You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

Just for clarifications sake ( commanders )

16 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
2,709 posts

Before I pull the trigger on the two special commanders for 350K of my 457K of my coal I want to be 100% sure about a couple of things.

1) No surprise coal ships that are coming that are to " Die for "

2)  The best way to work the new skills program is to move the best commanders to  a TECH tree ship that you love and THEN you can use it in any Premium or special ( same nation ) at will with no cost. ( most confused about this part ) 

I have only maxxed out 2 commanders, Jerzy and Yamamoto

I have enough to max out 2 more 19 pointers when the time is right ( Halsey and Cunningham prob but I have others ) 

Most importantly is 1 and 2 correct?

Input as always is much appreciated.

Col Standing by..........

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,028 posts
14,044 battles

Honestly, I am of the opinion that the historical commanders are way overpriced when it comes to coal prices. 175k coal for a commander? I don't care how good their talents are, not when that's nearly how much a ship costs.

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
1,138 posts
23,142 battles

Not sure of your warships tastes @Col_Nasty, but there is the possibility that the Marco Polo T9 RM BB MAY Possibly be a coal ship. 

As for #2, I have Halsey on the Des Moines, and he captains all 3 of my USN BB ships (secondary builds), the PR, Alaska, and Anchorage.  I do not have any premium DDs or CVs, but it costs me nothing to move him around these BBs and CAs.  Luetjens' home is the GK and he does the Pommern, Tirpitz, Odin, Sharnhorst, Prinz Eugen and the Z39.  Again it costs me nothing.

The thing to remember is that your commander can only handle 'one build' per ship line.  In my example above, Halsey could not command both the Ohio (secondary build) AND the Alabama as a survival build.  Both ships would need to be survival or secondary.

• Thanks 1

[GOB]
Members
2,709 posts
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Kartoffel said:

Depends on which two commanders they are and how many premium ships you would be able to use them on.

Kuznetsov and Lutjens and I have over 100 premiums. each will be well traveled. 

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
477 posts
20,732 battles
15 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Even with the skill rework they're both worth it in my opinion. It shouldn't take you too long to recoup the coal and any new ships coming to the Armory will be around long enough to give you time to get if you want.

• Cool 1

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,028 posts
14,044 battles
21 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Kuznetsovs Will to Victory talent is overpowered, especially on Russian battleships, so he'd get a lot of use.

Lutjens has special talents dedicated to basically every German ship type; buffs to secondary reload after 100 secondary hits, buffs to main battery reload, etc.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,271 posts
12,232 battles
29 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

@Col_Nasty I have said it before it's so hard to press that button 175K for a commander it almost killed me . But if your good enough to activate there talents then yes especially with all those premiums you have . I have them both and there good unfortunately I'm not .

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 1

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,016 posts
7,796 battles

As far as the Coal ships, I don't think we really know, as they can drop new ships on us within about a month of testing.  We know we're still waiting for the hybrids (Tone' ), and possibly Kitakami (though the number of people who actually want to play the ship is anyone's speculation...it tended to attract CVs).  None of the ones I have seen upcoming really interest me, so it's fairly individual as to which ships are 'must have'.

Since you can have a commander assigned to one tech tree ship and then move them to whichever Premium/Special of their nation you want, I've found the best strategy for your main commander if you know you want that commander for a specific Premium/Special that will require certain skills, -don't- assign them to a tech tree ship of the same type.  Find another tech tree ship of a different type you want them on, so the required skills you need on the Tech tree ship don't impact the ones on the Premium.  Assign another commander to cover the Premium types of the kind your main is assigned, so you have the best flexibility without running into trouble needing skills that are required by the tech tree ship they are assigned to.  Lastly, try to have a 'theme' for the commander, so you don't lose track of which commander you set up for which Premium if you have many.

My two cents.

Edit:  Also, if you do Clan battles, please note that WG changed all Special Commanders so their unique traits do not activate in Clan Battles.  Previously, this was a balancing factor for Nikolay Kuznetzov to explain why he gained extremely useful skills while commanders like Yamamoto and Halsey were assigned abilities that almost never triggered (of course, no Russian bais there), but it seems they have decided all unique commanders should have this feature, and who cares about balance.  So, don't go on the assumption those abilities will be there in any Clan battles.

Edited by Jakob_Knight
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
1,144 posts
9,607 battles

Commanders work well on premium/special ships. I maxed out the Dunkirk brother I had on Jutland and he works on Thunderer marvelously. 

A Fiji commander would not work as well on London though.

Personally I would buy one commander now and wait on #2 until we know what new ship is going to cost what resource.

Edited by MasterDiggs

[PVE]
Members
7,905 posts
23,881 battles
2 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

Before I pull the trigger on the two special commanders for 350K of my 457K of my coal I want to be 100% sure about a couple of things.

