You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Maine_ARC_1

Build Math: How to set up a GK gun reload build.

22 comments in this topic

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,981 posts
8,933 battles

So, I was doing some build math with my clan mates the other day…………..

I just got GK, and was working over how to best build her out. Playing with some theoretical numbers, I came to a conclusion German bb's now can actually have a stupid broken gun reload in a push.

So, to start, we take MAM1, DCSM1, SBM1, DCSM2, CSM1, and MBM3. For consumables, slot Spotter or Fighter, your choice. Take for signals, NES, MYS, NF, SM, ID, JYB, IY, and JC. For captain skills, take PM or GF (your choice), PT or GTG (your choice), AR, BoS, TGG, CE, and FPE. Assume you have Lutjents in command. TGG and AR are the operative skills, so at a minimum, assume those are in play, and if you don’t have a 21 point captain, drop BoS.

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PGSB110&modules=1111&upgrades=112121&commander=PGW103&skills=13680736&ar=100&flags=4035&consumables=1111&pos=0

Now, stock, GK has a 29 second reload on its 406mm guns, which we will be using. With our upgrades, GK now has a 25.52 second reload. Assume the battle starts, and then continues for a bit, and you find yourself at about, say, half health. You now have a 22.97 second reload. Yeah, pretty good, but this sucker is about to get lower. Remember TGG? In the late game, ships have been cleared off the board, and you can push up, which is why we have our lovely damage control skills. You have a 34.7 second fire duration and a 23.1 second flooding duration, which is pretty nifty I would say. So as you push up, you need to get at least to 9.5km to be comfortable, but at 10.46km, the magic starts. 

This allows TGG to kick in with confidence, and say hello to a 21.13 second reload. Now, amidst all this fighting, you are obviously going to take a little more damage, right? At 20% HP, you are now at a 19.72 second reload. Not to mention, because you have Lutjents, you will be procing Resilient a few times, considering you will most likely have lost your DD's, so you will be able to spot and incrementally increase your HP in-between a few shots taken at you, keeping your HP stable. Don't worry about cruiser torps or enemy torps, you have hydro and probably will stay moving if you are moving into primary gun brawl, plus, the icing on the cake. So during what is about to follow, you will be tanking damage as you can sustainably brawl.

Lutjens has the Main Battery Loader skill after 140 hits, which will be super easy at this stage because your pre-proc reload allows this to even be possible as you fire thought the course of the game. This means that you can get an additional 7.5% off your reload. At 20% HP and a reload of 19.72, this works out to 1.479 seconds off the already low number. 

Your reload is now down to 18.26 seconds. You can push a target and get close to it's already damaged rear end, and beat the crap out of it because by the time it reloads, you have fired twice. You have a fire rate of 3 Rounds per minute, IN A BATTLESHIP THAT CAN GET CLOSE. And as for reload, just to compare, Alaska has a base reload of 20 seconds. You literally have Cruiser reload times.

If the ship or engagement sails out of range, you have a 19.83 second reload at 2.8 rounds per minute. At 10 km, you have a 603.7mm AP pen, meaning you don’t have to worry about bow plating and can get shells into an enemies athwart.

Now, I have not tested this myself, nor do I think that this is actually something that is akin to a highly competitive build, but if you have Lutjents, GK, and wanna try something different before the commander rework free respect goes away, this is a good option to try just for [edited] and giggles. It’s not the fastest BB reload, or the strongest BB, but it sure would be a fun option to squirrel around with as a late game champion.

Edited by Maine_ARC_1

[OO7]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
242 posts
9,900 battles

image.thumb.png.f7cbae039beac425b8bcec3d4bc4541d.png

Something like this?

Granted: I did not use Lutjens and this was just in a training room, but yeah, 18s is about what I got to with the 406's and maxed AR with CQC and UU.

Some other fun tidbits from my testing at the time: 

image.thumb.png.92161596fe2aa2bffad0838ac5fa2392.png

image.thumb.png.cb43da2180d8c7e562863b39ff0ea66d.png

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,981 posts
8,933 battles
8 minutes ago, ToxicSymphony said:

Granted: I did not use Lutjens and this was just in a training room, but yeah, 18s is about what I got to with the 406's and maxed AR with CQC and UU.

Lutjents is the reason you don't have to be on your death bed when TGG kicks in. I think this build hypothetically when redlined at 1% HP you can get to 17.85 seconds reload or something like that. Not sure how practically viable this would be, but it sure as hell might be a way to still have fun with GK.

Also, that Republique is disgusting.

Edited by Maine_ARC_1

[OO7]
242 posts
9,900 battles
Just now, Maine_ARC_1 said:

Lutjents is the reason you don't have to be on your death bed when TGG kicks in. I think this build hypothetically when redlined at 1% HP you can get to 17.85 seconds reload or something like that. Not sure how practically viable this would be, but it sure as hell might be a way to still have fun with GK.

