Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DarkGuerilla

Recommended Changes To Operation Defense of Naval Station Newport

7 comments in this topic

[SD-]
[SD-]
Members
2 posts
4,033 battles

Posting here for discussion and potential other recommended changes:

OPERATION DEFENSE OF NAVAL STATION NEWPORT RECOMMENDED CHANGE

This operation needs to be reworked. It isn't fun to play as there are many faults with it.
1. Tier 6 ships do not have the firepower or health necessary to deal with the waves that spawn.
2. The spawn time between waves is too short especially between waves 2 and 3.
3. Even if you prevent wave 3's 3 Destroyers from entering the base zone you will more than likely be unable to kill all the ships in whatever time was allotted before the FINAL wave spawns.
4. There are two repair ships that spawn around wave 2 that players can use to heal their ships, but that pulls them away from the fight and makes it impossible to kill wave 2 before time runs out and wave 3 spawns.
5. The "Gungan" Izumo a tier 9 spawns which will either eliminate the base from range or outright delete any tier 6 ship it shoots at.
6. The random spawn nature of the 3 waves leads to the players ending up out of position an unable to contribute firepower in some instances.
7. By the time the FINAL wave does spawn the players will either have a bunch of low health ships or won't have nearly enough ships to fight, or a combination of both.

Recommended solutions:
1. Make the mission tier 7. By far the simplest and easiest solution more than likely requiring less coding than any other option. This would allow players to use ships that have better firepower for dealing with the amount of enemies as well as. The Atlanta in particular would be great at dealing with wave 3 and the FINAL wave. Tier 7 BBs from any nation would still be able to deal with the T9 "Gungan" Izumo. This one change would make the Operation considerably more enjoyable.

2. More time consuming than option 1 and more complicated. Make coding changes to increase the spawn timer between waves 2 and 3, give more time to kill wave 3 and allow healing before FINAL wave, to facilitate healing make the base zone a healing zone, drop the Izumo for a lower tier Battleship. These changes would also make the Operation more enjoyable.

3. Not at all a great option but here nonetheless as part of the BCA process. Do nothing. This will mean the Operation remains impossible to 5 star except by maybe a team of unicum players. The Operation will continue to be unenjoyable by the average or lower skilled player.

4. Also not a good option, but remove the Operation from the game and/or replace it with something more easily complete-able and enjoyable.

It is my sincerest hope that something will be done about this particular Operation as all the other operations are quite reasonably complete-able and enjoyable.

• Cool 3

[KSC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,146 posts
12,236 battles
13 minutes ago, DarkGuerilla said:

This operation needs to be reworked. It isn't fun to play as there are many faults with it.
1. Tier 6 ships do not have the firepower or health necessary to deal with the waves that spawn.
3. Even if you prevent wave 3's 3 Destroyers from entering the base zone you will more than likely be unable to kill all the ships in whatever time was allotted before the FINAL wave spawns.
4. There are two repair ships that spawn around wave 2 that players can use to heal their ships, but that pulls them away from the fight and makes it impossible to kill wave 2 before time runs out and wave 3 spawns.
5. The "Gungan" Izumo a tier 9 spawns which will either eliminate the base from range or outright delete any tier 6 ship it shoots at.
6. The random spawn nature of the 3 waves leads to the players ending up out of position an unable to contribute firepower in some instances.
7. By the time the FINAL wave does spawn the players will either have a bunch of low health ships or won't have nearly enough ships to fight, or a combination of both.

Recommended solutions:
1. Make the mission tier 7. By far the simplest and easiest solution more than likely requiring less coding than any other option. This would allow players to use ships that have better firepower for dealing with the amount of enemies as well as. The Atlanta in particular would be great at dealing with wave 3 and the FINAL wave. Tier 7 BBs from any nation would still be able to deal with the T9 "Gungan" Izumo. This one change would make the Operation considerably more enjoyable.

2. More time consuming than option 1 and more complicated. Make coding changes to increase the spawn timer between waves 2 and 3, give more time to kill wave 3 and allow healing before FINAL wave, to facilitate healing make the base zone a healing zone, drop the Izumo for a lower tier Battleship. These changes would also make the Operation more enjoyable.

3. Not at all a great option but here nonetheless as part of the BCA process. Do nothing. This will mean the Operation remains impossible to 5 star except by maybe a team of unicum players. The Operation will continue to be unenjoyable by the average or lower skilled player.

4. Also not a good option, but remove the Operation from the game and/or replace it with something more easily complete-able and enjoyable.

It is my sincerest hope that something will be done about this particular Operation as all the other operations are quite reasonably complete-able and enjoyable.

To be fair, while the mission is quite punishing... it's actually quite doable.  Especially with a full group.

Personally, I run CVs.  I was able to get a 5 star with a random group of folks, though I think that happened over many attempts.

Once the German CV line was released, and AP rockets became available, the mission became significantly more consistent with the ability to help push damage through the first three waves.  The Loewenhardt is exceptional for this operation, and I recommend it as a training tool for those that are learning CVs.

[PVE]
Members
10,914 posts
18,892 battles

It needs to be for tier 7 ships, I just play Co op and a lot less during Newport week.

[SALVO]
Members
26,123 posts
29,108 battles
4 hours ago, DarkGuerilla said:

Recommended solutions:

Dude, you don't address the real issue with Newport Station.  And that's that the players don't know how to properly play the op in a way that will more effectively and efficiently destroy the enemy waves ASAP.  Most players just sit around and shoot at the bows of the incoming ships, which guarantees that they'll get fewer hits (since the profile will be far narrower) and they'll saturate the bows of those enemy ships.  Players need to move around and create broadside opportunities.  If a player is playing a fast tier 6 BB, such as the Dunkerque or PEF), maybe go outside of the inner harbor a bit and seek out those broadsides.  But don't go out too far and do NOT over extend.  Be close enough that you have time to fall back for repairs.

If I had a suggestion for a  change to the operation, it might be to make the final enemy wave's BB a tier 8 Amagi rather than a tier 9 Izumo.  Also, perhaps have the Allied relief force be stronger.

[MUG-T]
Members
344 posts
3,840 battles
On 2/4/2021 at 5:56 PM, Crucis said:

Also, perhaps have the Allied relief force be stronger.

Do you mean those 2 DDs? I'm pretty sure the largest force that shows up at the end doesn't even shoot.

[RST]
Members
53 posts
4,000 battles

Okay I played about 7 rounds last night. With random teams, I had 2 wins. I feel like something has changed. The bots paddled us hard! I don't remember them being so strong in the past. But lately, it seems alot harder.

And for those two DDs? In three matches last night, they spawned and then moved NORTH away from the battle area! After a little bit one of them came south just enough to be in it's extreme range to shoot at the enemy. Not much help at all. I remember them being a little more useful in the past.

Were the bots reprogrammed or something?

Edited by paulnola

Sign in to follow this