Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tangofan

Buy Elite Commander XP for 107 silver per ECXP point. Good deal or not?

22 comments in this topic

[BTLST]
Members
132 posts
4,301 battles

When you recruit a new commander, you can purchase a 6 point commander for 900k silver. When you dismiss him/her, one option is to convert 25% of the 37k experience into Elite Commander XP (ECXP) for 92.5k silver.

So you would effectively spend 992.5k silver to get 9250 ECXP, which comes to about 107 silver per ECXP point.

Is that a good deal or not? Or am I missing something here, when evaluating this transaction?

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,839 posts
4,771 battles

Totally depends on how many Credits you have.  After a certain point, they're worthless for anything else.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,654 posts
10,670 battles

I don't know about you but I need every bit of my 200mil in silver for something..... important... at some point.....maybe.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
10,932 posts
18,944 battles

Like the duck said, if you have a lot, then do it, for me credits are the needed commodity. I don't sell ships.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[TIMT]
Members
1,414 posts
4,969 battles

I mean, you have to put it into perspective. Even if you have a lot of silver, how much would you need to get to your goal?

Retraining: 10pt captain needs 12500 xp, so that would be around 1.4M. Not too bad, given that modules in total cost around 7M for a T9/10 ship. At 21pt it is 300k xp, which is 32.1M. Just for retraining. Maybe...

Training captains? Well, for a 10pt captain that is about 19.6M credits. For 1.2M xp (17pt captain, or the amount needed to go from 19 to 21) that is about 128.4M credits (plus quite a long time of clicking etc.). 2.9M xp will cost you 311M, give or take. Hard pass on that.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,671 posts
25,163 battles

56 minutes ago, tangofan said:

When you recruit a new commander, you can purchase a 6 point commander for 900k silver. When you dismiss him/her, one option is to convert 25% of the 37k experience into Elite Commander XP (ECXP) for 92.5k silver.

So you would effectively spend 992.5k silver to get 9250 ECXP, which comes to about 107 silver per ECXP point.

Is that a good deal or not? Or am I missing something here, when evaluating this transaction?

I considered doing this since I had a huge amount of credits but finally decided it probably wasn't worth it. The big reason for me is because with the rework, my focus has changed to using my legendary captains only and mostly using premium ships. I boosted all of them to 21 points so every game I play with them goes to ECXP. If you have a 21 pointer or one that is close where you can boost them up, mine is the better strategy. Now if you are credit rich but XP poor, you may be able to make it work but I would only do it to get one captain as it is far too expensive to do it for multiples. 

In the end, the decision is up to you. If you can replace credits faster than you can spend them on your plan, it could work. If you are playing at mid tiers and about to unlock higher tier ships, you may end up not being able to purchase them or the upgrades. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 2

[-VT-]
Members
811 posts
35,885 battles

What I found is that with the rework I had a bunch of captains sitting in reserve doing nothing and with little prospect of their doing anything.

So I kept one or two captains in reserve for each nation and dismissed the rest.

20+ captains turned in their pink slips and departed, mostly 6 and 10 pointers.

Reaped a bunch of elite captain xp.

Did it cost a few credits?  Yes.  Was it it worth it?  Oh heck yes!

I now have five unique commanders at 21points to command my ships.  US, Japan, Russia, France, Euro done.  UK in process presently.

• Cool 1

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles

Nothing concerning the rework is a good deal in terms of getting back to where you were.

if you have the credits go ahead, but once you do you will no longer have the credits, so be sure you wont want to buy a new ship or module any time soon.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,671 posts
25,163 battles
29 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

if you have the credits go ahead, but once you do you will no longer have the credits, so be sure you wont want to buy a new ship or module any time soon.

IMHO this was kind of the point of the rework, to drain resources of the players whether it was ECXP, doubloons, or credits & to increase the grind. Now I like the mechanic personally (selling captains) but I am a bit offended you only get 25%. I think it would have been more fair at the same price for 50% XP and even though I sold them willingly, I feel robbed of my hard earned XP. 

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
54 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

IMHO this was kind of the point of the rework, to drain resources of the players whether it was ECXP, doubloons, or credits & to increase the grind. Now I like the mechanic personally (selling captains) but I am a bit offended you only get 25%. I think it would have been more fair at the same price for 50% XP and even though I sold them willingly, I feel robbed of my hard earned XP. 

Totally agree, but as evidenced by the latest recruiting drive - literally paying people to play the game - i dont think it’s a winning strategy.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,689 posts
27,443 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

Not working here.

