You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Angry YouTuber Review of the New Battleship Skills

159 comments in this topic

[46856]
Members
1,922 posts
10 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

For the record, I'm only labelling this overpowered to troll people who don't actually read the stuff I read.  It's really trash.

Sneaky lol :cap_book:

[-BUI-]
Members
2,592 posts
6,909 battles

I don't get how you yourself can post comparative shots showing Deadeye making a MASSIVE impact and then say its garbage and does nothing, that makes zero sense to me.     

Since you marked a really bad skill as overpowered as a joke, I must assume you marked an overpowered skill as garbage to try and get people to stop using it??

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 4

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,499 posts
10,570 battles
2 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

I don't get how you yourself can post comparative shots showing Deadeye making a MASSIVE impact and then say its garbage and does nothing, that makes zero sense to me.   

GARBAGE I hate it!  Who knows why?  Maybe it sucks!  Maybe it's boring!  Maybe I resent how it was implemented in the game!  Only wieners take this skill!

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 15
  • Funny 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 4

Members
544 posts
20 battles
14 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Grease the Gears  - Increase the main battery traverse speed by 20%

This skill makes me so mad. 

Thus the battleships that need this most benefit from it the least.  Those that benefit from it the most have little need of it.  It's all kinds of backwards.

How on Earth does this get a garbage rating?  BB's are often unable to fire when they want to because their guns are traversing.  This skill directly reduces the time between shots when this is an issue, and so is a clear dpm buff, and also a buff to the times when you need to fire those guns right now!

I understand completely that it's a frustrating implementation.  They should definitely change it to not be a percentage based increase.  The old implementation was way better.  Having said that, the reason why it's so frustrating that the implementation is poor is because it is such an important skill, and as such even with the crappier implementation it can't possibly be a garbage skill, and it is still the best skill at this tier, and the sole tier 2 pick in the BB cookie cutter build (there shouldn't be a BB cookie cutter build, and all other skill trees have quite diverse build options, but for BB's in this patch, there most definitely is one).  If you're not taking this skill in you're BB, you're just nerfing yourself.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[WOLFC]
Members
526 posts
8,768 battles
Just now, Moggytwo said:

How on Earth does this get a garbage rating?  BB's are often unable to fire when they want to because their guns are traversing.  This skill directly reduces the time between shots when this is an issue, and so is a clear dpm buff, and also a buff to the times when you need to fire those guns right now!

I understand completely that it's a frustrating implementation.  They should definitely change it to not be a percentage based increase.  The old implementation was way better.  Having said that, the reason why it's so frustrating that the implementation is poor is because it is such an important skill, and as such even with the crappier implementation it can't possibly be a garbage skill, and it is still the best skill at this tier, and the sole tier 2 pick in the BB cookie cutter build (there shouldn't be a BB cookie cutter build, and all other skill trees have quite diverse build options, but for BB's in this patch, there most definitely is one).  If you're not taking this skill in you're BB, you're just nerfing yourself.

I have a feeling it's another one of these...

7 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

GARBAGE I hate it!  Who knows why?  Maybe it sucks!  Maybe it's boring!  Maybe I resent how it was implemented in the game!  Only wieners take this skill!

• Cool 1

Members
2,069 posts
12,694 battles
27 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

2D2Pdmd.png  Enhanced Anti-Torpedo Protection - Torpedo damage reduction increased by 10%.

This plugs into the flooding calculation formula.  This formula changed with patch 0.10.0, but we can infer it to be something akin to the following:

Flood Chance When Striking Anti-Torpedo Belt = (1 - [Torpedo Protection]) x (1 - GEwUI7V.png) x (1 - AqBpqRx.png) x 0.33 x [Torpedo Flood Chance] x (1 + +1% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber above 160mm / +0.5% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber below 160mm. / +4% chance of causing flooding.) x (1 + +15% chance of causing flooding. / +5% to the risk of your ship's magazine detonating.) x (1 + isjkIR9.png) x (1 + planestorpedouwreduced.png)
Flood Chance When Striking Anywhere Else =  [Torpedo Flood Chance] x (1 + +1% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber above 160mm / +0.5% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber below 160mm. / +4% chance of causing flooding.) x (1 + +15% chance of causing flooding. / +5% to the risk of your ship's magazine detonating.) x (1 + isjkIR9.png) x (1 + planestorpedouwreduced.png)

Where:

