You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NavySWO

Commander XP (Are the upper levels too high?)

11 comments in this topic

[FFG33]
Members
437 posts
23,136 battles

I am enjoying the commander rework and I really like the diversity and challenges setting up each ship, I have over 415 so it is a lot of work!   The only concern I have is the amount of Commander XP required for levels 20 and 21.  We will see if this is workable but it seems awfully high!

Would it make sense to re-balance these levels to make them less daunting, especially for players that are new to the game.  It must seem overwhelming for a lot of players.

Any Thoughts...?

[WOLFG]
Members
11,796 posts
10,943 battles

It is a resource sink.

WG wants it to be overwhelming.

Personally, I think they went from asking for cookies to asking for bacon.

• Cool 2

[KWF]
Members
5,792 posts
7,007 battles

Based on the scaling of points 1-19 and CXP needed, the CXP needed from 19 till 21 should have been around 700-750k instead of 1.2mil. Make of that what you will.

Edited by warheart1992

[CO-OP]
Members
2,074 posts
27,572 battles
13 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

It is a resource sink.

WG wants it to be overwhelming.

Personally, I think they went from asking for cookies to asking for bacon.

More like the whole pig!

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,538 posts
22,303 battles
5 minutes ago, Efros said:

More like the whole pig!

isn't it a sounder?

[RLGN]
Members
15,657 posts
27,371 battles

What do I think?

Played my Leningrad last night. (10 points.)

Recommended skills didn’t seem too ridiculous, so decided to give them a shot.

(L1 turret speed skill, L2 IFHE, I think, L3 and 4 were range buffs.)

End effect of absolutely ZERO benefit.

Reset that garbage and put in something that is actually useful.

(L1 module survival buff, L2 PT, L3 the new  +1 consumable skill, L4 CE.)

What do I think?

There were other things the time wasted on this skill rework could have been better spent on. Maps, new game modes, QoL items.

So far, after 30-40 ships played, some with the rec skills, some with changed skills, I’ve seen little meaningful difference. If anything, the only real changes have been entirely negative.

A pointless exercise, as far as I’m concerned.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Meh 1

[_BDA_]
Members
491 posts
7,893 battles

I have just over 80 ships, many of which have been left behind as I grind my way down the tree.  No way am I wasting time fiddling with all of them to see what does best, and those of you talking about having over 400... good luck with that.

Worst change I've noticed is removing the hit point buff from battleships... now, any respectable cruiser has more points than many of my BBs.

[SIMP]
Members
1,641 posts

Yes. It's too high.

I am a coop main and it took me 4 years to get my first 19 point captain. 

The grind to 19 is roughly the same as from 19 to 21. WeeGee wants me to grind the equivelent of 4 years to get 2 points? Laughable.

(But some absolute lunatics do it, so WeeGee just keeps upping the anty).

Members
1,539 posts

I have 5 - 21 point captains, I have not trained them for any skills/ships.

As I see it my elite exp gained is the only reason for the Captain to be 21.

The skills don't affect how I play, A Naked Captain earns the same as a skilled captain so why fret over the skills that have little to no effect on earnings.

The only regret I have is before the reborked skills I had 18 elite captains earning elite exp.

I play Cruisers and BB's, before the rebork with each capt on his / her own assigned ship 18 capts 18 ships.

Now I play 25 ships with 5 captains untrained and earning elite exp just a tad faster.

I will wait to assign skills after the nerds have found the best builds.

[WPORT]
Members
8,118 posts
13,166 battles
2 hours ago, NavySWO said:

Commander XP (Are the upper levels too high?)

By NavySWO,

I am enjoying the commander rework and I really like the diversity and challenges setting up each ship, I have over 415 so it is a lot of work!   The only concern I have is the amount of Commander XP required for levels 20 and 21.  We will see if this is workable but it seems awfully high!

Would it make sense to re-balance these levels to make them less daunting, especially for players that are new to the game.  It must seem overwhelming for a lot of players.

Any Thoughts...?

The Captain's skills re-bork is a solution in search of a problem.
I don't like it.

Capabilities are more expensive, often for reduced effects.
All skills should be accessible by all ship types.  Not restricted to ship category menus.

Want to improve our situation?
Remove the "must have a tier-1 skill before getting a tier-2 skill and etc." requirements.
Make all skills accessible immediately.
If I have a low-point Commander, say six skill points, then I'd like to provide them with Last Stand and Concealment Expert so that they won't be at too great a disadvantage when facing high-point Commanders.
So long as I have the points, then I should be able to learn the skill, regardless of tier on the skill menu.
That would've been a welcome feature, in my opinion.

As a member of the "Collector's Club", this skill re-bork has been an administrative pain in the :etc_swear:.
As @Estimated_Prophet pointed out, there are aspects of this game that are more deserving of attention and programmer's time.
Scenario Operations.  Submarines.  And etc.  (And where are the Submarine Captain's skills, eh?)
As a Customer, I feel this re-bork has been a waste of *my* time.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,385 posts
17,319 battles
4 hours ago, NavySWO said:

it seems awfully high!

It is the one aspect of the Rework that I absolutely, incontrovertibly wish they would mitigate just a little. 

• Cool 1