You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MCLD08302003

Task impossible to complete

20 comments in this topic

[CLEAN]
Members
10 posts
15,631 battles

This is about the Honorable Service Camapign, Mission 3, task 4 (Earn i "High Caliber" achievement with CV).

I started to play back CV a couple weeks ago to get the task done... After getting 8 top hits on a broadside Montana and did only 20k of damage i went to see the stats of torpedoes carried by CV's and the one's on the Gearing in WOWS.

CV:

On my Midway, torps carried by the planes are type Mk7, mod 1 (which in real life was a 1925 design NOT USED in WWII) with a warhead of 90Kg - damage max in game is 5067

The real standard aerial torps used by the US were the Mark 13 in WWII - warhead of 183Kg for Mod0 and up to 272-275KG on Mod10

DD:

On my gearing, i have the Mark 17 installed (which is correct for WWII use). They had a Warhead of 399Kg - damage max ingame is 17900

Where i'm going with all this is that the torp values for aerial torpedoes should be put higher. Let's say they put the Mark13 Mod0 in place of the Mk7 and comparing with the warhead values we would get a max damage of 10303 per torps which would be more like the real thing. Without values changed this achievement is just impossible to get since the cv re-work.

I know a lot have been written about CV and god i hate them when on a DD, but the values are way too low imo. And i just wanted to point that this task is now impossible and hope one day WG modify this one and they don't tought the CV.

There is also the task of receiving 1,500,000HP potential damage in a DD in a single battle AND survive that is complete crap...

And yeah, with these 2 all campaigns would be completed for me :)

• Boring 1

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,366 posts
17,001 battles

you can selected task/s you had done before and just repeat it until you get enough stars to complete the campaign. You will not get the reward the 2nd time.

3 minutes ago, MCLD08302003 said:

[FEM]
Members
2,107 posts
17,376 battles

1.5 million potential is routine for a good dd often. As for carrier torps, they're what they are for balance, this is an arcade game more than it is a sim game we have to remember that. You'll get high caliber in your midway by DOT stacking, not torp alpha

[KWF]
Members
5,754 posts
6,994 battles

Aside from the obvious thing that you can repeat completed tasks again, consider that this campaign is before CV rework, when alpha of most CVs was higher. 

[RLGN]
Members
15,636 posts
27,325 battles
6 minutes ago, Kebobs22 said:

1.5 million potential is routine for a good dd often.

Can I laugh at this?

Even conceding it may be so for some, it isn’t for others.

Maybe it’s a consequence of what I needed to do to survive in Mutsuki in particular, and other destroyers in general, but to me a ‘good destroyer’ is NEVER seen.

Now, @Lord_Zath did much to convince me that isn’t always the case; but old habits die hard.

• Boring 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,543 posts
11,014 battles
45 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Maybe it’s a consequence of what I needed to do to survive in Mutsuki in particular, and other destroyers in general, but to me a ‘good destroyer’ is NEVER seen.

Soviet and French DDs would beg to differ. If you aren’t visible and being shot at, you’re doing something wrong. :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
17,649 battles
1 hour ago, MCLD08302003 said:

This is about the Honorable Service Camapign, Mission 3, task 4 (Earn i "High Caliber" achievement with CV).

I started to play back CV a couple weeks ago to get the task done... After getting 8 top hits on a broadside Montana and did only 20k of damage i went to see the stats of torpedoes carried by CV's and the one's on the Gearing in WOWS.

CV:

On my Midway, torps carried by the planes are type Mk7, mod 1 (which in real life was a 1925 design NOT USED in WWII) with a warhead of 90Kg - damage max in game is 5067

The real standard aerial torps used by the US were the Mark 13 in WWII - warhead of 183Kg for Mod0 and up to 272-275KG on Mod10

DD:

On my gearing, i have the Mark 17 installed (which is correct for WWII use). They had a Warhead of 399Kg - damage max ingame is 17900

Where i'm going with all this is that the torp values for aerial torpedoes should be put higher. Let's say they put the Mark13 Mod0 in place of the Mk7 and comparing with the warhead values we would get a max damage of 10303 per torps which would be more like the real thing. Without values changed this achievement is just impossible to get since the cv re-work.

I know a lot have been written about CV and god i hate them when on a DD, but the values are way too low imo. And i just wanted to point that this task is now impossible and hope one day WG modify this one and they don't tought the CV.

There is also the task of receiving 1,500,000HP potential damage in a DD in a single battle AND survive that is complete crap...

Easiest way to complete these is to keep doing the easier tasks over and over until you get enough stars.  Most of them can be done in co-op pretty quickly, I breezed right through the Honorable Service campaign.  I don't play CV so I don't even look at the CV specific tasks lol.

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,461 posts
13,117 battles
1 hour ago, MCLD08302003 said:

CV:

DD:

You're saddled with 1925 torps popping 5K damage because she drops them six at a time. Mark 13's only do 6K or so (Lexington and Enterprise have them) WG doesn't want CV's one shotting things anymore.

