You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
pcgamer001

Cruisers are useless

53 comments in this topic

[ABCD3]
Beta Testers
63 posts
2,745 battles

Just insta citadel from 20 km backline camper. Cruisers were the last fun run for me now they are utterly useless. Rework is terrible spent a lot on this game time to move on. 

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 2

[X-PN]
Members
1,577 posts
12,147 battles

Incoming alert skill is more valuable these days.

That said....if you are a cruiser, it is early game, and you get detected....well... its shooting gallery time.  I recently got 1 million potential damage in first 4 minutes in a T7 cruiser.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,932 posts
5,487 battles

IFA cost is 1 pt, if you are suffering from 20 km citadel disease I recommend you take IFA on every cruiser two times a day after meals, when the Incoming message brights red, shake your booty and be somewhere else.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 2

[RBMK]
Members
2,202 posts
34,890 battles
12 minutes ago, pcgamer001 said:

Just insta citadel from 20 km backline camper. Cruisers were the last fun run for me now they are utterly useless. Rework is terrible spent a lot on this game time to move on. 

Changing speed and direction constantly when detected is even more important now.

Not certain IFA even helps.

Try to be more unpredictable.

That’s all I’ve got.

• Cool 4

[PVE]
Members
7,852 posts
23,792 battles
1 hour ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Changing speed and direction constantly when detected is even more important now.

Not certain IFA even helps.

Try to be more unpredictable.

That’s all I’ve got.

IFA is OP helpful for those shots...takes 15 seconds at least for those to get there...a lot easier to dodge when you have that kind of alert ..just maneuver until the red goes away & most everything if not all will miss you.

Even from closer ranges if you maneuver until the red goes away you usually only end up taking chip damage...

Helps to be at speed instead of sitting still camping though so take that rudder shift mod.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[WAIFU]
Members
887 posts
11,596 battles

cruisers are strong asf this patch. If you build them for dpm and position correctly you can easily farm everyone on the field.  The best way to deal with what you wrote OP is positioning and improving when you are seen and what actions you are taking in battle.

• Meh 1

[CDOH]
Members
770 posts
8,188 battles

it actually seems that long range shots are more deadly to cruisers if they hit.  Perhaps because the shells slow down enough and actually arm more than overpen at distance.  Cruiser play is not fun right now.  Cant use islands and concealment builds cause Cvs and Long range is much more deadly cause deadeye.  If there are any cruiser experts i would appreciate some tips.

• Cool 2

Members
1,022 posts
3,050 battles

I haven't noticed any change. Cruisers still get blapped on occasion by a long range salvo but most of the time been cautious and tactical (ie. Don't draw attention to yourself, especially in open water) works. 

[PHD]
Members
1,844 posts
7,262 battles

Kind of like playing a DD in CoOp. When spotted by an aircraft at the start of the game turn hard and watch all the shells from bot ships, even ones not in sight, land where you would have been. Don't turn, oh well.

I like getting a citadel on a CV at 30 km. The Champagne could do it before the skills rework. 

Edited by GrayPanther2018
Additional information

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,250 posts
16,091 battles

Feel your pain...playing Ibuki...and well its hard, very hard to get over 100k...Captain Bork has killed the CAs and just about taken the fun out of the game.

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
445 posts
6,223 battles

Yeah, I'm sure cruisers are dead now, like destroyers! Anybody remember destroyers? You know these small boats that fired some tubes that went boom... you know, everyone plays battleships these days, and CVs of course. Dead classes I tell you! Believe me folks, tremendous BBs killed cruisers and CVs evaporated DDs. It's true!

*sigh*

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,160 posts
18,991 battles
14 hours ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Kind of like playing a DD in CoOp. When spotted by an aircraft at the start of the game turn hard and watch all the shells from bot ships, even ones not in sight, land where you would have been.

