Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lady_Athena

Cookie Consent.. hmm...

51 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,445
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
1,176 posts
3,077 battles

Kinda strange this is the first time they've hit me with a cookie consent on the website... The timing is what's odd isn't it? Losing player base by the dozens.. Many people upset for quite some time.. PAYING players to recruit...

Now you want me to consent to cookies.. which can be then sold for profit by them... hmmm..... Just saying.. the timing is... odd after all these years NOW is when they decide to turn that stuff on..

--------------

It's cool they let me use the forums without clicking Accept though... if I do find they used my info haha jokes on them since I never accepted..

 

Edit: As someone mentioned, and I already knew, you need to do this according to GDPR.. I already knew that, I just didn't make it clear really.. But still... that timing you know? NOW of all times? Not 2 years ago? A year ago? Kinda funny timing to suddenly start caring.....

  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
252
[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
1 minute ago, Lady_Athena said:

Kinda strange this is the first time they've hit me with a cookie consent on the website... The timing is what's odd isn't it? Losing player base by the dozens.. Many people upset for quite some time.. PAYING players to recruit...

Now you want me to consent to cookies.. which can be then sold for profit by them... hmmm..... Just saying.. the timing is... odd after all these years NOW is when they decide to turn that stuff on..

--------------

It's cool they let me use the forums without clicking Accept though... if I do find they used my info haha jokes on them since I never accepted..

More likely, WarGaming is getting their act together with respect to GDPR which requires cookie consent. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,763
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

If you click on the settings, you can block most of it, or at least that's what the settings say.  

Firefox and Brave both have features to block third-party cookies, fingerprinting, and other methods of tracking your activity.

You can also download Privacy Badger, NoScript, etc, to prevent most tracking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,198
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,488 battles

Yeah, just got that. Who knows what triggered it. I figure WG has all my info already so it doesn't really matter at this point:Smile_sceptic:

Also, my first thought on seeing that ribbon was "bet there's going to be multiple posts about this." Scroll down and bingo...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,579
Members
6,609 posts
13,446 battles

As noted - all websites have to do this that are covered by GDPR and has been going on for about 2 years now.    BTW - losing players "by the dozens" will not really affect anything in the grand scheme of things.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,445
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
1,176 posts
3,077 battles
4 minutes ago, WaywardVariable said:

More likely, WarGaming is getting their act together with respect to GDPR which requires cookie consent. 

But still.. that timing you know? lol..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
761
[P-V-E]
Members
1,822 posts

the player-base on all servers bar the Russian servers is trending upwards, its only the Russian server that is trending downwards.

 

There are quite a lot of Europeans who play on the NA server.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
252
[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
1 minute ago, AJTP89 said:

Who knows what triggered it.

General Data Protection Regulation brought to you by your friends at the European Union. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,445
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
1,176 posts
3,077 battles
6 minutes ago, WaywardVariable said:

More likely, WarGaming is getting their act together with respect to GDPR which requires cookie consent. 

I knew that, just saying.. The timing.. Not 2 years ago? Not 1 year ago? NOW after they start pushing for more recruits, trying to push people towards the shop even more so, and are losing player base by a large margin? The timing is kinda funny.

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,092
[GOB]
Members
3,834 posts
2 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

I knew that, just saying.. The timing.. Not 2 years ago? Not 1 year ago? NOW after they start pushing for more recruits, trying to push people towards the shop even more so, and are losing player base by a large margin? The timing is kinda funny.

I've been seeing that notice from many different companies lately.  I just limit them to the bare minimum.  

Also seeing a BUNCH of apps asking for full time monitoring of locations or just when the app is being used.

I also turn all of those off as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,579
Members
6,609 posts
13,446 battles
3 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

I knew that, just saying.. The timing.. Not 2 years ago? Not 1 year ago? NOW after they start pushing for more recruits, trying to push people towards the shop even more so, and are losing player base by a large margin? The timing is kinda funny.

Nothing funny about it - t hey all have regulations about it and it was implemented - nothing more.  And as noted - they are not losing large amounts of players.  People think that because of the forums but the forums maybe represent 1% of the actual player base (and very likely a bit less than 1%).

