You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

E.Loewenhart bombs dont seem to.....

17 comments in this topic

[SGSS]
Members
5,776 posts

Bombs are suppose to have 12200.  I dont see damage anywhere new that.

Anyone experiencing this?

Edited by jags_domain
  • Haha 1

[K-POP]
Members
4,851 posts
13,468 battles

The damage listed in port/game for any given armament is the maximum alpha damage, which is only possible if you hit the citadel. Normal non-citadel pens do 33% of the listed max damage (4067 per bomb in your specific example), while overpens do 10% (1220 for your bombs). Damage saturation can also reduce the amount of damage done, down to 10% on a fully saturated section. If you pen a turret, you deal pen damage to that turret’s hit pool but only overpen damage to the ship’s health.

Torpedoes follow a similar system, but not completely identical. They will do max damage when they hit (damage saturation coming into play the same way as above), but that max damage can be reduced by the target’s torpedo damage reduction.

If your torps do 10k damage, hitting a ship without a torpedo reduction (or a section without on a ship that has one), will do the full 10k as fully healable damage. If you hit a torp belt (for this example with a 40% reduction) your damage gets reduced by that amount to 6k but is then treated as citadel damage as far as healing goes. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,776 posts
1 hour ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

The damage listed in port/game for any given armament is the maximum alpha damage, which is only possible if you hit the citadel. Normal non-citadel pens do 33% of the listed max damage (4067 per bomb in your specific example), while overpens do 10% (1220 for your bombs). Damage saturation can also reduce the amount of damage done, down to 10% on a fully saturated section. If you pen a turret, you deal pen damage to that turret’s hit pool but only overpen damage to the ship’s health.

Torpedoes follow a similar system, but not completely identical. They will do max damage when they hit (damage saturation coming into play the same way as above), but that max damage can be reduced by the target’s torpedo damage reduction.

If your torps do 10k damage, hitting a ship without a torpedo reduction (or a section without on a ship that has one), will do the full 10k as fully healable damage. If you hit a torp belt (for this example with a 40% reduction) your damage gets reduced by that amount to 6k but is then treated as citadel damage as far as healing goes. 

Thank for the detail.

There HE bombs? They will never hot the c it except on rare occasions.

[B_Y_F]
Members
685 posts
15,449 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

Anyone experiencing this?

In my experience, there is two ship in your match making can let you do that HE citadel damage (reasonably repeatable).

Emerald, T5 RN CL. Drop around her funnel, a piece of very thin citadel roof there. 

Pyotr Velikiy, T5 USSR BB.  Drop around her X Turret, also citadel roof there. This is harder than Emerald for sure because you will hit that X turret a lot. 

Also, T6 USN CV Ranger has a piece of thin citadel wall under her funnel outside you can try. But in my 90 games I only hit that once. 

Members
2,420 posts
52 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

Loewen bombs are HE bombs. There are only a few ships with an exposed and thin plated enough citadel in its MM spread where you can score the full damage. Otherwise the maximum damage you'll be getting is penetration damage.

1 hour ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

If your torps do 10k damage, hitting a ship without a torpedo reduction (or a section without on a ship that has one), will do the full 10k as fully healable damage.

It should be added that such hits will yield full damage only for as long as the area of the ship isn't fully saturated. Once that happens you will only score 50% damage on subsequent hits. And it's fairly easy for those areas to become damage saturated since they usually only have a few thousand HP.

So depending on how high the TDS value of the ship you're attacking is it may actually be preferable to attack sections of the ship covered by TDS unless you're going for floodings.

[SGSS]
Members
5,776 posts
37 minutes ago, sapient007 said:

In my experience, there is two ship in your match making can let you do that HE citadel damage (reasonably repeatable).

Emerald, T5 RN CL. Drop around her funnel, a piece of very thin citadel roof there. 

Pyotr Velikiy, T5 USSR BB.  Drop around her X Turret, also citadel roof there. This is harder than Emerald for sure because you will hit that X turret a lot. 

Also, T6 USN CV Ranger has a piece of thin citadel wall under her funnel outside you can try. But in my 90 games I only hit that once. 