In my experience that works OK against human players but the bots have a really good course calculator that lets them place shells where you will be if you continue the turn. If you turn after the shells are fired it works, except when the bots get guided shells that hunt you down no matter what you do.

One of the downsides of constant heavy WASD is that it will take forever to actually get anywhere.

[F4E]
Members
314 posts
9,603 battles

Absolutely agree on the utility (and need for) Incoming Fire Alert -- and don't forget that in addition to your rudder, you can also change your throttle.  Slam on the brakes AND throw the rudder over (port or starboard...either works just as well).

Even if those BBs are sniping you from range with Dead Eye and such, that just means that the shots will be in a tighter grouping around the point where they were aimed.  You have the time and space to have your cruiser not be in that location when those shots arrive.

if you are spotted, and you are at all broadside to the enemy, YOU MUST MANEUVER....IMMEDIATELY and without hesitation.  

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
684 posts
8,012 battles
8 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

In my experience that works OK against human players but the bots have a really good course calculator that lets them place shells where you will be if you continue the turn. If you turn after the shells are fired it works, except when the bots get guided shells that hunt you down no matter what you do.

The bots hit you if you're hitting them.

Doubt it? Get within 5km of a bot and start hitting the ocean around it. It's funny as hell, and pretty useful if you're running coop in a DD looking for torp hits and such.

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,178 posts
6,367 battles

"don't make yourself a target" = don't actively play the game. 

People don't seem to get it, you open fire...you get targeted by 4 or so ships camping the back. It suddenly becomes MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE and then you eat it. 

Passive gameplay is passive....

• Cool 3

[CDOH]
Members
770 posts
8,188 battles

Full AA build wooster seem pretty good.  I got AA defense expert in 2 out 4 games.  Getting into range  is a problem to actually shoot guns.  I am pushing up near cap but everything is so far back.  I have no backup cause my BBs are so far back.  This game play feels awful as a close support cruiser.

Edited by Rothgar_57

[A-I-M]
Members
3,846 posts
14,851 battles
18 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

IFA cost is 1 pt, if you are suffering from 20 km citadel disease...

Cue Dire Straits:

”Next patient, please. Send in another victim of blap citadel disease!!”

• Haha 1

[-AGW-]
Members
1,017 posts
16,208 battles

The real trick in this game is learning how to dodge incoming fire. 

[CVA16]
Members
6,160 posts
18,991 battles
1 hour ago, Kartaugh said:

The bots hit you if you're hitting them.

Not sure about that, I might have to check.

However, I am familiar with getting spotted early by bot planes in a DD when there is nothing in range to shoot at and having shells rain down. In a tight turn the bots have little trouble predicting where you will be. Something MOST humans struggle a bit with. The bots know your speed (no guessing from the smoke), when you kick your rudder over, when you fire torps and when you load AP.

On the other hand, bots will miss the unmissable shot and do other dumb bot things to balance things out.

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
684 posts
8,012 battles
1 minute ago, Sabot_100 said:

Not sure about that, I might have to check.

However, I am familiar with getting spotted early by bot planes in a DD when there is nothing in range to shoot at and having shells rain down. In a tight turn the bots have little trouble predicting where you will be. Something MOST humans struggle a bit with. The bots know your speed (no guessing from the smoke), when you kick your rudder over, when you fire torps and when you load AP.

On the other hand, bots will miss the unmissable shot and do other dumb bot things to balance things out.

I have had a bot BB shoot 12 shells at my Gremy at a range of 3km and miss all of them. I was shooting at the water. Then I tested on the next BB, and at 8km I hit a few shots and got blapped for 11k. Started shooting the water and survived the next salvo with no hits and torped him too.

It's not foolproof (it has backfired on me once or twice), but it's pretty good.

[CVA16]
Members
6,160 posts
18,991 battles
38 minutes ago, Rothgar_57 said:

Full AA build wooster seem pretty good.

Seems like the success of that build is highly dependent upon there being at least one CV in the match AND the CV(s) don't have softer targets to molest.