1) No surprise coal ships that are coming that are to " Die for "

2)  The best way to work the new skills program is to move the best commanders to  a TECH tree ship that you love and THEN you can use it in any Premium or special ( same nation ) at will with no cost. ( most confused about this part ) 

I have only maxxed out 2 commanders, Jerzy and Yamamoto

I have enough to max out 2 more 19 pointers when the time is right ( Halsey and Cunningham prob but I have others ) 

Most importantly is 1 and 2 correct?

Input as always is much appreciated.

Col Standing by..........

I'd wait to see what (if any) changed to the new skills are announced for the update before getting either.

The (any/if) announcement should be made the day before the update (if not before) in Dasha's update video.

You will still be able to get the cheap retrain discount (50 doubloons) at that time to assign it to the tech tree ship you plan on putting them on...but you will know if the commanders (either/or both) will have any changes that might adversely affect them before potentially wasting your coal on something that has "nerfed" stats (mainly referring to changes to the skills they alter...their special talents shouldn't be affected by anything in that regard) compared to what you thought you were buying.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[VAE]
Members
20 posts
25,086 battles

OK I too am confused about the shifting around of commanders between tech tree ships. Some shifts I seem to be able to do without any retraining, but others like the example below seem to need retraining with associated doubloon cost? I just retrained on St Louis & had a game in her, then shifted her back to Kleber, now to shift back I need to cough up again???

image.thumb.png.b4c357052c48461e309bf09454a48b0b.png

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,016 posts
7,796 battles
1 hour ago, Stenzo01 said:

OK I too am confused about the shifting around of commanders between tech tree ships. Some shifts I seem to be able to do without any retraining, but others like the example below seem to need retraining with associated doubloon cost? I just retrained on St Louis & had a game in her, then shifted her back to Kleber, now to shift back I need to cough up again???

image.thumb.png.b4c357052c48461e309bf09454a48b0b.png

A given commander can only be trained in one tech tree ship at a time (though if you have 5 commanders, you could have all 5 trained to the same tech tree ship).  To command any other tech tree ship with that same commander, you need to pay the cost to retrain them before their commander skills function on that ship.  That payment can be in the form of Elite XP or doubloons for a full retrain.  However, once assigned to another Tech tree ship (even if retraining is not complete), they will lose their training for the former ship they were on (remember, only one tech tree ship for a given commander at any one time).

However, a given commander can be assigned to any Premium or Special ship of their nation without retraining for it.  Their skills will work at full effect (since they are not required to retrain), and they will retain the training for whichever tech tree ship they are assigned to.  Thus, every commander you have of a nation can be placed in any Premium or Special ship of that nation.   Also, the xp they earn in a Premium or Special ship contributes to any retraining XP they need to earn, so as an example, if Commander Harold Stiles needs 4000 xp to complete their retraining in the Leander, they could be placed into a Warspite and earn 4000 xp there.  When they were returned to Leander, they would be fully retrained because they earned enough commander xp in the Warspite to pay off the retraining cost for Leander.

Special ships are designated by having gold palm branches around a white ship icon, while Premium ships have both the palm branches and the ship icon as gold.  Tech tree ships have white palm branches and ship symbol.

So if you switched from a Premium/Special ship to the tech tree ship the commander was previously trained to, then there would be no cost as no retraining would be needed.  If you switched from the tech tree ship to a Special/Premium ship, there would be no cost as well.  If, however,  you switched the commander from one tech tree ship to another tech tree ship, then you would have to pay the retraining cost (in stored Elite XP, doubloons, or by earning xp playing the ship with the commander aboard it). 

Edited by Jakob_Knight

[VAE]
Members
20 posts
25,086 battles

Awesome thank you! Now I get it, although a bit bummed that I can’t have 1 each of each class of tech tree ship like I thought I could. 

[RAGE]
Members
2,004 posts
9,099 battles

Waffling between Cunningham and Kuznetsov.  With the 50 doubloon retrain fee going on, I'm going to spend the coal on one or the other before it's over. 

Cunningham seems ideal for Thunderer.  -10% reload for Witherer, and +1 consumables for killing 2 ships.  Unfortunately none of my other British tech tree ships are past T6, and Nelson my only other RN premium. 

OTOH Kuznetsov's heal buff is pretty attractive, and I could use on Kremlin, Moskva, and Smolensk. 

[O2]
Members
457 posts
10,034 battles

I would buy both commanders in a heartbeat. The new skills system allows much better use of unique commanders and you can refine each to each ship type. If you have 100 premiums already it makes the decision even more simple to me. I wish I had your discipline to not spend coal.