Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Anonymous50

Current Research Bureaus Ships - Which Good for PVE

12 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
2,338 posts

So I decided to be a bit of a masochist and spend the next few months doing some lines over again in the Research Bureau.

There are lots of discussions about what RB ships are worth getting for Random.

Any suggestions what RB ships are best for PVE?   

[WOLF3]
Members
29,787 posts
25,727 battles

The only one I would handily say is outright good out of RB is Ohio.

Everything else is dubious:

Slava is certainly good... For PVP.  Long range combat rules Random Battles and Slava is built for that.  In Co-Op, we brawl 95% of the time.  I have Slava.  I even brawl with her.  But she's not optimal for it.  Kremlin is actually much better for the reality of Co-Op combat than Slava ever will be.

Siegfried's luster has dwindled with the Skill Rebork.  Agir actually caught up quite a lot.  I mean, she should still be fine, you got 380mm guns on Cruiser accuracy, but my enthusiasm for her is nowhere near what it used to be compared to before the Skill Rebork.  Her star has fallen from the sky.

Colbert got smashed in the teeth with a chain wrapped, spiked baseball bat with the Skill Rebork.

Paolo Emilio I'm not sure about.  Destroyers and Battleships tend to rule Co-Op, though.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Thanks 1

[CO-OP]
Members
2,782 posts
28,250 battles

Paolo Emilio is a lot of fun and relatively cheap. 

If you want a battleship, I would take the Ohio over Slava.  If you prefer cruisers, I would go Siegfried over Colbert.  These two choices are predicated on my preference to get close to the enemy (5-10 kms or less if you want to use Siegfried's torpedoes.)  Slava is better if you want to snipe at range. 

• Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
10,910 posts
18,866 battles

Ohio. 36 battles over 120,000 HP of damage average.

Ohio   Ohio 10 U.S.A. 36 94.44% 2 146 120 565 1.89 4.5
Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
1,144 posts
9,607 battles

I haven't played Ohio, but if you can angle Thunderer slays in Coop so Ohio should be good to go as well

[K-POP]
Members
4,843 posts
13,357 battles

Ohio would definitely be the top choice in my opinion. Good guns, tanky enough to not get deleted, and it wasn’t hurt too much by the skill rework. Its secondary build is still viable, plus the close quarters skill that improves main battery reload when in secondary range is pretty much always active unless everything on your flank is dead. 

Paolo Emilio would be my next choice, since destroyers with good guns and torps are always strong in co-op. The Yolo Emilio playstyle of randoms works really well for it in co-op too - full speed toward the enemy, murder whatever DD comes to your side, and then shove a full load of torps into the battleships. 

Siegfried can still be effective with the 380mm guns (25mm overmatch which covers a lot of the cruisers you’ll see) and great accuracy, and the torps are still usable at close range, but it’s definitely lost some of its appeal with the rework. In some ways, with how co-op works, Agir may be the better choice now with the better secondaries and faster main battery reload. 

Slava is definitely a long range ship that’s a great fit in randoms where those kinds of engagements are common. But in co-op where everything is close, most of the other battleship options will probably be better choices.

Colbert has always been more of a randoms ship as well. Fast firing guns are great at racking up damage and setting fires when you have lots of targets and tend to be slightly farther back, but in co-op the lack of torps to deal with big targets can be a problem. That’s not to say you can’t kill battleships in co-op with small guns (I’ve done it with Smolensk and Friesland a decent amount) or that torps are essential on cruisers (DM, Worcester, and Moskva definitely prove otherwise), but for me I’d rather have torps or better ballistics/pen than the slightly faster reload. 

• Thanks 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,615 posts
27,321 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Colbert got smashed in the teeth with a chain wrapped, spiked baseball bat with the Skill Rebork.

It met Negan...

Negan-JDM_TWD.png

[WOLF3]
Members
29,787 posts
25,727 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

It met Negan...

Negan-JDM_TWD.png

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Even before the Skill Rebork, I never thought too highly of Colbert.  Honestly, seeing how both Colbert & Smolensk were being developed as test ships, I was very surprised Colbert was the RB ship and not the far superior Smolensk.  It was pretty boneheaded on WG's part and the spreadsheet was obviously wrong there.  Any player could have looked at those stats and tell you which would have been the fitting bait for Research Bureau.  But not WG.

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,366 posts
16,970 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The only one I would handily say is outright good out of RB is Ohio.

Everything else is dubious:

We already had too many premium ships belong to the Amerika ............. I just bough Slava last night  :Smile_trollface:

Ohio will be my 2 yrs target

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF3]
Members
29,787 posts
25,727 battles
19 hours ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

We already had too many premium ships belong to the Amerika ............. I just bough Slava last night  :Smile_trollface:

Ohio will be my 2 yrs target

I shamefully report that I did both.  Got Ohio much earlier and Slava a bit after she released.  I was saving up for Siegfried, last year she was looking d*mn good.  But when the Skill Rebork was announced and WG made their intentions clear, I was working on the RB points for Siegfried.

I am actually now past the required RB points to get Siegfried right now if I wanted, thanks to the Hizen Dockyard Buyout Missions Regrind.  But I haven't pulled the trigger.  I wanted to, but the Skill Rebork and with Agir now being actually quite good with her longer range secondaries matching Siegfried, the desire is no longer there.

• Thanks 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,338 posts

Thanks everybody - I enjoy co op in my Loyang with the mighty mighty manly man torps  with smoke so I'm looking at the Paolo.   The Ohio looks like a 2022 goal.   Although I'm getting the hang of cruisers now in Random while going back up a couple of lines,  I just don't see myself into Colbert or Seigfried.

Sign in to follow this