You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

Shima 20k torps?

21 comments in this topic

Members
7,122 posts
22,043 battles

Is this the time for DD's (Asashio and Shima) to launch torps and then go make a sammich? If BB's camp now, is it now time to saturate the B line with pleasant surprises? I think it is. 

Float em if you got em!

See the source image

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,338 posts
17,511 battles

Assashio yes Shima no. 

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
5,771 posts
7,007 battles

Asashio is plain hilarious now that it can get 74kts on it's torpedoes without sacrificing practically anything. One of the big (but silent) winners of the skill rework.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,288 posts
9,988 battles

16.5km is enough for me and Gearing....

Those 20km Shima torps get seen from space.

TBH though, it's only with a CV in the game I'm tempted to do that. Otherwise, I just cap a point or two, and then chase the BBs.

Edited by Skpstr

[PVE]
Members
7,856 posts
23,816 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

16.5km is enough for me and Gearing....

Those 20km Shima torps get seen from space.

TBH though, it's only with a CV in the game I'm tempted to do that. Otherwise, I just cap a point or two, and then chase the BBs.

Think the idea ease/all the BBs sitting 30km back the 20mm range allows you to not need to enter the red's spawn so deep to chase the BBs....but the 16.5s should do just fine for that also :-)

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
2 hours ago, Pura__Vida said:

Is this the time for DD's (Asashio and Shima) to launch torps and then go make a sammich? If BB's camp now, is it now time to saturate the B line with pleasant surprises? I think it is. 

Float em if you got em!

See the source image

If a CV or a cruiser with hydro or radar will let you... Test it out.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,512 posts

I wasted enough time with those crappy 20K torps that can be spotted so far out you can swim far enough not to worry about them.

I use 12km or even faster 8km. Getting into the battlewagon cheap seats way back there in red territory is not difficult. I might have to sink the odd DD with RDF first to get through.

You want really fast torps minimum 75 knots. That way they will hit the BB that detected them anyway, especially the ones sitting still.

Edited by xHeavy

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,488 posts
22,872 battles

Spent 4 battles trying to get a full torp boat 20km shimmy with uu to work...

2.7 km us too large a detection for torps...

12 km worked better, and my uu guns actually won a gunfight with a holland.

[TWFT]
Members
11 posts
15,359 battles

I am using the 20km torps on my Shima. They are seen from space but with Dead Eye almost all BB's are zoomed in trying to snipe. I am averaging around 100k last few games in mine. But I do agree with dEsTurbed1 as soon as BB's actually start paying attention, its back to the 12km torps. 

[SYN]
Members
1,420 posts
10,997 battles
13 hours ago, xHeavy said:

I wasted enough time with those crappy 20K torps that can be spotted so far out you can swim far enough not to worry about them.

I use 12km or even faster 8km. Getting into the battlewagon cheap seats way back there in red territory is not difficult. I might have to sink the odd DD with RDF first to get through.

You want really fast torps minimum 75 knots. That way they will hit the BB that detected them anyway, especially the ones sitting still.

84 knot torps are a blast. 

Members
7,122 posts
22,043 battles
41 minutes ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

84 knot torps are a blast. 

Before this game became a spotter fest I used to run the 6.4k torps, get full ramming speed and nuke a full BB or even two. Granted It didn't always work but the fun factor was off the charts. I also tried a few games with the 20k's in my Shima, they are as horrible I as recall. Switching back.

Members
501 posts
8,320 battles

Yeah, the whiners cried hard about the IJN torps, and got them all nerfed a few years ago. The Shimmy's 20km torps are basically worthless now, unless you are trying to hit someone not moving or afk. I personally use the 12km torps on my Shimmy, and I still think those get detected too far away.  Sad part is, it's still the same issue. The guys getting pummeled by my torps, 90% of the time are either not moving for one reason or another (sitting in smoke, sniping in the back, etc.), or sailing in a straight line for long periods of time. The rest are usually just blind dumb luck on my part, or bad luck on theirs.  IE, a torp I fired at someone else, finding a new home.  Had some poor Minotaur back out from behind an island a few days ago, and eat 4 I fired at a stationary bow tanking Musashi. I like my Gearing's torps, they just don't pack quite the punch.

• Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
1,420 posts
10,997 battles
2 minutes ago, Valas1 said:

Yeah, the whiners cried hard about the IJN torps, and got them all nerfed a few years ago. The Shimmy's 20km torps are basically worthless now, unless you are trying to hit someone not moving or afk. I personally use the 12km torps on my Shimmy, and I still think those get detected too far away.  Sad part is, it's still the same issue. The guys getting pummeled by my torps, 90% of the time are either not moving for one reason or another (sitting in smoke, sniping in the back, etc.), or sailing in a straight line for long periods of time. The rest are usually just blind dumb luck on my part, or bad luck on theirs.  IE, a torp I fired at someone else, finding a new home.  Had some poor Minotaur back out from behind an island a few days ago, and eat 4 I fired at a stationary bow tanking Musashi. I like my Gearing's torps, they just don't pack quite the punch.

The thing with the 20 km torps, is you can shoot so many of them. I had a screenshot where I had fired 105 torpedoes in a game. I only hit 5, but had a really good game. 

[A-D-F]
8,755 posts
50 minutes ago, Valas1 said:

Yeah I think that "used" to be the case but so many BBs are hiding in the back and zoomed into the scope with deadeye.....I am actually getting a lot of hits on things that I didn't even aim at...

I am not kidding.  "There is probably a BB back there somewhere doing something dumb".  Launch, launch, launch, at nothing.  (5 minutes later)....hit, hit, hit, flood, hit, hit, you sunk a thunderer!....lulz.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,369 posts
13,703 battles
15 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

12 km worked better, and my uu guns actually won a gunfight with a holland.

Wait. Shima's UU buffs her guns?

[A-D-F]
8,755 posts
6 minutes ago, chewonit said:

No.

shot-21.02.03_10.27.27-0914.jpg

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,488 posts
22,872 battles
5 hours ago, chewonit said:

Actually no, makes turrets rotate really slow...

Holland just sailed straight as I kited, so I didn't need to turn turrets.

[-K-]
[-K-]
7,691 posts
10,099 battles
On 2/2/2021 at 5:01 PM, paradat said:

Assashio yes Shima no. 

This is correct. Though I'd add a caveat: Shima's 20km torps may work if you're pretty good with setting up drops that cannot be dodged (e.g. into bottlenecks), because of their awful spotting range. Still, 12km torps are preferable.

Or, better yet, don't even play Shima in the post-0.8.0. meta, and just go brrrr in Halland.

[REVY]
Members
8,282 posts
6,118 battles

I found the 20km more useful for targeting stationary CVs with.

Members
7,122 posts
22,043 battles
47 minutes ago, vak_ said:

This is correct. Though I'd add a caveat: Shima's 20km torps may work if you're pretty good with setting up drops that cannot be dodged (e.g. into bottlenecks), because of their awful spotting range. Still, 12km torps are preferable.

Or, better yet, don't even play Shima in the post-0.8.0. meta, and just go brrrr in Halland.

which is arguably the cruelest cut of all, start ignoring the real ships that brought many of us to this game......

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,407 posts
10,647 battles
On 2/2/2021 at 7:31 PM, xHeavy said:

you have to fire the shima 20kms in a certain pattern to close the gap between the torps. Then its just a matter of predicting where the targets sail, not just blindly use the lead indicator. 

I get most of my 20km hits firing blind at expected BB paths anyway :P 

However, I do agree the 20kms should have their detect range lowered significantly. Its just dumb. I'd be happy if they lowered their damage to something between Halland and Gearing torp damage and reduced the detection to 1.3km. Hit rate goes up to compensate for damage loss ..and the shima be happy and victim be happy since dodging them is far less damaging even if he takes a hit or two.