You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kizarvexis

Be careful when you move a Cmdr from one tech tree ship to another tech tree ship

21 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
20,163 posts
13,049 battles

I finished researching Republique and moved the Cmdr George Fleury from Alsace to Republique, as that is to be his permanent ship assignment, and that I spent the dubs to retrain him. I have Charles Henri Honore assigned to Alsace, so it's not like there was no one assigned to Alsace. When I went into the Cmdr menu of Alsace to move Honore in, there was a recall Cmdr button there that I accidently pushed. It wanted to recall George Fleury from Republique which seems silly. I moved and retrained him, so why should the game be wanting to recall him from another tech tree ship? I understand if he was on a premium ship, but since I retrained him to another tech tree ship, why should this be active?

I didn't lose anything, but wanted to bring attention to a possible bug and warn other players to be careful when moving Cmdrs from tech tree ship to tech tree ship. An accidental recall may undo your Cmdr move to a new tech tree ship.

Edit: After you play a game in the new ship, the Cmdr will not be recalled to the old ship. Looks like the recall is linked to the Cmdr that last played on the ship. If you have multiple Cmdrs, they *may* be ranked by who played in the ship last. So when you are moving a Cmdr to a new tech tree ship, be careful with the recall and assign buttons until you play the Cmdr in the new ship.

Edited by Kizarvexis
  • Thanks 3

[PSV]
Members
531 posts
19,643 battles

It's more of a convenience feature. It's very useful for moving commanders from tech tree ships to premium ships and back.

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
32,359 posts
10,021 battles
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

I understand if he was on a premium ship, but since I retrained him to another tech tree ship, why should this be active?

Because the function of recall is very simple, it brings back the last captain played.

Once you get used to the UI, you'll click off center, so the recall button doesn't appear under the cursor.

I agree that it is unintuitive, but I've grown used to that from WG lol.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
20,163 posts
13,049 battles
Just now, madmikey77 said:

It's more of a convenience feature. It's very useful for moving commanders from tech tree ships to premium ships and back.

Oh, I agree 100%. But I moved the Cmdr to Republique, the T10 tech tree ship. It was his final destination as I moved him up the tree. The recall button appearing for a Cmdr on another tech tree ship is probably not a good idea.

Just now, Skpstr said:

Because the function of recall is very simple, it brings back the last captain played.

Once you get used to the UI, you'll click off center, so the recall button doesn't appear under the cursor.

I agree that it is unintuitive, but I've grown used to that from WG lol.

I understand what it is for and it's great for moving Cmdrs from tech tree to premium and back again, but probably should be disabled once you retrain the Cmdr on another tech tree ship.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,433 posts
17,387 battles
12 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I finished researching Republique and moved the Cmdr George Fleury from Alsace to Republique, as that is to be his permanent ship assignment, and that I spent the dubs to retrain him. I have Charles Henri Honore assigned to Alsace, so it's not like there was no one assigned to Alsace. When I went into the Cmdr menu of Alsace to move Honore in, there was a recall Cmdr button there that I accidently pushed. It wanted to recall George Fleury from Republique which seems silly. I moved and retrained him, so why should the game be wanting to recall him from another tech tree ship? I understand if he was on a premium ship, but since I retrained him to another tech tree ship, why should this be active?

I didn't lose anything, but wanted to bring attention to a possible bug and warn other players to be careful when moving Cmdrs from tech tree ship to tech tree ship. An accidental recall may undo your Cmdr move to a new tech tree ship.

Thanks for the warning. I don't anticipate any re-postings in the immediate future, but this is good to know. 

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
751 posts
10,280 battles

I use this Recall Commander button often to bring back commanders to their respective ships with one click.  Also an easy way to bring them to whatever premium(s) I'm also training them on.  Very convenient for me!
Posting a picture here of the button being talked about in case anyone's not already familiar with it.

image.png.e37fe9147bd3195325584381d68041c2.png

[SNGNS]
Members
601 posts
6,996 battles

as said, recall commander recalls the last played commander. it does not care if its a tech tree ship or a premium ship... i like it for that. i can see why this would be annoying but you do have enough dubs to retrain him a few times.

[PVE]
Members
20,163 posts
13,049 battles
9 minutes ago, Altwar said:

I use this Recall Commander button often to bring back commanders to their respective ships with one click.  Also an easy way to bring them to whatever premium(s) I'm also training them on.  Very convenient for me!
Posting a picture here of the button being talked about in case anyone's not already familiar with it.

image.png.e37fe9147bd3195325584381d68041c2.png

Oh, it's great for pulling the Cmdr back from a premium ship. Just expect that when you assign the Cmdr to a new tech tree ship, like when you are running up the tree for the first time, you can inadvertently recall the Cmdr after he has moved up.

7 minutes ago, TobTorp said:

as said, recall commander recalls the last played commander. it does not care if its a tech tree ship or a premium ship... i like it for that. i can see why this would be annoying but you do have enough dubs to retrain him a few times.

Yeah, but a LOT of players move a Cmdr up the tree as they unlock it. So then you don't want to recall the Cmdr back to a lower tier ship.

