You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ocoda

FDR is it just a bit OP?

28 comments in this topic

[PLDN]
Members
305 posts

It seems no matter how often i play with CV's in general they suck all the fun out of the Game anyways, but with the FDR and its 18+torpedoes attacks and average 12k on every strike its pretty assured your going to be playing a next round very soon. i understand fair and balance etc. etc. but really do you really enjoy playing games with CV's in them? 

Edited by Ocoda
spelling

[SGSS]
Members
5,816 posts
7 minutes ago, Ocoda said:

It seems no matter how often i play with CV's in general they suck all the fun out of the Game anyways, but with the FDR and its 18+torpedoes attacks and average 12k on every strike its pretty assured your going to be playing a next round very soon. i understand fair and balance etc. etc. but really do you really enjoy playing games with CV's in them? 

They get very few strikes in because of speed so its fine

• Meh 3

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,191 posts
6,446 battles

FDR is broken, period.

Image result for first time meme

• Meh 1

[KWF]
Members
5,832 posts
7,025 battles

To be honest the ease of spotting that FDR's high HP planes can give gets more annoying than the damage they are able to dish out at times.

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles
4 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

:Smile_facepalm:

[-ICE-]
Members
526 posts

Some CV's are ok but more then alot are way OP and the purples know what ones so thats the ones they get, they put a 21 pt capt in them and they just sit back and laugh seal clubbing everyone without even being spotted let alone sunk, they always the last left and more often then not at the top of the list. add Enterprize to the list, this is spelled wrong but Spiean or something like that.. and a few others are way OP   what the hell you can put better rudder, the best AA build and anything else offered and a purple Enterprize and others just laughs at it make 4 passes on you witth 4 hits, they never miss so ur ship is either sunk or nearly sunk and what maybe you shot down 6 or 7 of the squad of planes without doing any damage to the actual ship/player and he just goes in 2 seconds grabs more planes and seal clubs the next victim, its bullcrap and spiteful wow allows it rather then fix it.   I down their karma every time i even see one of the OP CV's

Edited by CRZY_TRAIN
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Members
2,070 posts
12,694 battles
18 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

You've obviously never seen Gaishu do one of his 200k in 10 minutes FDR challenges.

[-ICE-]
Members
526 posts

lol no doubt whoever put a thumbs down on my post is one of the problems, but they are allowed to hide and down posts just like they do in a OP CV

Edited by CRZY_TRAIN

[SGSS]
Members
5,816 posts
10 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

You've obviously never seen Gaishu do one of his 200k in 10 minutes FDR challenges.

That 1 dude.  He dies that is lots of stuff

Why is it that in order to "prove" something you go to the most extreme situation possible?

Most never do that much. 

[IMP]
456 posts
6,272 battles

I don't mind CVs, like at all. However, FDR is something different, it requires little to no skill to play, the guy can just fly around flak bursts and nothing happens because he has a million airplanes in his squadron.

Pretty bad design tbh.

Beta Testers
251 posts
6,314 battles

Before the CV rework you could get deleted in a single pass but AA was working and if the CV player was too careless well he ran out of planes for late game, great potential but resource management.

Now you have infinite planes, multiple attacks per squadron, can stack fires, floods and of course a not working AA.

Then the FDR came out and showed us that things can only be worse....

The next step at this point is the Nimitz class with super hornets and homing missiles....

[SGSS]
Members
5,816 posts
4 minutes ago, Torenico said:

I don't mind CVs, like at all. However, FDR is something different, it requires little to no skill to play, the guy can just fly around flak bursts and nothing happens because he has a million airplanes in his squadron.

Pretty bad design tbh.

But when there gone there gone.  Regents is forever.

Its like losing a turret forever.

[-K-]
7,700 posts
10,145 battles

Spreadsheet says FDR is balansed, comrade!

[SIM]
Members
5,813 posts
9,272 battles

CVs don’t bother me nearly as much as DDs do, and neither curtail my enjoyment of the game. As for the FDR in particular, I’ve heard bad things about it, but FDR captains don’t usually target me.

• Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[-REK-]
762 posts
15 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

Some CV's are ok but more then alot are way OP and the purples know what ones so thats the ones they get, they put a 21 pt capt in them and they just sit back and laugh seal clubbing everyone without even being spotted let alone sunk, they always the last left and more often then not at the top of the list. add Enterprize to the list, this is spelled wrong but Spiean or something like that.. and a few others are way OP   what the hell you can put better rudder, the best AA build and anything else offered and a purple Enterprize and others just laughs at it make 4 passes on you witth 4 hits, they never miss so ur ship is either sunk or nearly sunk and what maybe you shot down 6 or 7 of the squad of planes without do any damage to the actual ship/player and he just goes in 2 seconds grabs more planes and seal clubs the next victim, its bullcrap and spiteful wow allows it rather then fix it.   I down their karm every time i even see one of the OP CV's

If giving negative Karma for the hell of it makes you happy, by all means, your not alone in that department, personally I would not waste the wear and tear on your mouse, as there is already enough clicks in this game.  

If a CV is not in the game and you are in a BB and get a hint that a DD is in the area, what do you do?

If you are in a BB and a Cruiser is being relentless with HE what do you do?

I think the big thing here is that you are not adjusting your game play with CV's, you adjust your game with maps, and other boats.  

Having played over 300 consecutive Random battles and over 100 in ranked with the FDR, I think I can tell you a little bit about the boat.   

• If you want to damage farm you can try, but this only works against noobs, so yes you can get a 200k game, you may not win because you are farming.
  • If you are alone and  spotted  and it is one on one with the FDR, you deserve what is coming to you.  If you are a noob you will soon die, not an insta-death but die you will, your alone.  FDR has to wait 25 seconds after its attack to attack again.  With all other carriers it is almost instant.
  • If you happen to take 8 torps you deserve it, a simple maneuver will cut those torps in half or miss entirely.   The spread of the torps is stupid wide and they are so slow DD's can out run the torps and Cruisers can thread them.
  • Now for those silly BB's on the A and J line I salute you!  Thank you for allowing me to put 8 torps in your side, silly BB's
  • The FDR  will target DD's to contest caps and if they are alone, otherwise it is not a good strategy.
  • The FDR vs Cruisers is tough because the AA is extreme, the slow moving planes means many (not all) will fall before getting to the target, not even worth trying to stick around and try another attack, in that way the FDR trolls its owner,  noobs pay a heavy price for being still and sailing in straight lines.
  • The FDR loves noobs in BB's, especially ones sailing alone....If you haven't got the message here on how to play against an FDR  keep sending that Karma.

I have zero Karma and laugh.   

Oh my stats are hidden to troll stat shamers but here ya go:  of course people will say I suck because im in an OP boat I should be 100%  

image.thumb.png.c666c46ed1f80293f3e4d9843773c276.png

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,852 posts
4,300 battles

To answer the OPs question, I've really stopped playing DDs recently. Sometimes the CV ignores you. But if he decides to single you out there's nothing you can really do about, you now can't do your job, you have to spend the whole game trying to avoid the CV, and he will eventually get you. Yeah, no thanks.

FDR specifically, IMO it's no more broken than any other CV ATM. Yes it does huge damage....IF the whole strike hits. But it has slow planes, bad maneuverability, and horrendous aim and strike cooldown times. This makes it incredibly difficult to hit anything that's not a slow moving BB or CA. If a DD keeps his AA off and dodges around it's nearly impossible to get the planes on target in time to strike. The torps are kind of dinky on their own, so you have to hit with a lot, but they have a very wide spread so only good target is slow BBs. HE bombs hit like a truck, but again you need a big slow target. This all combines to make FDR a potato masher. BB sniping on his own from the back? FDR will murder. Cruiser camping an island alone? FDR clobbers. DD is driving in straight lines with AA on? FDR will delete. Basically it absolutely wrecks bad players. But have a DD that keeps his AA off and sneaks around the map? Good luck dealing with him. BB is near another few ships and moving at a decent speed? Your damage drops immensely. Cruiser is moving, maybe by another ship? Forget it no way you're getting a good drop on him. Basically FDR gets the ability to farm bad players at the cost of having much less ability to kill the good players (and so affect game outcome). Compared to other CVs I think FDR is actually behind the curve in ability to affect game outcome.

41 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

Yeah, cause unicum performance in an already OP class of ship is a good marker of individual ship balance:Smile_facepalm: Put a player of that level in ANY ship and it instantly becomes OP. That's the problem with a lot of playerbase views. They get wrecked by another player and assume it's the ship that OP when in fact it's really the player.

Ships definitely can be better or worse, but by far and away the biggest factor in performance is the player.

• Cool 1

Members
4,150 posts
44,248 battles

The perception of the CV player has evolved over time in this game.

But there are a few types.

The noob. Trying to learn, but has a rudimentary grasp on spot mechanics or team dynamics. Loses planes and is often ambushed or sniped.