Since 09/15 I’ve never dismissed a captain, and I don’t plan to start doing so anytime soon. (Not even the doubles and a few triples of the ARPs I have.)

I’ve not seen any benefit to the skill rework so far, to the point I wondered why I was even worried about pushing up to 21 points with any of my captains, (I could get at least 4 immediately.)

If the skill rework was supposed to be a resource drain, it failed miserably with regards to this particular player.

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
2,098 posts
27,660 battles

1.2 million to get from 19 - 21, equates to 128 million silver... pass.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,671 posts
25,163 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not working here.

Since 09/15 I’ve never dismissed a captain, and I don’t plan to start doing so anytime soon. (Not even the doubles and a few triples of the ARPs I have.)

I’ve not seen any benefit to the skill rework so far, to the point I wondered why I was even worried about pushing up to 21 points with any of my captains, (I could get at least 4 immediately.)

If the skill rework was supposed to be a resource drain, it failed miserably with regards to this particular player.

I understand the sentiment honestly and I can not say I blame you. For me, just in a weird spot with a half billion credits and a lot of ships I never play save for the snowflakes. What the rework did for me was to refocus what I was doing with the game. I sold almost every single captain I had save for the special/unique/legendary captains and a few high pointers I had in tech tree ships that I enjoy playing. I replaced them with zero and 6 pointers depending on whether it was a ship I may have a need to play or not (again, save for snowflakes). I am no longer grinding towards tier 10 at except for Yamato (because I have a free perm camo for her) and only grinding thru tier 8 for everyone else. Once I unlock the tier 9, I buy it, assign a zero point captain, and am done. I am doing that for all cruiser lines, most BB lines, and only a couple of DD lines. I have bailed completely on CVs except for the two tier 6s I have in port. Almost none of the tech tree ships will get play time in my port. For me, the skill rework was the kick in the head to play more efficiently. I no longer am interested in buying perm camos for tiers 8-10 and because of that, have no more need of premium time. For me now it is all about getting coal to get the last two legendary captains and after that, having fun and ignoring the grind. In a related note, because of the crappy contents of the Holiday crates, I no longer am interested in grinding for the tier 10 freemiums available. Funny how changes to the game have made me spend less. Who woulda thought that?

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 3

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,164 posts
4,311 battles
37 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Funny how changes to the game have made me spend less. Who woulda thought that?

For me this started with the CV rework. Randoms became less fun, especially at the mid tiers where I used to hang out, so I moved to mostly co-op and operations. 

Since co-op is financially challenging at high tiers, and operations are confined to tier 6 and 7, that's where I've focused my time.

Not as much need for credits as I'm not really grinding new ships, not as much need for flags or special camos for the same reason.

Honestly though it made the game more fun for me by for the most part eliminating the grind.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,843 posts
10,997 battles
5 hours ago, Sabene said:

What I found is that with the rework I had a bunch of captains sitting in reserve doing nothing and with little prospect of their doing anything.

So I kept one or two captains in reserve for each nation and dismissed the rest.

20+ captains turned in their pink slips and departed, mostly 6 and 10 pointers.

Reaped a bunch of elite captain xp.

Did it cost a few credits?  Yes.  Was it it worth it?  Oh heck yes!

I now have five unique commanders at 21points to command my ships.  US, Japan, Russia, France, Euro done.  UK in process presently.

I cleared out my reserve of anything 6 points and below (because I can now buy a 6 pt captain).  I don't think I would buy any just to convert though.  It would take too long.

[FORM]
Members
312 posts
2,214 battles
6 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Totally depends on how many Credits you have.  After a certain point, they're worthless for anything else.

Exactly. The value of something all depends on how much of something you have. To "melt" a 19pt commander so that you can use his Capt XP for helping other commanders to get up to 21 costs a little over $60 USD in doubloons. I'm sure there's some folks who think that's a fine way to spend $60. I'm not one of them, but they must be out there.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,843 posts
10,997 battles
3 hours ago, Efros said:

1.2 million to get from 19 - 21, equates to 128 million silver... pass.

Looks at my 500 million silver pile.

Must resist temptation.

[PVE]
Members
5,119 posts
22,671 battles
6 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I considered doing this since I had a huge amount of credits but finally decided it probably wasn't worth it. The big reason for me is because with the rework, my focus has changed to using my legendary captains only and mostly using premium ships. I boosted all of them to 21 points so every game I play with them goes to ECXP. If you have a 21 pointer or one that is close where you can boost them up, mine is the better strategy. Now if you are credit rich but XP poor, you may be able to make it work but I would only do it to get one captain as it is far too expensive to do it for multiples. 

