You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Meta_Man

The rise of the aggressive DD player

21 comments in this topic

[META_]
Members
1,680 posts
17,752 battles

Hello captains , If you are not from another world you have noticed the added passivity of the battleships and cruiser players since the captain rework . The passivity started before the rework , I have a video on that also but now with the added skill of dead eye even more passive play has come . The cruisers are being deleted faster and from further away from cap . It is not my place to judge if this is good or bad thing but have to decide the best way to approach this game . In my opinion becoming a good if not great capper , knife fighter and also able to defend ones self from CVs . Whos self reliant will become the future of DD play until the the passive play declines . In this video I give some of my thoughts on how to attack this current meta . My Youtube channel is Meta_Man2002 please subscribe if you like my aggressive approach and my way of coming from a different point of view than min stream youtubers . It is always good to get a few point of views ,happy hunting captains .

• Cool 9

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,106 posts
11,764 battles

All hail Smaland:). I know that’s not relevant to the video but I’ve found myself playing aggressive in the right circumstance and you can control the map, especially in ranked if played right.  Eliminate the dd and then it’s torpfest time. Thanks for the video 

[META_]
Members
1,680 posts
17,752 battles
3 minutes ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

All hail Smaland:). I know that’s not relevant to the video but I’ve found myself playing aggressive in the right circumstance and you can control the map, especially in ranked if played right.  Eliminate the dd and then it’s torpfest time. Thanks for the video 

I agree , with how things are panning out this meta will push the IJN DD winrates even lower sadly . If you watched the video you can see my point of view and can see where these skills I point out will become even more important now , thanks for the comment .

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
1,420 posts
10,988 battles

I will have to watch that this evening. I just got the Chung Mu and had meh results until I upgraded the torps. Now it is a beast.  

I can drive deep into the caps and end up getting first bloods on hapless BBs.  If I can get a game in my F3 Shima that has no CV, it is also a lolboat.

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,680 posts
17,752 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

I will have to watch that this evening. I just got the Chung Mu and had meh results until I upgraded the torps. Now it is a beast.  

I can drive deep into the caps and end up getting first bloods on hapless BBs.  If I can get a game in my F3 Shima that has no CV, it is also a lolboat.

The Pan Asian is the only line I havent pushed to tier 10 yet . Keep me updated on how you like them .

• Cool 1

[F_O_G]
Members
30 posts
18,350 battles

Great video and totally agree with your view that knife-fighting DDs will do well for the current evolution of WoWs.

• Cool 2

[META_]
Members
1,680 posts
17,752 battles
7 minutes ago, mm2012 said:

My preferred DD is the Lightning, btw.

I love the cossack  , I think the British dds will be one of the nation's that benefit from this type of meta,pun intended..thanks for the comment 

• Cool 2

[F_O_G]
Members
30 posts
18,350 battles
13 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

I love the cossack  , I think the British dds will be one of the nation's that benefit from this type of meta,pun intended..thanks for the comment 

Yes, I absolutely agree with you RN DDs are going to do well!  I don't have the Cossack yet but I tried the Cossack as a turkey, it's a good ship with the speed boost!  And Jutland and Daring gets even better with the heal!  But I miss the power of Lightning/Cossack's 120mm versus the 113mm guns.

[F_O_G]
Members
30 posts
18,350 battles

Your videos are very good Meta_Man, I'm subscriber number 357!

(reminds me now of the .357 magnum cartridge)

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,680 posts
17,752 battles
1 minute ago, mm2012 said:

Your videos are very good Meta_Man, I'm subscriber number 357!

(reminds me now of the .357 magnum cartridge)

Thanks captain, let's all conqueror this meta,lol

• Cool 1

[F_O_G]
Members
30 posts
18,350 battles

Roger that Meta_Man!!      :BB::CA::CV::fish_viking:

So glad to have come across your topic, rest of the world of warships people are just talking about camping or whining about the current meta!

