You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
bubbleboy264

Haven't played in a while, but might come back, any good guides to commander rework?

31 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
455 posts
7,127 battles

As title says, I haven't played WoWs in more than 6 months as I've been too busy for it but might be able to play a bit again. I completely missed the commander rework and have no clue how it works. Can anyone point me to some good guides on the rework/new meta? I don't know if my commanders have had their skills reset or anything and I don't know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. 

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles

I'd stay right where you were, not playing for a little while more.

• Cool 7
  • Meh 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,172 posts
19,039 battles

LWM made a good general one for DDs of different builds (stealth torp, generalist, gunship) with an "Angryyoutuber" heading. She should be adding BBs soon. Cruisers might take a while.

Obviously specific ships may need to vary from that list. Personal preference will also dictate certain choices.

Edited by Sabot_100

Members
574 posts
7 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I completely missed the commander rework and have no clue how it works.

Neither do the devs. 

Here's an explanation of dead eye skill for BB's.

89qg1z435ve61.png

• Funny 4
  • Meh 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
266 posts
4,333 battles

Why not try it out yourself, discover what works for you and what doesn't? Wouldn't that be a good way to ease yourself back into the game? There are free commander respecs for at least another couple of days or more. Lots of this stuff is personal preference anyways. You may find you like certain skill combinations someone else doesn't. 

• Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
36 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

As title says, I haven't played WoWs in more than 6 months as I've been too busy for it but might be able to play a bit again. I completely missed the commander rework and have no clue how it works. Can anyone point me to some good guides on the rework/new meta? I don't know if my commanders have had their skills reset or anything and I don't know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. 

@Lord_Zath YT channel have you covered...

Everyone is testing so at this point and time... No one is definitive on certain builds...

[K-POP]
Members
4,847 posts
13,435 battles

Zath has a bunch of recommendations as mentioned above. LWM is also (slowly) doing general build posts for the different types, with the destroyer one already posted a few days ago.

There are also a few guides that have been shared a lot with build suggestions for all the t10s (which would almost all work on the rest of the respective tech trees) as well as some lower tier ships that need specific builds, usually premiums. One from 07 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1985UEEd0YFM7CGDJKVymI-TWyYjADKOd89rHdgx0mfE/edit?usp=sharing), and one from the tutors on the Help Me discord server (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XfsIIbyORQAxgOE-ao_nVSP8_fpa1igg0t48pXZFIu0/edit?usp=sharing). I tend to like the builds from that second link more, although I have made some changes to a few of the ones I've used. Of course, you're also free to tweak any of the suggestions to fit your wants and needs, either before or after playing them.

Also, remember that retraining is free this patch (around two weeks left), and there's a one time use 'reset all commanders' button on the rework news article (https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/commander-skills-update/) that's valid until the morning of the 15th.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,247 posts
23,677 battles

Thanks! Here's what I put together with the help of my community two weeks ago. With luck, this will help you feel more comfortable with the new skills and how they work (or don't).

Edited by Lord_Zath
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,538 posts
22,303 battles
16 hours ago, bubbleboy264 said:

Just in case you are not aware.

There is a free respec for captains until next patch due Feb 17 (Check your local time).

There is a web link in one of the news to a button that will reset all your captains at once.

Be aware that the link works only once.

• Cool 1

[RBMK]
Members
2,203 posts
34,979 battles
16 hours ago, OuijaApologist said:

Neither do the devs. 

Here's an explanation of dead eye skill for BB's.

89qg1z435ve61.png

Congratulations! You win the forum response of the day!

Well Done!

[NAVAL]
[NAVAL]
Members
239 posts
13,802 battles

i wouldn't come back right now. hell i'd recommend everyone leave for a few months and they might get a clue how bad they screwed the game up. 

• Boring 1

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
449 posts
6,252 battles

Welcome back. People will try to scare you away because they feel frustrated with the game, so they must project their frustration at everyone else. But you make your own experience now, stick around, play for a while, read/watch the guides you've been provided with and enjoy the game for what it is, a game about pixel boats.

• Cool 1

Members
1,539 posts

Welcome back.

When you discover the primo build for a ship share it.

All my captains including the 5 - 21 pointers are unassigned skills.

I do this because I am not a Trial and Error type.

