You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DrHolmes52

REALLY?

14 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
11,810 posts
10,962 battles

I know bots can torpedo you, but when they do as much damage as the bots with their guns, something is going on.  We were about 6km from each other, and there was nothing to shoot at.

shot-21.02.03_16.22.50-0157.jpg

[CO-OP]
Members
2,845 posts
28,456 battles

That is amazing; 76K potential damage, and only 6 hits (for no damage.)  There goes the theory about bots having homing artillery shells.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,810 posts
10,962 battles
6 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

That is amazing; 76K potential damage, and only 6 hits (for no damage.)  There goes the theory about bots having homing artillery shells.

Well, there were only two volleys fired at me.  I don't know how many rounds the Minnesota fired, but the Iowa hit with all his shells.

[P-V-E]
Members
1,649 posts

if I recall potential damage was any ordinance hitting or passing within 700m radius of your ship, and is based on the maximum theoretical damage that the shell/bomb/torp/(assumes rocket) can do.

at least that was the case after 0.7.4, however I get the feeling it has been changed again some time later last year, as I have had torps go right past my ship at <200m and they have not registered as potential damage. (bug or change from the 700m radius I don't know).

[RLGN]
Members
15,665 posts
27,399 battles
38 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

HAHA

ROUND GO BOINK

Like that torpedo did against the Kongo at mountainous Roi-Namur in Midway...

(Except I don’t think a Kongo was ever at Kwajalein, and the Roi and Namur islets there are flat as pancakes...)

[REVY]
Members
2,639 posts
14,459 battles
12 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Well, there were only two volleys fired at me.  I don't know how many rounds the Minnesota fired, but the Iowa hit with all his shells.

Reading the screenshot, Iowa appears to have only hit you 3 times, same as Minnesota, so unless the Iowa only fired one turret at you the Bot did not hit with all his shells.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,810 posts
10,962 battles
Just now, Lord_Slayer said:

Reading the screenshot, Iowa appears to have only hit you 3 times, same as Minnesota, so unless the Iowa only fired one turret at you the Bot did not hit with all his shells.

The bot only fired 1 turret.  With nothing available to shoot at.  And I was like 6km away, so it wasn't like we were spooning.

There was a spotted ship that was behind an island like 15km away, so maybe the programming got confused.

But even for bots this was strange behavior.

[SALVO]
Members
3,098 posts
7,088 battles
13 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I know bots can torpedo you, but when they do as much damage as the bots with their guns, something is going on.  We were about 6km from each other, and there was nothing to shoot at.

shot-21.02.03_16.22.50-0157.jpg

I don't understand what the problem is supposed to be here. Potential damage has always been greatly inflated.  It counts full damage value ( citadel damage) from shells.  That's why people get potential damage in the millions  regularly.

Edited by eviltane

[VOP]
Members
961 posts
13 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

Maybe there is a difference between homing and being hit and homing into your citadel? lol For me it seems to be the latter.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,810 posts
10,962 battles
7 minutes ago, eviltane said:

I don't understand what the problem is supposed to be here. Potential damage has always been greatly inflated.  It counts full damage value ( citadel damage) from shells.  That's why people get potential damage in the millions  regularly.

It was just that the Iowa on my team (a bot) up and decided to shoot 1 turret at me, with nothing around red to shoot at.

I've had humans do this, but never bots (torps excluded).

[SALVO]
Members
7,046 posts
5,529 battles
13 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

76K potential is about 1 or 2 BB salvos, nothing really. 

What I wonder is, the module hit/no damage thing wasn't supposed to had been corrected some patches ago? 

[REVY]
Members
2,639 posts
14,459 battles
31 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

The bot only fired 1 turret.  With nothing available to shoot at.  And I was like 6km away, so it wasn't like we were spooning.

There was a spotted ship that was behind an island like 15km away, so maybe the programming got confused.

But even for bots this was strange behavior.

Yeah, Bot behavior confuses me at times.

They will ignore the closest ship actually firing on them, to fire on a ship further out. I had thought at one time that they were targeting a lower health ship, but there have been times when that lower health ship was closer to the bot, and it still fired on the further target.

12 minutes ago, Airjellyfish said:

If ships are close together, does only one ship receive the potential damage from an incoming or do all ships close enough receive it?

All ships receive it.

I was playing as an Un-spotted DD, moving to smoke a spotted BB. Shells went over my DD and hit or went over the BB, but as they came close enough, the potential damage counter clicked up.

• Thanks 1