Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Landing_Skipper

Something Good About Captain Skill Rework

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

611
[-GPS-]
Members
2,929 posts
38,237 battles

As I’m trying to optimize the use of my special commanders, I’m trying different builds for specific ships. In the past, you had to decide which ship class would benefit from Ovechkin, Halsey, Yamamoto, Cunningham, et al. Now you pick 1 tech tree ship, but you can use the same captain on a Premium DD, BB, and CV (assuming tech tree cruiser, for example). 

So I had Philippe Auboyneau on the Kleber. But I do significantly better with Mogador so I swapped captains. Then I looked at French cruisers. I used to like Henri V. Ugh, not anymore. But Charles Martel still is a strong T8 cruiser. I don’t know when I’d played it last. 

‘Andrew Cunningham is perfect for a CV, so he’s on Audacious. He’s also great on Thunderer. Hmm, I only have a couple Premium British DDs but Cossack!  Another fun ship that I’d basically forgotten all about despite a pretty good win rate  

These are just 2 examples. It’s so cheap to move captains for now, it really makes sense to go through the fleet and figure out where you’ll have the most fun with your high skill point captains and make the most of the special ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,025 posts
11,978 battles

Yeah, the commander skills rework really screams “forget about most tech tree ships, dismiss all of your regular commanders for doubloons, and just max out your legendary commanders to play on premiums.”

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,850
[SGSS]
Members
5,734 posts
54 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

As I’m trying to optimize the use of my special commanders, I’m trying different builds for specific ships. In the past, you had to decide which ship class would benefit from Ovechkin, Halsey, Yamamoto, Cunningham, et al. Now you pick 1 tech tree ship, but you can use the same captain on a Premium DD, BB, and CV (assuming tech tree cruiser, for example). 

So I had Philippe Auboyneau on the Kleber. But I do significantly better with Mogador so I swapped captains. Then I looked at French cruisers. I used to like Henri V. Ugh, not anymore. But Charles Martel still is a strong T8 cruiser. I don’t know when I’d played it last. 

‘Andrew Cunningham is perfect for a CV, so he’s on Audacious. He’s also great on Thunderer. Hmm, I only have a couple Premium British DDs but Cossack!  Another fun ship that I’d basically forgotten all about despite a pretty good win rate  

These are just 2 examples. It’s so cheap to move captains for now, it really makes sense to go through the fleet and figure out where you’ll have the most fun with your high skill point captains and make the most of the special ones. 

I have 3 different builds in Sipan and Ohio

  That part is very cool.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,369
[PVE]
Members
10,914 posts
18,890 battles
1 hour ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

dismiss all of your regular commanders for doubloons

I didn't hear this part of the screaming. I did all of my spending at Christmas time.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,822
[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
4 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

As I’m trying to optimize the use of my special commanders, I’m trying different builds for specific ships. In the past, you had to decide which ship class would benefit from Ovechkin, Halsey, Yamamoto, Cunningham, et al. Now you pick 1 tech tree ship, but you can use the same captain on a Premium DD, BB, and CV (assuming tech tree cruiser, for example). 

So I had Philippe Auboyneau on the Kleber. But I do significantly better with Mogador so I swapped captains. Then I looked at French cruisers. I used to like Henri V. Ugh, not anymore. But Charles Martel still is a strong T8 cruiser. I don’t know when I’d played it last. 

‘Andrew Cunningham is perfect for a CV, so he’s on Audacious. He’s also great on Thunderer. Hmm, I only have a couple Premium British DDs but Cossack!  Another fun ship that I’d basically forgotten all about despite a pretty good win rate  

These are just 2 examples. It’s so cheap to move captains for now, it really makes sense to go through the fleet and figure out where you’ll have the most fun with your high skill point captains and make the most of the special ones. 

I definitely take the opposite tack and just forget tech tree ships. Boost special captain to 21pt, Assign the special captain to 1 tech tree ship, doesnt matter which, and just play premium ships. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
812
[-BCO-]
Members
1,831 posts
3,317 battles
4 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

As I’m trying to optimize the use of my special commanders, I’m trying different builds for specific ships. In the past, you had to decide which ship class would benefit from Ovechkin, Halsey, Yamamoto, Cunningham, et al. Now you pick 1 tech tree ship, but you can use the same captain on a Premium DD, BB, and CV (assuming tech tree cruiser, for example). 

So I had Philippe Auboyneau on the Kleber. But I do significantly better with Mogador so I swapped captains. Then I looked at French cruisers. I used to like Henri V. Ugh, not anymore. But Charles Martel still is a strong T8 cruiser. I don’t know when I’d played it last. 

‘Andrew Cunningham is perfect for a CV, so he’s on Audacious. He’s also great on Thunderer. Hmm, I only have a couple Premium British DDs but Cossack!  Another fun ship that I’d basically forgotten all about despite a pretty good win rate  

These are just 2 examples. It’s so cheap to move captains for now, it really makes sense to go through the fleet and figure out where you’ll have the most fun with your high skill point captains and make the most of the special ones. 

I disagree. Cl builds don't fit Ca builds, PvP builds don't fit PvE builds, the whole thing is just a giant pile of crap.

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
265
[PVE]
Members
508 posts
19,808 battles

Except for  making all my 19 pt. Commanders useless (34 !) I like the Commander skill re-work , I have more options now, for example I have a 21 pt secondary expert commander for my Warspite for when I play the Operation Rapture Rescue and another 21pt Commander with standard, older British BB skills  for most other situations. 