Team player. Successful only if the team capitalized on the spotting and executes. Then the CV player attacks targets of opportunity. Attacks DDs

Farmer. Out for themselves. Might win, lose, doesn't really care so long as they farm the crap out of big botes.  Dead giveaway, ignores DDs. Might post videos of damage records to further hype their legend, but it is just hype.

CVs can be countered in most cases and while you might not be able to never get rid of the farmers, just remember that as you learn to mitigate the attacks of any bomb drop, you are learning something.

A video of a farmer teaches nothing.

A video of a CV player that attacks, but their running commentary also gives suggestions on evasion techniques for the ship type they are attacking is credible. But only if that player actually played the ship they are attacking.

I play all ships myself and I do see the perspective of the attack as a CV player and that of the other ship types. I fully know what to do based on ship capabilities.

And players that fully know their ships well usually evade well CV attacks.

The CV game may change further down the line, but it's not like a player can't adjust eventually.

And if WG realizes later a balance issue has arisen, then fully expect some kind of change.

FDR is just the latest. There will be more.

Members
2,462 posts
52 battles
2 hours ago, Ocoda said:

with the FDR and its 18+torpedoes attacks and average 12k on every strike its pretty assured your going to be playing a next round very soon

The funny thing about this is that FDR isn't even particularly powerful compared to other T10 meta options.

The reason why is quite simple. FDR is a damage farmer with terrible match impact. And it isn't even particularly good at damage farming to begin with, in raw damage output other T10s are superior due to a much faster strike cycle. The alpha strike FDR possesses is also in practice not nearly high enough to make up for the slow plane speed and 25s attack cd. For example assuming you hit all 8 torpedoes on an attack, you only deal ~3k more alpha than a Midway would. And if you bring anything less than all ordinance on target with bombs/torps, which is quite likely, you fall woefully behind. FDR in addition lacks versatility as it has trouble taking out the more maneuverable targets which typically also happen to be the ones with high match impact. And finally it is among the few, if not the only CV that cannot reliably evade flak all the time which makes DFAA flak highly dangerous to it.

What FDR gets for all that is large squad sizes and incredibly tanky planes. That funnily enough makes it fairly noob friendly and along with player skill distribution is the premier reason why it does so well statistically. But FDR is not overpowered (or at least not any more than CVs usually are), it's "just" stupidly designed (well, CVs are that in general).

FDR is essentially the Conqueror of CVs. Farms high damage, is unlikely to win the match with it.

Edited by El2aZeR
  • Cool 1

[-REK-]
762 posts
1 hour ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

NONSENSE they are OP and by the looks of ur eblem ur a problem

I like playing all types of boats, as you can see I am not overall a CV main, if anything a DD main, the difference may be that I can think objectively about the class of ship and do not have blinders on for one class of ship.  If I know how the CV plays then I can play effectively against it.

image.thumb.png.d40cfa9c6dbdcf5a19343237664d5931.png

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,758 posts
21,874 battles

I agree with most of the other people here with FDR experience, it's a slow DPM ship with only moderate match impact. Partly this is because it relatively sucks at fighting (smart) DDs, largely it is due to the long reload and transit time to target. Its only unique value is in being able to brute force its way into certain heavy AA that other CVs can't. And it's not something you'd build a game plan around, except for certain niche CB comps.

NGL though, some days I just pay it to poop on the ball of Thunderers on the B line.

• Cool 2

[-ICE-]
Members
526 posts

look.. idk or really care but i will say it again in very simple terms. They are OP...  most CVs are fine but the OP ones that all the seasond players use are way OP in those types of hands and thats what is out there in randoms at all tiers and way worse in say the clan thing that just past.  dont say dodge them, dont say dont go broadside just dont because when half your ship it taken and you have no options none of ur AA is helping, no priority is stopping it, the flag, none of any the options for AA anyplace seem to matter, forward reverse, hard turns even with upgraded rudder dont work, left right stop none of it works even on a nimble DD let alone a cruiser or bb...  the CV takes a huge chunck out of you but that wasnt enough then it turns and you AND the 3 other ships with you are all firing and its still not stopping the planes its coming again nailed again now you less then 1/4 left all 3 of us still firing he turns and whipes the ship out 2 still firing he turns and get another shot in on them. THAT is way OP and near every game one of you are in with a OP carrier and do it over and over and over nearly every game.  i will say it till i feel otherwise most of the CV's being used by the purples are to way to much.     well anyway im not posting anymore on them it is what it is   

Edited by CRZY_TRAIN