 comments in this topic

[NAT0]
Members
46 posts
5,701 battles

This game is becoming ever increasingly more impossible.  It doesn't seem to matter the strategy i use, I get slaughtered every single match.  There is no way get better as it doesn't matter if I turn away, or not they kill me by torps or fire.  There used to be a chance I could make an impact, but now I might as well just hit w and walk away as the skill gap has grown so much.  Practice only makes perfect if you know what you're doing wrong, and what to do different.  I know the mechanics of the game, but enemies always out smart, outgun, and outmaneuver me at every turn.  

• Haha 1

[K-POP]
Members
3,067 posts
24,584 battles
12 minutes ago, Bullpies322 said:

This game is becoming ever increasingly more impossible.  It doesn't seem to matter the strategy i use, I get slaughtered every single match.  There is no way get better as it doesn't matter if I turn away, or not they kill me by torps or fire.  There used to be a chance I could make an impact, but now I might as well just hit w and walk away as the skill gap has grown so much.  Practice only makes perfect if you know what you're doing wrong, and what to do different.  I know the mechanics of the game, but enemies always out smart, outgun, and outmaneuver me at every turn.  

its not about the game its about the cold hard cash.

• Cool 4
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 3

[NSEW]
Members
2,271 posts
11,883 battles
52 minutes ago, Bullpies322 said:

I know the mechanics of the game, but enemies always out smart, outgun, and outmaneuver me at every turn.  

I think you may have mistyped.  "but enemies MM always out smart, outgun, and outmaneuver me at every turn."

:cap_cool:

• Boring 4
  • Meh 2

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,520 posts

You just need to get inside the decision cycle of human opponents known as the Boyd Cycle. Execute your attacks with boldness and daring, creating several accumulating problems against a very small amount of fast expiring time frame for them. Then just apply firepower until the situation is cleared at the obj... er crime scene hurr... victory. If you got blown up or burned down, take as many of them with you.

And above all as a old man I prefer to use plotting and treachery to ambush the little children playing adult war games. They do not know that they are already defeated as the torps, AP rounds or whatever is already on the way. I remember one DD who decided to sit tight and tap at my Georgia from inside his smoke earlier today. I did not bother with shooting, just ran him over with the speed boost engaged. The damage taken was minor. I think he felt pretty badly at being run down so easily. Maybe next time he will think faster and stick and move.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Haha 1

[SIT]
Members
81 posts
6,273 battles

one of the most satisfying things is knowing they have you outnumbered, out played and managing to ram them in the end. Feels so gewd!

[SAF]
Members
124 posts
10,907 battles

I would recommend you watch a series by flamu where he analyzes game play by the "average Joe". It was a good series to learn from. Otherwise watch some content creators such as Ichase. Get an idea for positioning etc.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,590 posts
18,537 battles

I've been doing quite well in my battleships since the rework. All of my stats in this category have noticeably increased. The Mikasa, a ship I rarely if ever played, is now even more of a meme than before (see below). I laugh myself through every match. Also the Bourgogne is now almost God tier with her accuracy and speed. I have shelved my brawlers for the moment until I see if anything changes. 

Unfortunately I've been doing quite poorly in my cruisers and my numbers are dropping. I'm going to attempt to try another adjustment to my cruiser builds but right now, for me, I'm not enjoying the meta shift for this class.  So yes, slaughtered, at least at the upper tiers. 

shot-21_02.06_03_55.53-0803.thumb.jpg.6746e5c52a7f29bc056da8cf6442afd6.jpg

[O_O]
Members
6,970 posts
16,974 battles
4 hours ago, Bullpies322 said:

What tiers are you playing?  If you jump into high tiers too soon, it can often be an unforgiving place to learn and tune your playing knowledge.

Map awareness is a crucial skill that is overlooked by a lot of players.  Reposition if you are in an outnumbered situation, if you can't shoot many red ships because of islands, or if you need to push a different cap area.

Watching game play videos on YouTube can be a teaching aid.  Try to pick up on how good players position themselves, when and why they move, and when and why they sometimes do not shoot at available targets (detection).

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,288 posts
10,008 battles
22 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Map awareness is a crucial skill that is overlooked by a lot of players.  Reposition if you are in an outnumbered situation, if you can't shoot many red ships because of islands, or if you need to push a different cap area.

Agreed. It seems like many players are thinking "safety first", and severely limiting their potential target selection as a result.