Overall its a vast improvement other than the  theft of my XP earning ability with has really angered me 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
514
[WOLF5]
Members
1,361 posts
10,472 battles
6 hours ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Yeah, the commander skills rework really screams “forget about most tech tree ships, dismiss all of your regular commanders for doubloons, and just max out your legendary commanders to play on premiums.”

Pretty much my current approach....sadly....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
265
[PVE]
Members
508 posts
19,808 battles

The Skill Re-work will completely change the way I play the game . After having all my ECXP earning potential taken away my game dynamic had to change, I decided that the days of collecting tech tree lines ships were over, the amount of XP between 19 and 21 is ridiculous and not worth promoting all my 19pt Commanders .

For the future I'd still be interested in  low, an mid tier Italian and Commonwealth tech tree ships but thats about it , I dont think the efforts worth it anymore for ships that won't get played alot 

ill be more selective, and stick to historical ships as well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
425 posts
6,979 battles

I'm not as far along in the game as many of you, but the rework is demotivating me.  Seriously it cost more for the last 2 points for a commander than I have earned on my 17 point commander.  Sigh, what should I have expected from this company after watching what WOT and WOWP have become.  I was going to buy Flint, but not anymore, I'll wait and see what they do with her first.  Currently working on finishing the dockyard event, getting close.  After that I'm not sure what comes next, I'm setting on about a year of premium time.  So I'll be around at least that long.  Maybe things will shape up, it has happened before when I was at a loss with this game.  This rework after last years CV bork just feels bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,409
[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,813 posts
7,511 battles

The fact that 10.0 made premium ships quite a bit more valuable should not be lost in the conversations as to why this was done.    Quite literally it is really amazing the variety of builds that can now be applied to premium ships with hosts of commanders available to use for them.   If there was ever a time to consider buying or playing premium ships its now.     Just a perfect example...  there is literally only two premium USN CVs in game (Enterprise & Saipan, along with one special, FDR)  I have multitudes of high tier USN commanders assigned to BBs & CAs.. all those commanders can be placed into my premium CVs with quite a variety of different builds.    Which in the case of both of them really needed very different builds than my standard USN tech tree carriers..      I mean, its amazing it wasn't really pitched a lot more when WG was selling the rework.. Because premium ships of all types are really the biggest winner of the rework.   I think I have 18-20 19 point(1 - 21 :Smile_unsure:) commanders... none of which were actually perfect builds for any premium ships.  I'm sure there is some with a lot more battles than me that have some commanders built sepcifically for their premiums.. but I haven't been able to yet?     All of those commanders can now be fashioned into a perfect build for 3 separate Premium ships.    Its made playing premium ships even more rewarding, a very subtle P2W feature baked right in,  and a huge jump in the value of premiums  IMO.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
611
[-GPS-]
Members
2,929 posts
38,237 battles
9 hours ago, commando_brian said:

Except for  making all my 19 pt. Commanders useless (34 !) I like the Commander skill re-work , I have more options now, for example I have a 21 pt secondary expert commander for my Warspite for when I play the Operation Rapture Rescue and another 21pt Commander with standard, older British BB skills  for most other situations. 

Overall its a vast improvement other than the  theft of my XP earning ability with has really angered me 

I completely agree with your aggravation!  1.2mm commander XP to get from 19 to 21 points is a TON.  I have been saving Commander XP for a couple of months and had several million but wasn't able to bring half of my special captains up to 21 points without spending Free XP. Ugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
611
[-GPS-]
Members
2,929 posts
38,237 battles
2 hours ago, iRA6E said:

The fact that 10.0 made premium ships quite a bit more valuable should not be lost in the conversations as to why this was done.    Quite literally it is really amazing the variety of builds that can now be applied to premium ships with hosts of commanders available to use for them.   If there was ever a time to consider buying or playing premium ships its now.     Just a perfect example...  there is literally only two premium USN CVs in game (Enterprise & Saipan, along with one special, FDR)  I have multitudes of high tier USN commanders assigned to BBs & CAs.. all those commanders can be placed into my premium CVs with quite a variety of different builds.    Which in the case of both of them really needed very different builds than my standard USN tech tree carriers..      I mean, its amazing it wasn't really pitched a lot more when WG was selling the rework.. Because premium ships of all types are really the biggest winner of the rework.   I think I have 18-20 19 point(1 - 21 :Smile_unsure:) commanders... none of which were actually perfect builds for any premium ships.  I'm sure there is some with a lot more battles than me that have some commanders built sepcifically for their premiums.. but I haven't been able to yet?     All of those commanders can now be fashioned into a perfect build for 3 separate Premium ships.    Its made playing premium ships even more rewarding, a very subtle P2W feature baked right in,  and a huge jump in the value of premiums  IMO.  

I totally agree that the Commander skill changes were very deliberately designed to make Premium ships more valuable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
385
[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
536 posts
15,449 battles

You know the captain rework encourages you to spend money on premium boats so you can freely move that one special captain around.

I admit, I'm moving the special captains around on my premium boats. And as of right now, thats all I play, my premium ships. Until I get enough Elite Commander EXP to get all my previous 19pt captains to 21 points.  So far I've got 9 out of the 28 captains to 21 points.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×