You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Digital_Wind

Match Maker fix

21 comments in this topic

[KAG]
Members
203 posts
10,749 battles

Would you be willing to wait 1 minute longer in exchange for a MM of only +/-1 Teir instead of 2?

• Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
12,640 posts
19,907 battles
Just now, Digital_Wind said:

Would you be willing to wait 1 minute longer in exchange for a MM of only +/-1 Teir instead of 2?

No.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 3

[D-H-O]
-Members-
65 posts
623 battles
2 minutes ago, Digital_Wind said:

NOPE! But I DO welcome the increased income due to shooting at higher tier ships!

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
979 battles
11 minutes ago, Digital_Wind said:

They actually use +/- 1 in wowp. However, the mm wait times are usually over 1 min and there's mostly bots.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,843 posts
4,285 battles
10 minutes ago, Lose_dudes said:

They actually use +/- 1 in wowp. However, the mm wait times are usually over 1 min and there's mostly bots.

Pretty sure that's an overall WOWP problem and not MM:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
979 battles
1 minute ago, AJTP89 said:

Pretty sure that's an overall WOWP problem and not MM:Smile_teethhappy:

Yeah. Although, frankly, tier difference is less apparent if it weren't for bombers. There could be a b-32 on one team and a pe-2 on the other if it was +/-2. 

[FRR]
Members
862 posts
27 minutes ago, Digital_Wind said:

Yes. 

I think it is time. 

But then again, that will never guarantee anyone a better chance of winning because of so many variables.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Members
4,349 posts
3,255 battles
18 minutes ago, Lose_dudes said:

WOWP has its own balancing challenges unique to the game. If you did +2/-2 you would have jets flying against P40s  and it wouldn't be pretty. And P40s against biplanes. It would be a slaughter. +1/-1 makes sense there

The problem isn't +2/-2 for WOWS; it's how many times your bottom tier.

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
979 battles
2 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

WOWP has its own balancing challenges unique to the game. If you did +2/-2 you would have jets flying against P40s  and it wouldn't be pretty. And P40s against biplanes. It would be a slaughter. +1/-1 makes sense there

The problem isn't +2/-2 for WOWS; it's how many times your bottom tier.

Well, actually, the only t7 jet is the meteor, and the p-40 could probably outturn a meteor. Tiers in wowp are split into historical periods, so you won't see most jets until period 3, or t8. DIfferent things matter in wowp, so yeah. I don't really know about wows. I only recently found out cruisers have torpedoes.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,353 posts
19,362 battles

No.  I like the +/- 2.  Have lots of really fun games being down two tiers. 

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[FEM]
Members
2,107 posts
17,376 battles

Some of my best and favorite games were bottom tier. Makes for a much more dynamic battle often, issue is more the mindset of players to just throw in the towel when bottom tier.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,843 posts
4,285 battles

To answer OP's question, it depends on what the base MM time is. Sometimes I get a match in less than 20sec. In that case adding another minute would be fine. But just as often the MM wait is over a minute. At that point I'm not willing to wait another minute for a match, and I suspect I'm far more patient than most of the playerbase. It boils down to total wait time. A minute I'm fine. Start pushing 2 minutes and I'm starting to get annoyed. So it's not a matter of this will add another minute, it's a matter of what will the total wait time be. And from queue times I've seen lately adding another minute would be pushing over 2 minutes.

There's other considerations too. My guess is that to do the +/- MM other MM rules would be relaxed, and I'm not sure that would be an improvement. CVs at even tiers only then also start becoming more of an issue.

Finally there's the fact that ships are balanced around a +/-2 spread. Yanking in the ranges changes that. Not significantly but enough to matter I think. T8 now doesn't see T10 or T6, I suspect that a ship equipped for T10 might be a bit overtuned now that it suddenly sees T7 a lot more. And of course credit earning takes a hit. People might not like the new MM so much when they start literally paying for it.

So changing MM isn't as simple as adding a minute to MM queue time, the wait time equation is more complex, MM changes more than you might think, and ship balance is definitely affected. This is why WG balances the game, and not the playerbase.

That said, I wouldn't mind WG looking into it. Their stance has always been no. But there are definitely problems with +/-2 MM. I don't think it would hurt for WG to at least look into it and test it out, or if they already have tell us the outcome. I think there are problems with a +/-1 MM, but +/-2 isn't perfect and at least considering the other system would be good IMO.

Edited by AJTP89

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,784 posts
6,023 battles
1 hour ago, Digital_Wind said:

No.  In fact I wouldn't opt for a +/-1 MM over the +/-2 MM if it were 1 minute less wait time for it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,934 posts
14,885 battles

No, if this was WoT I would agree because of how top tier tanks are pretty much invulnerable to bottom tier tanks. Yes, there are some ships that struggle as bottom tier, stock hulls with no upgrades mostly, but preferred MM would handle those ships.

[SALVO]
Members
26,139 posts
29,178 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

No, if this was WoT I would agree because of how top tier tanks are pretty much invulnerable to bottom tier tanks. Yes, there are some ships that struggle as bottom tier, stock hulls with no upgrades mostly, but preferred MM would handle those ships.

It's also worth noting that WoT has a much larger player base and could arguably support using a +/-1 tier MM.   And yet WG hasn't made this change even for WoT after all these years.

[SALVO]
Members
7,067 posts
5,529 battles
2 hours ago, Digital_Wind said:

no

• Meh 1

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
618 posts
12,522 battles

No

Of all the issues the game may have +/-2 MM is really low on the list.

[O_O]
Members
6,974 posts
16,993 battles

No.  +/- 2 tiers is not a problem.

I would prefer to see MM fixed by limiting CV's to 1 per team, and balancing the number of radar ships per team.