1.5mil potential damage is a bit high to do regularly, but it's not exactly uncommon. Dodge a couple torp volleys, couple salvos from a battleship in your zip code, it adds up quick.

[FEM]
Members
2,107 posts
17,376 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Can I laugh at this?

Now, @Lord_Zath did much to convince me that isn’t always the case; but old habits die hard.

I did give the caveat of "good" destroyer, of which there are not a large number. And I was also speaking more about high tier. At low tiers like Matsuki theres less potential damage thrown around regardless. A Shima has solid guns and shouldn't go all game without using them, Mutsuki does not, so I could see you staying unseen most of a game in that

• Cool 1

[NEMO]
Members
221 posts
10,674 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Aside from the obvious thing that you can repeat completed tasks again, consider that this campaign is before CV rework, when alpha of most CVs was higher. 

I believe he is trying to complete EVERY task in every campaign...sounds like he's completed all tasks except these 2.

Members
4,348 posts
3,255 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Can I laugh at this?

You should be seen on occasion. It takes the attention away from other shops and is a distraction.  It's a cat and mouse game

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,231 posts
23,632 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Can I laugh at this?

<3

• Cool 1

[BEA5T]
Members
547 posts
17,289 battles

Not sure what WOWS staff was thinking when they came up with this campaign.    Every single task can only be completed in Randoms or Ranks.   Oh but wait when it comes to the final TASK oh well you can do it COOP. 

For some of us COOP mains lets just say its a Royal PITA.

Screenshot 2021-02-03 172732.png

[RLGN]
Members
15,636 posts
27,325 battles
2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Soviet and French DDs would beg to differ. If you aren’t visible and being shot at, you’re doing something wrong. :cap_rambo:

Don’t play the Baguettes that much, and for the most part stopped at Guepard.

The higher tier RU destroyers (except maybe Grozovoi,) seem to be such ‘greased pigs on an ice rink,’ dodging seems to be something they’ll get around to next game, maybe, if they feel like it...

Khab seems to be the worst of the lot. The thing turns like all it has for a rudder is a one-man survival raft oar.

Prefer not to be seen in them.

1 hour ago, Kebobs22 said:

I did give the caveat of "good" destroyer, of which there are not a large number. And I was also speaking more about high tier. At low tiers like Matsuki theres less potential damage thrown around regardless. A Shima has solid guns and shouldn't go all game without using them, Mutsuki does not, so I could see you staying unseen most of a game in that.

Only started using Shima maybe 2019 Christmas-ish? But it does seem to have decent guns.

22 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

You should be seen on occasion. It takes the attention away from other shops and is a distraction.  It's a cat and mouse game

Other shops? :cap_hmm:

The very point Zath made.

[DVYJC]
Members
3,868 posts
9,713 battles

I'm such a terrible CV player that I've given up on every getting the "With Honors" achievement because of my inability to get a High Caliber achievement with a CV.

[WPORT]
Members
8,077 posts
13,146 battles
2 hours ago, Noworriesderpy1 said:

Not sure what WOWS staff was thinking when they came up with this campaign.    Every single task can only be completed in Randoms or Ranks.   Oh but wait when it comes to the final TASK oh well you can do it COOP. 

For some of us COOP mains lets just say its a Royal PITA.

Screenshot 2021-02-03 172732.png

I hear you.
I'm currently working on the first stage of the Honorable Service campaign.
Some of the tasks are going to be repeated, because others are not likely to be completed (by me, at least).

As a comparison, the Five Epochs of the Navy campaign was fun to work on.
Honorable Service is more challenging, for sure.
https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Honorable_Service

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,754 posts

One from about a month ago.

shot-21.01.01_01.11.22-0604.jpg

[TIMT]
Members
1,354 posts
4,896 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

The higher tier RU destroyers (except maybe Grozovoi,) seem to be such ‘greased pigs on an ice rink,’ dodging seems to be something they’ll get around to next game, maybe, if they feel like it... 

Khab seems to be the worst of the lot. The thing turns like all it has for a rudder is a one-man survival raft oar.

The trick is using acceleration instead of rudder: go full throttle and broadside for a while, then start turning away to kite. slow down to maybe 1/4 or 1/2, or even reverse. Then it is a bit of a judgement call whether to accelerate or go full reverse when you see the shots coming in. If you do it right, all of them will be either short or go over the ship. If you do it wrong, well... you'll notice.

The idea is that the potential are for these DDs to change position in, for a given amount of time such as the shell travel time, is much higher when you use acceleration instead of rudder. Angling the ship outwards also makes it much harder for the reds to estimate your speed correctly, as well as making you a smaller target all together.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,026 posts
13,956 battles
6 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

WG doesn't want CV's one shotting things anymore.

And yet WG added in the FDR.