A "Naked captain" doesn't affect the exp or credit earnings of his or her ship.

If you see me in game don't use your binocks unless you wanna see my dingaling.

[SGSS]
Members
5,758 posts
17 hours ago, bubbleboy264 said:

Cruiser are go no stealth but more gun power or stealth less guns.

Dead eye for BB.

Cv have a lot of new toy but you have to take faster torp arm.

1 cap work for all class which is very cool.

[SGSS]
Members
5,758 posts
2 hours ago, Lord_Zath said:

Thanks! Here's what I put together with the help of my community two weeks ago. With luck, this will help you feel more comfortable with the new skills and how they work (or don't).

My kids love sappy.

Will you please tell WG they have make a new Capy cartoon!!!

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,247 posts
23,677 battles
5 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

My kids love sappy.

Will you please tell WG they have make a new Capy cartoon!!!

Will do!

[ARGSY]
Members
23,385 posts
17,319 battles
14 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Also, remember that retraining is free this patch (around two weeks left), and there's a one time use 'reset all commanders' button on the rework news article (https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/commander-skills-update/) that's valid until the morning of the 15th.

This.

@bubbleboy264, if I were you, I would push that button to reset all your captains' skills, then sit tight. Ignore the fearmongering and doomsaying that's going on here.

Go on/sign up for the Public Test server and do a LOT of playing around with stuff there, where you have practically infinite resources to do so and all re-specs and retraining are free.  If you've been away for six months, staying out of the thick of it for another month or so while you get things sorted out and experience the changes in a risk-free environment might not be the worst idea.

Watch as many streams and YouTube vids as you can, getting various people's perspectives on which of the new skills are best and which to be avoided and how it's working out for them in-game.

Then and only then should you settle on your captain-skill builds.

[CCTV2]
Members
41 posts
10,030 battles

at this point, the only thing about skill rework that matters:

"STAY AWAY FROM WORLD OF WARSHIP, REPEAT, STAY AWAY FROM WORLD OF WARSHIP!!!"

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,766 posts
4,771 battles
On 2/3/2021 at 7:58 PM, bubbleboy264 said:

I don't know about 'good' guides.  The below is still pretty rough.  (Well, the article is, but the skills table is pretty good.) It's the most comprehensive I've seen.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLFG]
Members
32,288 posts
10,008 battles
On 2/3/2021 at 8:58 PM, bubbleboy264 said:

If nothing else, get on there and reset all your captains, or they'll be given "default" skills when the free respec ends. 

You do NOT want that!!

I did 100 captains manually, took me maybe 10 minutes, but there's a link on the website (I don't know where exactly) that will reset them all at once.

I cannot emphasize this enough, RESET ALL YOUR CAPTAINS!!!!

Something else you might wish to do, if you have some spare dubs, is retrain some captains to different tech tree ships at a 90% discount. You no longer need 2 different BB captains to have 2 different builds for a premium BB.

I ended up transferring an IJN and USN 19-pointer to Shima and Gearing, where they only had 14-pointers before, and they still have builds for Musashi and Georgia.

[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
On 2/3/2021 at 5:58 PM, bubbleboy264 said:

I would suggest you read this page first:

Commander Skills Update | World of Warships

That will give you all the basics regarding what happened with the rework, how to mass reset your commander skills all in one shot, what the discounts for skill resets (free) and commander moves (50 dbl) are and when they expire, also the low down on how to sell commanders for ECXP and how the new ECXP system works. 

Once you do that, just have fun trying everything out, it's a lot of fun being able to reset your skills at will and experiment with new things. 

Happy Sailing! 

Edited by WaywardVariable

[FLTF1]
Members
287 posts
7,858 battles
On 2/3/2021 at 10:58 PM, bubbleboy264 said:

First thing, coming back or not, just go and reset all captain skills asap. You have like 10 days to do it, but do it right now. There is a reset buton that resets all commanders you have at once

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/resetting-skills-for-all-commanders/

but only works one time.
Even if you come back 1 year from now, the caps will be reset and you can calmly read guides and distribute the points.

Members
865 posts

The rework has been a debacle. It hollowed out cruisers, while encouraging BBs to play even more passive than usual.

Honestly, I'd find another game for a while. There are a number of new releases, like D-yson S-phere, which are interesting.

• Boring 1