• Torpedo Protection is the stat listed in port and only applies to hits that strike the ship's anti-torpedo bulges.  So Yamato's 55% would equal 0.55, Zao's 19% would be 0.19 and Asashio's non-existent anti-torpedo protection is 0.  If it strikes anywhere but the anti-torpedo bulge, this value is also 0. 
  • GEwUI7V.png is the Damage Control Modification 1 upgrade which goes in slot two of tier III+ ships.  If present on the ship being hit, this value is 0.03.  Otherwise this value is zero.
  • AqBpqRx.pngis the skill Enhanced Anti-Torpedo Protection.  If present on the ship being hit, this value is 0.1.  Otherwise this value is zero.
  • Torpedo Flooding Chance is a hidden stat and varies considerably, often exceeding 100%.  For example, the tier II German destroyer V-25 on its upgraded G/6 AV torpedoes has 173% flood chance, which would be represented here by 1.73.  Compare that to everyone's favourite destroyer which single-handedly removed all battleships from the game, Asashio, which has a 436% (4.36 in this formula). 
  • +1% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber above 160mm / +0.5% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber below 160mm. / +4% chance of causing flooding.is the Victor Lima signal.  If present on the attacking ship, this value is 0.04.  If not, the value is 0. 
  • +15% chance of causing flooding. / +5% to the risk of your ship's magazine detonating. is the Juliet Whiskey Unaone signal.  If present on the attacking ship, this value is 0.15.  If not, the value is 0.
  • isjkIR9.pngis the Liquidator skill.  If present on the attacking ship, this value is 0.3.  If not, the value is 0.
  • planestorpedouwreduced.png is the new aircraft carrier commander skill Proximity Fuse.  If present on the attacking ship, this value is 0.1.  If not, the value is 0.

It's hard to rate this skill very highly. It's dependent upon torpedoes striking her anti-torpedo belt in the first place.  In addition, there are some torpedoes with such a ridiculously high flooding chance on their torpedoes, this skill will do little to nothing at all.  It's best use is probably to mitigate aircraft carrier torpedoes floods, but even then, it's hard to see the value here, especially for three points.  Drop some torpedo crit chances into the formula and see for yourself.  This skill is really lacking.

VERDICT: GARBAGE

Does this skill not reduce damage taken from torps? Why do you only talk about floods.

[RVNHQ]
Members
382 posts
11,280 battles

+1 for the Kriegsmarine meme

Members
544 posts
20 battles
Just now, Nolo_00 said:

I have a feeling it's another one of these...

Fair enough.

Of course, LWM is a respected voice in the community, and if she is doing things like not recommending GtG because she doesn't like the implementation, then people will listen to her, take a sub-optimal build, and be less effective in their BB's because of it.

Here is the BB build: 1-ERS, 2-GtG, 3-AR/BoS, 4-DE/CE/FP.  That's it, everything else is worse.  There is so much diversity on the other skill trees, but for BB's, it is cut and dried.  This is just a reflection of some of the fundamental issues with BB's, that have been around for a long time, but are being brought into sharper focus by the skills rework.

Hopefully WG make some real changes to provide options to BB's, and encourage them into mid range, when they announce their 0.10.1 skill rework balance changes.  There are some pretty huge issues for the class though, and it would take a lot more than a few mild captain skill balance changes to fix them.

[WG-CC]
12,499 posts
10,570 battles
11 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

Does this skill not reduce damage taken from torps? Why do you only talk about floods.

It does.  Thanks, I added a line to correct the omission in the text.

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
526 posts
8,768 battles
2 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

Fair enough.

Of course, LWM is a respected voice in the community, and if she is doing things like not recommending GtG because she doesn't like the implementation, then people will listen to her, take a sub-optimal build, and be less effective in their BB's because of it.

Here is the BB build: 1-ERS, 2-GtG, 3-AR/BoS, 4-DE/CE/FP.  That's it, everything else is worse.  There is so much diversity on the other skill trees, but for BB's, it is cut and dried.  This is just a reflection of some of the fundamental issues with BB's, that have been around for a long time, but are being brought into sharper focus by the skills rework.

Hopefully WG make some real changes to provide options to BB's, and encourage them into mid range, when they announce their 0.10.1 skill rework balance changes.  There are some pretty huge issues for the class though, and it would take a lot more than a few mild captain skill balance changes to fix them.

Oh, the new skill trees are a mess, no doubt about that.

Of all the trees, I'd say cruisers have the worst one, with heavy cruisers and super cruisers having only a bunch of bad options to pick from. Destroyers and Carriers on the other hand seem to have come out ok.

Not great, but ok.

This may just be my impression, but LWM may be taking these most recent skill reviews and giving the new skill options the same level of respect that WG has to their implementation.

• Cool 3

[WG-CC]
12,499 posts
10,570 battles
5 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

I can't in good conscience recommend Grease the Gears because the math is backwards.  For the points invested, you can get access to much better skills.  Quality of life so often gets sacrificed for survivability.  Priority Target is the better skill for increasing survivability than Grease the Gears.  If a battleship truly needs it (say, Yamato), then dump Adrenaline Rush for it and slap the extra point where you will.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[WG-CC]
12,499 posts
10,570 battles
1 minute ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Small typo in the Roma dispersion pictures. Says right "ot" left. @LittleWhiteMouse

Thanks, when posts get this big, the built-in spell checker just gives up the ghost.  I'll be doing some proofing over the next day or so.  For now, my brain is pudding.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,830 posts
4,285 battles

Good breakdown, definitely needed. Standard BB survivability build is still king despite changes, it's just more expensive and has less stuff in it. I'm with you on the new EM implementation, completely puzzled why it was done that way as it makes no sense to have it benefit the slowest rotating ships the least. This also confirmed what I've been realizing, to get to the same place as the old builds it's now more expensive and usually you lose something. Survival build now costs 2 more points and doesn't include EM or EL, and the only thing you gain that I can see is some small buffs to DamaCon and Heal cooldown. Not sure why WG thought that kind of change was needed.

