You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Laser_Beam

AA Dispersion - Please Explain

8 comments in this topic

Members
682 posts
220 battles

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been asked before.... 

Why is BB dispersion the worst when compared to the other ship types?  e.g.

1. BB dispersion: 70-75% depending on range
  2. CA/CL dispersion:  85-90% depending on range
  3. DD/CV dispersion: 95-100% depending on range

To keep this comparison as fair as possible I've used the USN tree at tier 8 as this is mostly the same AA guns (Oerlikons and Bofors).  there may (or may not) be exceptions to this.

IMHO :

1. CV and BB both count as large ships.  Surely these would make the most stable platforms for firing AA, so why the inconsistency?
  2. DDs are the smallest ships with the fewest amount of AA guns.  So 1 gun is 100 accurate?  and several guns will miss?  I fail to see WG logic with AA dispersion.

image.thumb.png.dac59797cfd3e254269849d739f84268.png

PS - I left the captions on (for some) as I can see NO captain skills that increase AA dispersion.

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
992 posts
8,023 battles
2 hours ago, Laser_Beam said:

Hi All,

To keep this comparison as fair as possible I've used the USN tree at tier 8 as this is mostly the same AA guns (Oerlikons and Bofors).  there may (or may not) be exceptions to this.

IMHO :

1. CV and BB both count as large ships.  Surely these would make the most stable platforms for firing AA, so why the inconsistency?
  2. DDs are the smallest ships with the fewest amount of AA guns.  So 1 gun is 100 accurate?  and several guns will miss?  I fail to see WG logic with AA dispersion.

PS - I left the captions on (for some) as I can see NO captain skills that increase AA dispersion.

Honestly because balance. 

Is this a secondary account or your main account btw?

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,472 posts
13,117 battles
On 2/6/2021 at 6:50 PM, Laser_Beam said:

Hi All,

IMHO :

Game wise, it's a clean way to adjust the AA DPS without actually changing the AA guns. (or changing the ship model, or messing with other ships that use the same guns) It's also somewhat misleading. 95% hit probability means that it does 95% damage, not that there's a 5% chance it will fail to hit.

As far as real life, a ship with one AA gun will usually have the widest possible arcs of fire, and obviously no mutual interference between AA guns, but that's still possible between the AA gun and anti-surface weaponry.

On a large ship with lots of AA guns, the individual guns will have a more limited arcs of fire, with gaps covered by other guns.  The guns can interfere with each other, by making it harder for a gunner to find their own tracers, a mount that fires near another mount rattles the gun crew, barrels physically getting in the way of each other (when HMS Repulse was sunk, one of the Pom-Poms apparently gouged the barrel of another AA gun) , ect...

One gun is more efficient on a per barrel basis, more guns are more effective by quantity. Eventually, by continuing to cover every available surface with AA guns, you get past the point of diminishing returns and start making the ships AA even less effective.

Edited by SgtBeltfed
  • Cool 1

Members
682 posts
220 battles
5 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Balance.

Between what?  A Duck and a Witch?

1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Game wise, it's a clean way to adjust the AA DPS without actually changing the AA guns. (or changing the ship model, or messing with other ships that use the same guns) It's also somewhat misleading. 95% hit probability means that it does 95% damage, not that there's a 5% chance it will fail to hit.

As far as real life, a ship with one AA gun will usually have the widest possible arcs of fire, and obviously no mutual interference between AA guns, but that's still possible between the AA gun and anti-surface weaponry.

On a large ship with lots of AA guns, the individual guns will have a more limited arcs of fire, with gaps covered by other guns.  The guns can interfere with each other, by making it harder for a gunner to find their own tracers, a mount that fires near another mount rattles the gun crew, barrels physically getting in the way of each other (when HMS Repulse was sunk, one of the Pop-Poms apparently gouged the barrel of another AA gun) , ect...

One gun is more efficient on a per barrel basis, more guns are more effective by quantity. Eventually, by continuing to cover every available surface with AA guns, you get past the point of diminishing returns and start making the ships AA even less effective.

Thanks.  So no point taking the Captain skills for AA because the additional damage is useless if I can't hit anything?

[WOLF1]
Members
925 posts
1,893 battles
10 minutes ago, Laser_Beam said:

Thanks.  So no point taking the Captain skills for AA because the additional damage is useless if I can't hit anything?

Its like a commission. Increase the base DLS and amount of flak clouds put up, and the ship will take 5% off of that increase base dps. It works, but doubt it would make you a RTS era american aa cruiser with a no-fly zone

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,472 posts
13,117 battles
9 hours ago, Laser_Beam said:

Anything that affects Continuous AA DPS will work as advertised, There is no RNG. For 95% of players, they aren't going to notice that a ship that says it has 200 AA DPS is only putting out 190 DPS, and if a Skill adds 20% to that you'll end up at 228 instead of 240.

The only thing "Hit Percentage" really means to most players that understand it is, if you've got 2 ships with the same AA DPS the ship with the higher accuracy is better.

Flak bursts are a different story, as they can be dodged, so really good players might just fly around them, while everyone else loses some planes to it. Depending on the number of flak bursts, you'll get more results from adding a flak burst over making them hurt more, and in many cases, putting points in it will be mostly pointless. Ships with several flak bursts can get results in an extra burst (harder to fly around) while ships that only have 1 or 2 might as well find other places to spend those points.

Edited by SgtBeltfed
  • Cool 2