[-VT-]
Members
1,174 posts
28,794 battles

The new skills are a pain because they incentives bad play, the first that get effective by this are support type ships. Once people get used the "skill enhancements" hopefully it will get better over all.  If you have not developed you aiming skill very well then Dead Eye is actually worse for you

[SALVO]
Members
6,969 posts
5,510 battles
5 hours ago, Bullpies322 said:

Now, this is an honest rant I can respect.

OP, the game is indeed difficult to master and very Darwinian in its nature. My suggestion to you is simplify the variables, stick for a while to mid tiers and pick the class you are more confortable with, try to focus on having fun... Just relax and observe the match flow, know your ship and your enemy, in time you'll "get" it right.

[HINON]
Members
14,006 posts
5 hours ago, xHeavy said:

You just need to get inside the decision cycle of human opponents known as the Boyd Cycle. 

It is always interesting to see Boyd's ideas applied to so many aspects of life.

[SALVO]
Members
3,096 posts
7,080 battles

It’s an interesting conundrum. What feels good to one side or some feels like a terrible match to others. 

last night in a T7 match I was in Sinop.  First  our DDs refused to push and sat way far back.  Played most of the match behind the BBs.  Then my fellow BB pushed in yolo and died while I kept getting torp denied by Mahan.  Then out DDs yo lord one by one then another BB yoloed. 

All the while HE spam from behind islands to farm us with a minekaze and CV spotting. 

So from my perspective we had : 1. Bad DDs not doing their jobs. 2. Half my team Yoloed. 3. Ongoing CV attacks. 4.Constant HE spam.

However while I thought it was terrible the red team thought it was awesome and GGed us. They thought it was great.

Edited by eviltane

[NAVAL]
[NAVAL]
Members
239 posts
13,802 battles

yesterday i was playing izmail, and got multiple V-VI matches in a row ( really rare) and won about 9/10 and they were some seriously bad blowouts.. games barely took 5 mins... switch to tier 8 and it goes to 2-6 with seriously bad blowouts. The new commander skills promote chit game play. You almost feel bad for the other team, till you get a round where your side with 3 people on it kills the enemy 3, and you look at the map and the rest of your teams dead in less than 3-4 minutes and you mutter to yourself "wth" 

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,008 posts
7,785 battles

One of the problems is that the new skill system changed how all of the shiptypes operate in the game, at the same time it encouraged players to act differently to take advantage of the skills they have chosen. That's alot of change hitting all at once, and people are still finding out what works now.

The downside is that you may be expecting (relying really) on your teammates to act a certain way that supports your own actions, only to find them doing something else and leaving you holding the bag. To be sure, everyone is responsible for their own actions in the game, but some of your troubles may be that your teams are acting against your own efforts.

The only thing I can recommend is to sit back and look at if you have to change the fundamentals of your tactics, not just tweek them for the new skills. And, get used to your team being anything but helpful for a while as everyone plays their own game.

Members
207 posts
5,076 battles

I suggest watching the top players on twitch play the game. I ran into a similar issue about 1-2k games back where I knew all the mechanics but couldnt apply them. Watching the top players position and observing how they analyse a situation is key to improving in this game.

One common problem that some people run into is that they only watch the big CC's play, but these are not necessarily the best people to watch if you really want to improve (they are good for entertainment value). For me personally, it has been the o7 streamers and Gaishu who have really helped me the most. 

[NSEW]
Members
2,271 posts
11,883 battles
On 2/8/2021 at 9:19 AM, LowSpeed_US said:

I think you may have mistyped.  "but enemies MM always out smart, outgun, and outmaneuver me at every turn."

:cap_cool:

Wow, some have no humour left from 2020?

(looking at the downvotes)

[CAAT]
Members
1,030 posts
4,625 battles
On 2/8/2021 at 5:09 AM, Mamba_ZA said:

I would recommend you watch a series by flamu where he analyzes game play by the "average Joe". It was a good series to learn from. Otherwise watch some content creators such as Ichase. Get an idea for positioning etc.

I can vouch for iChase on this one. I particularly like his "How To Get Good At World of Warships" videos. ESPECIALLY the VERY FIRST video. That advice applies to not just the game, but to anything, really. Admit that you don't know everything. Have the RIGHT mindset of wanting to improve and listen to feedback in order to actually improve.

[NAT0]
Members
46 posts
5,701 battles

I've watches ichase series, flamu, notser when he still put content out, and mountbatten.  I know what ship class I'm most comfortable with.  By the time you get spotted and fire back its too late.  There just never seems to be a way to get an advantage over the enemy team.  