Deadeye, yeah most people probably aren't actually able to shoot any better with it, it just gives them an excuse to sit back and snipe ineffectively. But the fact it encourages that kind of play should be enough to get it reworked (or removed). I think your +15% to reload addition to it is a great idea.

Edited by AJTP89

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
7,195 battles

Nice work! I'll probably be running boring, standard survival on most of the IJN line. Maybe dead eye on my Royal Navy given their concealment. Maybe. They might end up survival too. I insist on secondaries for my French, Kii, and Amagi because I hate myself.

[SVF]
Members
1,805 posts
2,335 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Back in the day, Warspite received +0.7º/s from this skill's predecessor.  This new version of the skill only gives her 0.5º/s.  Here's some of the more common turret rotation rates and you can see how much this skill gives: 

• 72s for 180º: +0.5º/s
  • 60s for 180º: +0.6º/s
  • 45s for 180º: +0.8º/s
  • 30s for 180º: +1.2º/s

You might be mixing up Warspite and QE.  Warspite's base 180 traverse time is 54.5s now, not 72s.

[WG-CC]
12,499 posts
10,570 battles
4 minutes ago, landcollector said:

You might be mixing up Warspite and QE.  Warspite's base 180 traverse time is 54.5s now, not 72s.

See, this is a clear case of my thought process not making it to typie-words.  I'll fix it.  The point I was trying to make was that old-timey Warspite, had she been present in 0.10.0, would only gain 0.5º/s with this skill... which would have sucked.

• Cool 3

[SVF]
Members
1,805 posts
2,335 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

See, this is a clear case of my thought process not making it to typie-words.  I'll fix it.  The point I was trying to make was that old-timey Warspite, had she been present in 0.10.0, would only gain 0.5º/s with this skill... which would have sucked.

Ah, I see.  Thanks for the clarification!

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,767 posts
4,771 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I swear to god, if I look at that dispersion formula again before the week is out, I'm going to scream.

1337339684_VforVendetta.gif.4365f7473b4f50c1e9ebb1ea299955ff.gif

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers
300 posts
7,758 battles

I'm wondering on how the math shakes out for Montana with Super Heavy AP shells with her Unique upgrade.

Reinforced Emergency Response gives -10% fire/flood duration time. If i have everything else that reduces it, do you think the skill is worthwhile? Extra AP damage is nice, but Montana is relying on a lot of guns firing semirapidly rather than smaller numbers of big boomsticks like Yamato.

Also how would you rate some of the more garbage/meh skills like Grease the Gears and Preventative Maintenance for captains that get improved versions of those skills?

• Cool 1

[OVR40]
Members
6 posts
22,344 battles

Wow did somebody hack LWM account seemed fairly emotional not the norm 

[WHS]
Members
254 posts
4,044 battles

Deadeye is a must have right now, since everyone else has it and are playing the long range game. Even if you prefer an aggressive playstyle, everyone else is playing the deadeye meta, so you need it to compete.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

[O7]
Supertester
392 posts
13,174 battles

There are several skills I think you are underestimating/overvaluing. 

Preventative Maintenance is also useful for BBs that have issues getting their turrets knocked out like French BBs. Doesn't deserve the garbage rating when the French BB line exists. 

Your assessment on Grease the Gears seems based on comparing her to the old version, rather than look at it's effectiveness for ships that can use her. It comes off closer to irrational rambling than objective assessment. 

I find PT is mostly useful for torpedo dodging. Knowing how many people are looking at you isn't that useful as the minimap usually tells you. Vs BB, you should be looking at where their guns are pointed and angle appropriately anyways. 

I'm surprised Adrenaline rush doesn't get the Overpowered designation. It's still a core take on every BB and is far superior to every other BB skill. All but the most passive or suicidal players will get a significant DPM boost from AR. 

For deadeye, I'd just not give a rating. I would draw a parallel with Deadeye and secondary spec BB. Both heavily encourage a particular playstyle to the point many players force themselves to use the skill, even if it's to their detriment. German BBs are notorious for suiciding into the enemy while Thunderers are notorious for sniping behind spawn. 

I think you are severely underestimating Close Quarters Combat. Close Quarters Combat is much easier to activate than Secondaries as the only prereq is to be in secondary range. You don't have to worry about secondary firing angles. Just being near islands is usually enough to find an enemy within your secondary range, even if your secondaries can't actually shoot it. I find it very odd that you rate Manual Secondaries as meh but CQC as garbage based on activation criteria. And CQC reduces main battery reload time, arguably much stronger than more accurate secondaries. 

• Cool 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Meh 1