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Members
2,085 posts
18,787 battles

Now now, discounting the IJN Gunboats may be a fairly serious error and the IJN has some pretty decent ones.  HSF Harekaze, Akizuki, Kitakaze, and Harugumo.   And even the FXP Hayate can be gunboat specced, though speccing her for torps may be wiser.

I just picked up the Unique module (smoke)  for the Harugmo which uses a different upgrade slot from the special Module for smoke and they do stack!  The opportunities this has opened up are rather phenominal.

My smoke now lasts for just under 2 minutes, and the next smoke is up with commander skill  right on 90 seconds after the smoke dissipates.  Smoke generation runs for a blazingly long 57.2 seconds allowing you to fairly easily lay a several Kilometer smoke screen for your team.  The tactical opportunities of this on a DD spec'ed for guns out to 15 Km with 10 gun tubes and a down right scary rate of fire should be obvious!  with the right skill you can have up to 5 smoke charges too.  With less cruisers running about right now the opportunities are rife for an aggressive DD player that just happens to have some aggressive BB and Cruiser players on the same team.    I had 4 matches yesterday where I was able to lead the team in a push that battle balled the opposing team away from their home cap, away from most any hard cover and with damn few options other then commit to a close range fight because they had no place left to pull back to to use dead eye.  Had no issues at all getting the opposing BB's to turn and run usually reducing their main gun power by 50% in the process.  None of them had specked anything I'm guessing to deal with a close range fight such as increased rate of fire for main guns and secondaries when enemy ships are within secondary range.. (a commanders skill.)  When paired with extended range on secondaries (also a commander skill) can be quite nasty on BB's and even cruisers.. but ya gotta take risks... ohhhhhh scary stuff!  Being able to smoke up in extended duration smoke became a serious advantage.  

But yea, passive play.  Yea,  gotta teach these kids that that is not going to get you wins, and to paraphrase from Harry Potter.  "Stay away from the 1 and 10 line unless you wish to suffer a painful and ultimately  futile death". 

Perhaps we can once again have a "Happy Time" for DD Players...lord knows we've been catching it in the short hairs for some time now.  Of course the down side for the kids in the spam cruisers and BB's and CV's is the "Average" DD player just to be effective has to be in reality quite good.   Let get out there and teach them what that really means!

Warlord sends

(and yea, did a handle change, see ya in match.   Planes away, guns out, torps up, heads down and good hunting!) 

Edited by Warlord_Deadeye_Pete
  • Cool 2

Members
420 posts
7,719 battles

Watched your video and frankly agreed with everything you said. Played last night with my div mate and we were honestly about done with the game towards the end of the evening. Every gorram match was all Thunderers and Yamatos and if we were in BB's we had to move in to reach the long range red ships sitting at the back of their spawn so we got focused. I tried my Wooster for a couple of matches but to hit anything I literally had to move to the caps and fight amongst the islands which actually was sort of fun but meant for brief matches. We were about ready to quit the game for good when we moved down to T7 and dds. There we actually had a little more fun although we were playing more aggressively than was wise as we were in Akatsuki's so knife fights were ending as you'd expect.(I'm only a mediocre player). We both came to the conclusion that brawling dd's were the only via route for fun so the timing of your video was perfect for us. 

Frankly I'm moving on to Star Citizen but I will still play a few matches a week here although we will have to focus our playstyle to really enjoy it. Which saddens us as we have both been playing weekly since closed beta. 

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,680 posts
17,752 battles
1 hour ago, Warlord_Deadeye_Pete said:

Now now, discounting the IJN Gunboats may be a fairly serious error and the IJN has some pretty decent ones.  HSF Harekaze, Akizuki, Kitakaze, and Harugumo.   And even the FXP Hayate can be gunboat specced, though speccing her for torps may be wiser.

I just picked up the Unique module (smoke)  for the Harugmo which uses a different upgrade slot from the special Module for smoke and they do stack!  The opportunities this has opened up are rather phenominal.