[CDOH]
Members
783 posts
8,234 battles
14 minutes ago, Bullpies322 said:

I've watches ichase series, flamu, notser when he still put content out, and mountbatten.  I know what ship class I'm most comfortable with.  By the time you get spotted and fire back its too late.  There just never seems to be a way to get an advantage over the enemy team.  

The meta is crap.  Its only going to get worse when Subs come.

[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
21 minutes ago, Bullpies322 said:

IMHO the first step to solving the issue would be to ask yourself, how is the enemy team getting the advantage over you ? Are enemy ships spotting you before you spot them or spotting you when you're not expecting to be attacked ? Are enemy ships catching you in bad positions that you cannot disengage from? 

I'm just a rookie myself but I would suggest just focusing on surviving battles first and foremost and do what you can to help your team without taking on too much risk (you cannot help your team if you're dead), which means cautious positioning (PLAN!) and use of cover and concealment. Move onto other things as you grow more and more comfortable with how to position and use cover & concealment to stay alive, this is what has helped me slowly improve and have more success (and FUN).  

Happy Sailing! 

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,008 posts
7,785 battles
27 minutes ago, Bullpies322 said:

Getting an advantage is always difficult because everyone has the same options to work with, and WG tries to keep any team from getting an advantage from the start.

Some things can work to give you an advantage, but those advantages depend on the other team not working to counter them. For instance, RPF skill can give you an advantage in knowing where the enemy is and where to have your guns pointed, but an enemy may know how to triangulate your own position using it. There are two other Commanders skills that also give you more information than the enemy may have, or they may cause you to fixate on them while the enemy has more freedom to watch for things because they don't have that additional info distracting them.

As I mentioned before, though, alot will depend on your team, and right now teams are still finding how the new skills work. It's going to be rough for a bit.

You can only do your part in a battle, and as someone once said, you can do everything right and still lose.

[NAT0]
Members
46 posts
5,701 battles
On 2/10/2021 at 1:11 PM, WaywardVariable said:

IMHO the first step to solving the issue would be to ask yourself, how is the enemy team getting the advantage over you ? Are enemy ships spotting you before you spot them or spotting you when you're not expecting to be attacked ? Are enemy ships catching you in bad positions that you cannot disengage from? 

I'm just a rookie myself but I would suggest just focusing on surviving battles first and foremost and do what you can to help your team without taking on too much risk (you cannot help your team if you're dead), which means cautious positioning (PLAN!) and use of cover and concealment. Move onto other things as you grow more and more comfortable with how to position and use cover & concealment to stay alive, this is what has helped me slowly improve and have more success (and FUN).  

Happy Sailing! 

I feel like the main thing the enemy does is they work together and focus fire me.  I spot one person and then realize after i fire that half the enemy team is upon me and its too late.  I try to help my destroyer out but that normally doesn't work.  They get killed and then I cant spot their destroyers or i get killed and the destroyer has no help and dies.  It just feels so hopeless. Survival seems pointless when you let your destroyers die. 

[TCCN]
Members
78 posts
9,067 battles

I had a quick look at your stats, not a bad player by any means. I see one potential cause of your issues being playing the Atlanta too much, it is very squishy ship that tends to get focused as soon as it is spotted.

[FORM]
Members
2,208 posts
13,218 battles
On 2/8/2021 at 3:26 AM, Bullpies322 said:

There is no way get better as it doesn't matter if I turn away, or not they kill me by torps or fire. 

The 10.0 patch increased offensive power for every single ship, which makes all our ships THAT much more vulnerable. We can choose to invest skill points into getting back the survivability we had (in some classes, but not all,) which can help - though it does mean we give up some of the offensive skill boosts that many players will take.

The result is we're more vulnerable, and our play has to adapt or you'll experience the kind of hopeless feelings you're expressing. The meta has changed with 10.0 which is why more people are playing further back, island humping, etc. There are a LOT of good tutorials out there to help people improve (several already posted,) but I have to suspect your biggest issue right now is you're just being too aggressive. Stop worrying about caps, stop worrying about pushing. Take a ship you like that you know how it handles, like your Mass... set your captain so that he has some survivability skills (I find that I NEED torp spotting now in a BB,)  and try to play the game at half speed engine for the first few mins at start. Literally do NOT allow yourself to go full speed anywhere for a bit. See if it changes your view of the map development enough to start to see things differently.

Hope that helps! 

Edited by TheArc