Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

5 comments in this topic

Members
32 posts
22,556 battles

I understand Fen Yang's tweaks from her sister IJN destroyer Akizuki in regards to gunnery performance. However, Fen Yang's torpedoes currently fill a niche role that ventures into Asashio's territory. For those who don't know what I am referring to, Fen Yang currently has a deepwater variant of Akizuki's upgraded torpedoes, the Type93 mod. 2's, that have longer range (12km instead of 10km), slightly longer reload, and lowered detectability (0.8km instead of 1.7km); but the inability to damage destroyers & cruisers. Fen Yang's torpedoes can only hit battleships and aircraft carriers, similar to Asashio. Fen Yang's torpedoes are in direct conflict with the other Pan-Asian deepwater torps, which possess the ability to hit cruisers.

I have a proposed change regarding Fen Yang's torpedoes. Give Fen Yang a deepwater variant of the stock Akizuki torpedoes, the Type92 mod. 1, with the ability to hit cruisers as well as battleships & aircraft carriers. The torpedo alpha would be reduced from the current 20,967 damage down to 17,233, the speed & reload would be reduced slightly, and the range reduced to 10km. Considering that Fen Yang only has one quad torpedo launcher, I don't think this change in torpedo armament would make Fen Yang overpowered in any way. The torpedo stats would be a slight nerf, however the ability for Fen Yang's torpedoes to damage cruisers would bring this destroyer back in line with the various other Pan-Asian destroyer torpedoes, while allowing Asashio to do what she does best: hunting battleships & CVs.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
2,313 posts
22,870 battles

I was looking forward to this ship initially.  She has been so slapped down it is no longer appealing.  

[WOLFC]
Members
2,533 posts
10,981 battles

Fen Yang’s combination of low HE pen and 12km “super” deep water torpedoes is a poor design decision. She lacks the tools to fight cruisers, as well the speed and concealment to avoid them. A half-competent cruiser screening for the BBs on their team renders her mostly harmless, given the relatively short range of the torpedoes (i.e. 12km vs 20km found on Asashio).

Edited by Nevermore135

[DVYJC]
Members
3,862 posts
9,675 battles

For Wargaming's next premium destroyer, we'll have a torpedoless Tier X destroyer with a focus on consumables. It will have a single 113mm gun mount with a ten-second reload time, but to make up for the slightly lesser offensive power, it will also get both crawling and regular smoke, radar, hydroacoustic search, DFAA, speed boost, MBRB, a spotter plane, and catapult fighters. It features decent armor compared to its peers at 19mm thickness and reasonably good speed at 30 knots.

As a tradeoff for the wide variety of consumables, the 'S' and 'D' keys will have to be remapped as the activation keys for the spotter plane and catapult fighters.

As an added bonus, it will have a 76mm secondary gun with a ten-degree broadside firing arc to the port side of the ship only, allowing you to surprise other players when you achieve the Close Quarters Expert achievement!

The ship also has a single 3,500-ton kinetic impact warhead torpedo that does up to 25,000 damage when equipping a special signal, but players will need to aim this torpedo carefully, as it only travels at 30 knots with a 7 km base detection range.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[MUG-T]
Members
331 posts
3,813 battles
On 2/4/2021 at 7:18 PM, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

As an added bonus, it will have a 76mm secondary gun with a ten-degree broadside firing arc to the port side of the ship only, allowing you to surprise other players when you achieve the Close Quarters Expert achievement!

Unknown-23.jpeg.d2e9f5ba77109f914821de420c827117.jpeg

Sign in to follow this