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,546 posts
22,351 battles
48 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I really don't see a simple way to avoid this.

I would only say hoover over the recall button, it shows which captain you are going to recall.

But it's something you must get used to.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,806 posts
4,771 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

Hey Kiz, good to see you again.

Yeah, I think it is a bug.  Premium ships act this way and recall the previously assigned commander even though there is one specialized for them.  I can live with it, though I'd prefer otherwise.

TT ships should recall only currently-specialized commanders.

@Hapa_Fodder

[PPNA2]
[PPNA2]
Members
74 posts
19,661 battles

My question for WG is why would you have to retrain a capt from any ship in that line since he was already trained to that line of ships? Saying I went up French BB line and kept that capt through that line then he’s trained to T3 to T10 French BB’s. This is issue I have doing line reset now, you reset line now you have to retrain that capt(s) all over again, taking free training which is grind and nothing works till he is trained or use dubs or use ecxp. Just seems as of late that everything is major grind when it doesn’t need to be. 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,806 posts
4,771 battles
12 minutes ago, ChiefEngineman said:

doing line reset now, you reset line now you have to retrain that capt(s) all over again

No you don't.  Just play with lesser captains.  You would have a number of them if you hadn't moved starting at T3.  You should be good enough now that the captain doesn't make all that much difference. 

Besides, one little-noticed rule change: Skills don't work at all while retraining. So you might as well have a zero-point captain.

IMO, the 2nd WORST part of the skills rework is the extravagant cost to obtain lesser captains.  900,000 Cr for 6-pt, 1500 ($6 USD) for 10-pt.  No more option for 1 or 3. 

You'd think they've unionized.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
20,163 posts
13,049 battles

Ok, once I played a battle in Republique, Alsace no longer wanted to pull Fleury back to Alsace. So you only have to be careful until you play a battle in the new ship.

38 minutes ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

I really don't see a simple way to avoid this.

I would only say hoover over the recall button, it shows which captain you are going to recall.

But it's something you must get used to.

They could disable the recall from the tech tree ship when the Cmdr is retrained on another tech tree ship. Likely won't happen, so people will just have to be careful until the play a battle in their new ship.

7 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Hey Kiz, good to see you again.

Yeah, I think it is a bug.  Premium ships act this way and recall the previously assigned commander even though there is one specialized for them.  I can live with it, though I'd prefer otherwise.

TT ships should recall only currently-specialized commanders.

@Hapa_Fodder

Yeah, people will just have to be careful when they move a Cmdr to a new ship until they play a battle in the new ship with that Cmdr. If you aren't careful, you can recall the Cmdr by accident.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,806 posts
4,771 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

Yeah, people will just have to be careful when they move a Cmdr to a new ship until they play a battle in the new ship with that Cmdr. If you aren't careful, you can recall the Cmdr by accident.

Do you get an immediate offer to retrain him (again)?

[PVE]
Members
20,163 posts
13,049 battles
6 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Do you get an immediate offer to retrain him (again)?

Yes, I accidently clicked on the recall on Alsace after retraining Fleury on Republique. It started the recall and asked if I wanted to retrain Fleury for Alsace. Luckily, I only clicked once, so he didn't move back to Alsace. Once I played a battle on Republique with Fleury, it no longer tried to recall Fleury on Alsace. Honore was already assigned to Alsace, but Fleury was the last Cmdr I played on Alsace.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,806 posts
4,771 battles

This is good to know.  I've update the Commanders article with this behavior. 

The Recall Commanders mod had the player designate the primary commander for each ship.  Then it's recall function recalled the primary.  One would have thought the WG version would have adapted some form of that, perhaps assuming that the highest-point Specialized captain was primary so no player input would be required. But no.  Do the dumb.

[PVE]
Members
20,163 posts
13,049 battles
14 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

The Recall Commanders mod had the player designate the primary commander for each ship.  Then it's recall function recalled the primary.  One would have thought the WG version would have adapted some form of that, perhaps assuming that the highest-point Specialized captain was primary so no player input would be required. But no.  Do the dumb.

I bet it makes the Cmdr that last played a battle on the ship the primary Cmdr. I only had two Cmdrs assigned to Alsace, so I don't know if it would rank them by last played on the ship. I would expect so.

[SNGNS]
Members
601 posts
6,996 battles
On 2/2/2021 at 10:52 PM, iDuckman said:

tbf that already sounds like more hassle then most people would want to deal with. this way i think is pretty good. get the last captain you played with on that ship. there is literally only one time this goes wrong, and thats when you get a new ship in the tech tree line and you want to move the captain. and the mod would have the exact same problem from what it seems...

[COSTA]
Members
219 posts
7,948 battles

I learned today that if you hover the mouse pointer over the recall button it will show which commander will be recalled via a pop up box.  Takes an extra second but I’m glass it’s there.

Edit: just realized this was posted above so ignore.

Edited by DM31

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles

There was a mod with the function to bring back a primary captain to the ship. Amazing how modders are always far ahead of WG, who still can't do the same thing years later, let alone better.