You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MannyD_of_The_Sea

What Price Glory?

10 comments in this topic

[A-I-M]
Members
3,856 posts
14,866 battles

Ok, ripped off the title of an old James Cagney movie.

The TLDR up front, where it belongs: But, What price Steel? To what lengths will you go for it? Do you have a point beyond which you will not tread?

Two years ago, I made my “dead run for steel,” to get enough for Stalingrad. But then, things were different: It was the first snowflake event, and it paid 100 steel for tech tree T8s and T9s, and 200 steel for Tech Tree T10s, and all premiums T8 and up.

And it was carrier rework season. WG offered Full Credit refunds and ALL XP USED ON CVs AND MODULES/PLANES BACK AS FXP, if you didn’t like like the rework and wanted to dump your CVs

I think if you cleared your CV snowflakes before the rework, you even got to clear them again when 0.8.0 dropped in January 2018.

So I gamed the system and went all chips in. Bought big into lots of lines, ground hard, and threw Free XP at CVs. Got my million-plus FXP back and threw down for Alaska.

It was lucrative then. Every tech tree ship or premium I got, I either wanted anyway, or was going to FXP past, anyway. And WG was good to their word, and put all the all the FXP (and grind XP) back in my pocket as FXP.

And it worked then. It got me about 1000 steel from Stalingrad, and when the next Ranked season came, I had it.

But now, I have 700,000 FXP, and it (plus coal for one additional T9) will net me 495 steel (six T8s and T9s net, plus clan bonus).

And that will get me to about 45% of the way to Bourgogne.

And I’m saying it’s not worth it this go-round.

45% there means a long 55% to go. There’s no favorable givebacks this time. It’s only half as lucrative, as well.

And with the daily grindable steel, that’s eleven full days grind, which takes me about three weeks to achieve. Two years ago, my dead run (it was BIG) netted nearly a year’s steel. (There was no daily steel then.)

My FXP bank will get me through the next RB 2X bonus reset, and that, my warshipping friends, locks up the Ohio, or Slava.

So, what say you guys? Not so much in terms of advice, but what have you done to stretch for steel? What have you said “no” to, in forsaking steel?

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
Typo correction

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,513 posts

This past winter has been somewhat lighter on steel. I am up to 17K mostly on dailies and some snowflakes etc. After about 5 months.

It will take me another 5 to 9 months at this rate to get past 30K. Over a year or more to gain enough to pickup any of the top steel ships. Steel is something of a difficult resource and frankly once i pick up one or two ships off it I would not care for it anymore. Its just too rare in game.

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,361 posts

As far as i'm concerned they could just call it diamond since i just treat it as compressed coal and use it as such.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,856 posts
14,866 battles

Ok, so I’m chalking up you two guys on the”not pushing much for steel” side of things.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
Typo

Members
130 posts
252 battles

I don't do anything specific for steel. I just pick it up while playing the game like many of the other rewards. I quit playing clan battles, I don't grind ranked specifically for the rewards. I only have 2 steel ships.

Honestly, I try not to be bothered by ANY rewards in this game any more. It just messes with your brain.

• Cool 3

[WPORT]
Members
8,105 posts
13,162 battles
12 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Ok, ripped off the title if an old James Cagney movie.

The TLDR...

Funny, I thought you were referring to this vendor.  :-)

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/