Us rockets are citadel makers on Ranger.

[WPORT]
Members
8,141 posts
13,187 battles

Erich Loewenhardt's HE bombs are useful against DD's, though.

Sure you can use the HE bombs on every ship type.
The E.L.'s available aerial ordnance has AP rockets, slow torpedoes and, last-but-not-least, HE Bombs.
Of those three, the HE bombs are the most reliable for use against DD's, unless you use the torpedoes to catch a DD napping inside it's own smokescreen.

[B_Y_F]
Members
685 posts
15,449 battles
5 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Erich Loewenhardt's HE bombs are useful against DD's, though.

I feel those HE bomb are a little OP against DD TBH.  One pass and 2/3 HP gone is a little bit too much. 

Members
528 posts
17,379 battles
22 minutes ago, sapient007 said:

I feel those HE bomb are a little OP against DD TBH.  One pass and 2/3 HP gone is a little bit too much. 

They're hard as hell to actually hit with though. 

[REVY]
Members
2,639 posts
14,459 battles
12 hours ago, Telastyn said:

This.

With AA firing, a DD maneuvering, and the RNG of the Bomb drop, it's hard to get a hit.

And the German CVs are supposed to be the more 'DD Friendly' CVs.

[GRETA]
Members
1,384 posts
10,609 battles
13 hours ago, Telastyn said:

The trick is time your drop so you release the bombs at the last possible second, the planes are closer so dispersion has less chance to causing you to miss.  Also try to drop perpendicular to the ship's side, in my experience the bombs tend to spread left and right more often than they go forward and back.  Doing this i typically land at least 1 bomb on dd's about 70%, I land 2 bombs about 20% and I wiff about 30%.  Hope this helps.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles

I wonder what they would do to the under-tier light cruisers in Aegis and Newport.

Members
528 posts
17,379 battles
6 hours ago, HallaSnackbar said:

The trick is time your drop so you release the bombs at the last possible second, the planes are closer so dispersion has less chance to causing you to miss.  Also try to drop perpendicular to the ship's side, in my experience the bombs tend to spread left and right more often than they go forward and back.  Doing this i typically land at least 1 bomb on dd's about 70%, I land 2 bombs about 20% and I wiff about 30%.  Hope this helps.

Oh, I am aware. But most Loewenhardt drivers aren't. And even those hit rates pale compared to rocket attacks or even US DBs.

[GRETA]
Members
1,384 posts
10,609 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I wonder what they would do to the under-tier light cruisers in Aegis and Newport.

They hit hard but it really isn't the right tool for the right job as the ap rockets absolutely destroy light cruisers.

Ordinance targets in order of importance,  effect and influence; 

Rockets - light cruisers, heavy cruisers, if you have to hit a BB aim for superstructure,  if you have to hit a dd understand damage will be minimal. 

Dive bombers- DD's, BB's, cruisers.  I put DD's before BB's for 2 reasons 1) getting DD's off the map is more impactful 2) DB's are realistically the only tool you have for DD's

Torpedo bombers - BB's, Cruisers, to force movement on DD's

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
8,141 posts
13,187 battles
2 hours ago, HallaSnackbar said:

They hit hard but it really isn't the right tool for the right job as the ap rockets absolutely destroy light cruisers.

Ordinance targets in order of importance,  effect and influence; 

Rockets - light cruisers, heavy cruisers, if you have to hit a BB aim for superstructure,  if you have to hit a dd understand damage will be minimal. 

Dive bombers- DD's, BB's, cruisers.  I put DD's before BB's for 2 reasons 1) getting DD's off the map is more impactful 2) DB's are realistically the only tool you have for DD's

Torpedo bombers - BB's, Cruisers, to force movement on DD's

@Ensign_Cthulhu, I agree with @HallaSnackbar's assessment.

[WPORT]
Members
8,141 posts
13,187 battles
22 hours ago, sapient007 said:

And one good torpedo salvo can do that or more to a CV or a BB.
So... fair is fair, eh?  :-)

[SGSS]
Members
5,776 posts
13 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

And one good torpedo salvo can do that or more to a CV or a BB.
So... fair is fair, eh?  :-)

Very true.