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
252
[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
1 minute ago, Lady_Athena said:

I knew that, just saying.. The timing.. Not 2 years ago? Not 1 year ago? NOW after they start pushing for more recruits, trying to push people towards the shop even more so, and are losing player base by a large margin? The timing is kinda funny.

Well I'd imagine that the timing has something to do with the EU recently been cracking down on compliance and WG probably wanting to avoid being fined. 

OR

If they were already in compliance on their EU site, they're just standardizing compliance across the rest of their regional sites (which a lot of companies are doing).

In any case, I wouldn't read anything nefarious into it since Cookie Consent isn't a bad thing when you compare it to the alternative (injecting cookies onto your system WITHOUT your consent).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
458
[WOLFH]
Members
1,105 posts
5,933 battles
9 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

But still.. that timing you know? lol..

04E0FC11-BE62-4835-9741-50E7FECAECDF.jpeg.cd9d88ac2c779c79cc70a13504ad8731.jpeg

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,890
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,143 posts
28,842 battles
Just now, CylonRed said:

Nothing funny about it - t hey all have regulations about it and it was implemented - nothing more.  And as noted - they are not losing large amounts of players.  People think that because of the forums but the forums maybe represent 1% of the actual player base (and very likely a bit less than 1%).

No that isn't true. The forums are filled with just a few percent of the player base but there is no reason we are not representative of the player base as a whole. Not sure where that 1% figure comes from. I heard Wargaming say it was like 2 or 3% (I forget) but when I asked them if that was total accounts or active players they wouldn't answer. Regardless, I find zero reason to believe that forum participants do not accurately represent a good cross section of all active players. 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,199
[WOLFG]
Members
15,623 posts
16,780 battles
5 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

I've been seeing that notice from many different companies lately.  I just limit them to the bare minimum.  

Also seeing a BUNCH of apps asking for full time monitoring of locations or just when the app is being used.

I also turn all of those off as well.

Yeah, a bunch more cookie banners on a bunch of websites recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,763
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
4 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

No that isn't true. The forums are filled with just a few percent of the player base but there is no reason we are not representative of the player base as a whole. Not sure where that 1% figure comes from. I heard Wargaming say it was like 2 or 3% (I forget) but when I asked them if that was total accounts or active players they wouldn't answer. Regardless, I find zero reason to believe that forum participants do not accurately represent a good cross section of all active players. 

It's one of those great unproven canards that gets dredged up more and more vehemently, the more overwhelmingly negative the feedback is on something WG does.  

Same thing happens to reddit, and discord, and every other venue.

If the forum or reddit or wherever is 99% against something, the 1% will rant that said venue is "not representative!" 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,137
[UBC]
Members
2,280 posts

Funny how they make the notice big enough to make it a pain. Lol no manipulation there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,890
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,143 posts
28,842 battles
6 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Yeah, a bunch more cookie banners on a bunch of websites recently.

Hrm I wonder if there is pending legislation somewhere or if companies are just getting out ahead of any potential legal concerns coming down the pipes. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
373
[BPGSS]
[BPGSS]
Members
835 posts
14,432 battles

This notice appears to be in response to a new California privacy law. I've seen quite a few of them over the last few months on various website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,763
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Read through the details carefully. 

They have advertising, tracking, and 3rd-party cookies inside the "absolutely necessary" category, which means you need to rely on your browser and any plugins to block those cookies etc. 

ads.samba.tv
static.criteo.net
placed.com
ninthdecimal.com
ispot.tv
myvisualiq.net
Etc. 

 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,137
[UBC]
Members
2,280 posts

Funny how they did not even label the switches  with an on/off  label to make them more clear.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,861
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
5,016 posts
14,471 battles
25 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

NOW after they start pushing for more recruits, trying to push people towards the shop even more so, and are losing player base by a large margin?

They been pushing for recruits for a while they didn't just start and it's not just this game that's putting up cookie consent there's been a whole lot of sites doing the same recently  .

Edited by clammboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,056
[SALVO]
Members
12,936 posts
8,598 battles
47 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

I knew that, just saying.. The timing.. Not 2 years ago? Not 1 year ago? NOW after they start pushing for more recruits, trying to push people towards the shop even more so, and are losing player base by a large margin? The timing is kinda funny.

Most likely Cyprus government is enforcing the regulations

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×