Yeah I actually just flat out forgot Lutjens gets that additional reload speed, I mean it certainly makes you shoot every 20-22s normally, which is pretty darn spicy, but hard to proc and impossible in training rooms :'(.  

The JB and Repub were both on Honore (0.25 AR) and the Repub is with the UU.  :D.  The funny part for me was the boost on JB was so extreme it gave me a 4th salvo on reload boost, when the normal has only ever been 3.  

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,981 posts
8,933 battles
12 minutes ago, ToxicSymphony said:

Yeah I actually just flat out forgot Lutjens gets that additional reload speed, I mean it certainly makes you shoot every 20-22s normally, which is pretty darn spicy, but hard to proc and impossible in training rooms :'(.  

I wonder if reload build GK is actually entirely viable now.....hmmmm.

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,981 posts
8,933 battles
28 minutes ago, Chain_shot said:

There is a German build section in it.

What does it discuss if I may ask? I am on mobile.

[46856]
Members
1,923 posts
1 minute ago, Maine_ARC_1 said:

What does it discuss if I may ask? I am on mobile.

Commander builds for BB's and whats best for the lines.

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,981 posts
8,933 battles
Just now, Chain_shot said:

Commander builds for BB's and whats best for the lines.

What was the opinion on german bb's?

[46856]
Members
1,923 posts

I think you should watch the video you will get an unfiltered perspective that way.

[PVE]
Members
7,877 posts
23,863 battles
1 hour ago, Chain_shot said:

I think you should watch the video you will get an unfiltered perspective that way.

Can you give us an estimated time stamp on the video where he starts talking about German builds in particular?

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,981 posts
8,933 battles
3 hours ago, Chain_shot said:

So I watched the german bit. Now I am curious as to why you posted it. Part of me is thinking that you are just throwing Flamu in my face and saying "here, listen to ship jesus". This build I listed is a main battery brawler, an alternative to "muh secondaries".

• Meh 1

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,981 posts
8,933 battles
3 hours ago, pepe_trueno said:

odds are you will be dead well before geting within secondary range or enemy will simply run away.

You aren't using secondaries in this build, the idea is to use the range to proc TGG,

[46856]
Members
1,923 posts
1 hour ago, Maine_ARC_1 said:

So I watched the german bit. Now I am curious as to why you posted it. Part of me is thinking that you are just throwing Flamu in my face and saying "here, listen to ship jesus". This build I listed is a main battery brawler, an alternative to "muh secondaries".

yes and he went over that about German bb's and what to take if not going brawler even mention trying to use dead eye and not taking extended sec range as well. Just taking fire prevention the new version of super-intendant   and maybe stealth or gun reload to do it. Not sure how you missed that under german bb's.

So I threw nothing in your face.

• Thanks 1

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles

How doable is 120 Main battery hits in an actual match? Cuz I moved Lütjens to Hindy.

Members
676 posts
5,358 battles
4 hours ago, Maine_ARC_1 said:

You aren't using secondaries in this build, the idea is to use the range to proc TGG,

i am confused what is TGG? If you mean top grade gunner that skill is for cruisers not battleships. You probably mean close quarter combat.

anyway same old problem of expectation meets reality, You spec into a secondary build hybrid but wont get into close range for the most part of the game and when you finaly get the oportunity to close the gap without geting focused and killed in seconds the huge disparity between your concealment (14.28km) and your secondary range to proc close quarters (10.46 km) means enemy ships will have plenty of time to kite away. Finaly a battleship that can use lutjens main battery reload boost  on a regular basis is a pipe dream. 

Edited by pepe_trueno

Members
676 posts
5,358 battles

2 hours ago, WarStore said:

How doable is 120 Main battery hits in an actual match? Cuz I moved Lütjens to Hindy.

last time i check it was 140 main battery hits so not very often on any gun with a reload of over 12 secs

[OO7]
242 posts
9,900 battles
10 hours ago, WarStore said:

In GK140 hits is going to take a long game at mid range landing most of your salvoes. This was more just an exercise in pure theory crafting. He's certainly going to fulfill that requirement far more often in Hindy. 

[CAAT]
Members
1,030 posts
4,626 battles
18 hours ago, ToxicSymphony said:

image.thumb.png.f7cbae039beac425b8bcec3d4bc4541d.png

Something like this?

Some other fun tidbits from my testing at the time: 

image.thumb.png.92161596fe2aa2bffad0838ac5fa2392.png

image.thumb.png.cb43da2180d8c7e562863b39ff0ea66d.png

The enemy trying to kill you:

Image result for missed it by that much gif

[OO7]
242 posts
9,900 battles
16 minutes ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

The enemy trying to kill you:

Image result for missed it by that much gif

The true embodiment of "call an ambulance, call an ambulance!. .. But not for me" as you out reload the cruiser who thought you were dead 

Members
208 posts
5,097 battles

The situations in which you can get such low reloads are like 1 in a 1000. In practice it is pretty irrelevant. Besides, every battleship should be taking mbm3 anyways and can acheive pretty similar reloads. There is nothing remarkable about the GK in particular.