My smoke now lasts for just under 2 minutes, and the next smoke is up with commander skill  right on 90 seconds after the smoke dissipates.  Smoke generation runs for a blazingly long 57.2 seconds allowing you to fairly easily lay a several Kilometer smoke screen for your team.  The tactical opportunities of this on a DD spec'ed for guns out to 15 Km with 10 gun tubes and a down right scary rate of fire should be obvious!  with the right skill you can have up to 5 smoke charges too.  With less cruisers running about right now the opportunities are rife for an aggressive DD player that just happens to have some aggressive BB and Cruiser players on the same team.    I had 4 matches yesterday where I was able to lead the team in a push that battle balled the opposing team away from their home cap, away from most any hard cover and with damn few options other then commit to a close range fight because they had no place left to pull back to to use dead eye.  Had no issues at all getting the opposing BB's to turn and run usually reducing their main gun power by 50% in the process.  None of them had specked anything I'm guessing to deal with a close range fight such as increased rate of fire for main guns and secondaries when enemy ships are within secondary range.. (a commanders skill.)  When paired with extended range on secondaries (also a commander skill) can be quite nasty on BB's and even cruisers.. but ya gotta take risks... ohhhhhh scary stuff!  Being able to smoke up in extended duration smoke became a serious advantage.  

But yea, passive play.  Yea,  gotta teach these kids that that is not going to get you wins, and to paraphrase from Harry Potter.  "Stay away from the 1 and 10 line unless you wish to suffer a painful and ultimately  futile death". 

Perhaps we can once again have a "Happy Time" for DD Players...lord knows we've been catching it in the short hairs for some time now.  Of course the down side for the kids in the spam cruisers and BB's and CV's is the "Average" DD player just to be effective has to be in reality quite good.   Let get out there and teach them what that really means!

Warlord sends

(and yea, did a handle change, see ya in match.   Planes away, guns out, torps up, heads down and good hunting!) 

Sounds like fun...I actually have been testing  the RPF , CE , and the 4 point 8% speed combo it has been decent to get better angles with my IJN DDs....We are on the same page....passive will never win long

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,680 posts
17,752 battles
26 minutes ago, Terkoz said:

Watched your video and frankly agreed with everything you said. Played last night with my div mate and we were honestly about done with the game towards the end of the evening. Every gorram match was all Thunderers and Yamatos and if we were in BB's we had to move in to reach the long range red ships sitting at the back of their spawn so we got focused. I tried my Wooster for a couple of matches but to hit anything I literally had to move to the caps and fight amongst the islands which actually was sort of fun but meant for brief matches. We were about ready to quit the game for good when we moved down to T7 and dds. There we actually had a little more fun although we were playing more aggressively than was wise as we were in Akatsuki's so knife fights were ending as you'd expect.(I'm only a mediocre player). We both came to the conclusion that brawling dd's were the only via route for fun so the timing of your video was perfect for us. 

Frankly I'm moving on to Star Citizen but I will still play a few matches a week here although we will have to focus our playstyle to really enjoy it. Which saddens us as we have both been playing weekly since closed beta. 

Hope you hang in there . Aggressive is the way to go but not yolo , it is a fine line . Calculated isolation of DDs then you own the caps...Some times we will still lose like I did in the Kidd but you will win more than you lose , good luck captain .

• Cool 2

[F_O_G]
Members
30 posts
18,350 battles

Truly the rise of the aggressive DD!

image.thumb.png.0e1f40f8971e28114535784ed8a85466.png

Edited by mm2012
Better screenshot
  • Cool 1

[F_O_G]
Members
30 posts
18,350 battles

Took your advice from your videos and implemented them!  

Proactive play beats passive play all day!

Thank you Meta_Man!

Edited by mm2012
  • Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,680 posts
17,752 battles
15 hours ago, mm2012 said:

Took your advice from your videos and implemented them!  

Proactive play beats passive play all day!

Thank you Meta_Man!

You get it :cap_win: , If you look at sports teams the best teams in history have almost always been the takers , the aggressive . With the chubbies forcing the cruisers back also it opens the gates for the rise of the good knife fighter ,cap bully . Glad I am not alone here ,lol. Happy hunting