In the end, the decision is up to you. If you can replace credits faster than you can spend them on your plan, it could work. If you are playing at mid tiers and about to unlock higher tier ships, you may end up not being able to purchase them or the upgrades. 

Spot on.  Same here.  The heck with the rest of my 19 pointers.....  And, stopped spending anything on this game and that includes credits...!!!    OK, we'll keep playing this degraded mode game and use 5 or 6 CPT's all day long.......  What that will do to the game has yet to be determined; because, along with that "Special CPTs & Premium Ship" only paradigm, all of the economy of trying to advance our 19 point CPT's has been suspended as well.   Our host has, by doing something very silly, has now alienated a very mature player base that really has more choices than our host imagines..........and, many of us are now, actively pursuing those choices.....  Dumb.

You have the best solution for older players.   Play with what you have.  I have one more 21 pointer to promote and I am done as well.  

Edited by Asym_KS
  • Cool 1

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,164 posts
4,311 battles

This topic along with a few others has gotten me thinking about how many unused ships and captains I actually have.

Can't change the Dasha voiceover to english? Poof, turn her into Capt XP.

Don't like the "screaming anime school girl" voice of the ARP captains? Poof, more Capt XP.

Need credits? Sell unused ships while the equipment dismount if still free, reclaiming credits while saving gold.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense to have 1-2 tech tree ships I enjoy per nation and use my premiums to fill out my fleet, just bounce my captains around as needed. (Been playing a long [edited]time, I think I'm up around 30 premium ships at this point, mostly earned thru missions).

Its actually far more relaxing now that I'm not trying to push for tier 10 in a bunch of lines, or worrying about randoms or competitive modes. Playing ops, co-op, and the occasional mid tier random is a lot more enjoyable, for me at least.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,671 posts
25,163 battles
33 minutes ago, dechion said:

This topic along with a few others has gotten me thinking about how many unused ships and captains I actually have.

Can't change the Dasha voiceover to english? Poof, turn her into Capt XP.

Don't like the "screaming anime school girl" voice of the ARP captains? Poof, more Capt XP.

Need credits? Sell unused ships while the equipment dismount if still free, reclaiming credits while saving gold.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense to have 1-2 tech tree ships I enjoy per nation and use my premiums to fill out my fleet, just bounce my captains around as needed. (Been playing a long [edited]time, I think I'm up around 30 premium ships at this point, mostly earned thru missions).

Its actually far more relaxing now that I'm not trying to push for tier 10 in a bunch of lines, or worrying about randoms or competitive modes. Playing ops, co-op, and the occasional mid tier random is a lot more enjoyable, for me at least.

Exactly this. I would caution about selling any tier 5+ ships since they still have value for snowflake events. Remember you do not need a captain any more to use a ship although that is not a good move. IMHO you sell the captains off for XP and replace them with a zero pointer for free. The reason you want to do this is that #1 you will get the 5% ECXP bonus if you have a captain on a ship and #2 they act as XP sinks so if you do manage to get around to play the ship for whatever reason, you may get a few skills and you can sell them off when it suits you for the XP. Seems a no brainer to me. I do recommend removing all equipment now while it is free because to farm snowflakes with ships, you can do it easily in co-op with a zero point captain and a ship with no upgrade modules. All that matters there is your skill in the boat. Remember you get like 500 coal for a tier 6 ship (IIRC) snowflake. That is 550 coal if you are in a clan. You want it in order to get the legendary captains and the free premium ships. Same goes for steel rewards for tier 8 & 9 ships, don't sell them off, use them to farm the steel rewards. The nice thing about steel is if there isn't a steel ship you want, you can convert it to coal at a 1 steel to 10 coal ratio. Tier 10 seems to be the loser in all of this. All you get for having those is a Santa's crate and for many players like me, that just translates into a few camos or signal flags for the most part. It seems pointless to add to the dozen or so tier 10s I have now for such a small return especially considering what you have to do in order to grind to tier 10 or the expense of the ship in other resources like coal, steel, or FXP. Once I have all the special captains and all the special ship upgrade modules that are sold for coal, then I maybe bother getting another premium ship. I have 250ish ships in my port, about half of those are premiums. 

Members
978 posts
4,702 battles

Another thing to take into consideration is time, and the quality of gameplay you seek when you can play.

For example, I have little in the way of game-time so if I needed to recruit a new commander and start it from zero I would probably spend those credits... of course at this stage I have commanders for every nation so I do not foresee the need of doing so.

Sign in to follow this